Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jason Campbell - this offseason and training camp will tell us a lot

redman

I too think Ramsey is gone. He handled being benched with class and played pretty well coming in cold off the bench. I'm really hoping we can get a mid 2nd rounder for him and that he does well with whomever picks him up. He's really a hard guy not to like and pull for.

As for Campbell there's an element of time involved with regard to Gibbs' tenure here. Next season will be his 3rd and I don't think he'd want to go into his 4th season here giving Campbell his first start. If he starts him next season he'll have two more years to work with him as the starter whereas giving Brunell another year would mean he'd only have two years to develop Campbell.

Of course my reasoning is predicated on Gibbs wanting to get one more Lombardi Trophy before retiring again and Campbell's rate of development.

Jason will be asked to do a lot of what Big Ben did for the Steelers last year. They will simplify the offense for him, and expand it as he grows into the position. Jason and Ben remind me a lot of one another. Big and tall with decent mobility and very accurate passing. Cambell may actually be a better passer then Big Ben. But that is splitting hairs. However, they seem to be in the same genre. Good passers with decent mobility. Versus great runners with okay passing.

Guys like McNair and McNabb started out as great runners with okay passing and now are quite the opposite. I think the same thing will happen with Vince Young. Verdict still out with Vick though.

The good thing about our team is that even if we start out with a simple with Jason, we can still probably win some games due to our sweet defense and the team's good work ethic and execution, and, of course, Joe Gibbs. Then, we will be fully ready to win the Superbowl at the end of the season.

If you really about it, this year Brunell won most of our games because he didn't make too many incredibly stupid decisions, kept drives alive by dumping it off and not forcing downfield all the time, avoided pressure in the pocket, and threw it deep if Moss was covered one-on-one. Hopefully Campbell is ready to do that soon as well.

I have talked to a couple of very knowledeable AU fans and they have total confidence in JC. While they were both Tampa fans as well, their thinking was we would be much better off with JC instead of MB. Accuracy, Poise, Playmaking are three words they used to describe him. SEC fans are pretty demanding when it comes to their athletes so I definately took that as high praise. The future is now, lets see what the boy from MS can do.

While I don't recognize Brunell as the major issue here, I'm excited to see what JC can do. That is if Gibbs feels he's ready, and judging from comments made I'd say he's getting there quickly. IMO that still doesn't change the need to pick up another play maker at WR.

The good thing about our team is that even if we start out with a simple with Jason, we can still probably win some games due to our sweet defense and the team's good work ethic and execution, and, of course, Joe Gibbs. Then, we will be fully ready to win the Superbowl at the end of the season.

If you really about it, this year Brunell won most of our games because he didn't make too many incredibly stupid decisions, kept drives alive by dumping it off and not forcing downfield all the time, avoided pressure in the pocket, and threw it deep if Moss was covered one-on-one. Hopefully Campbell is ready to do that soon as well.

This is the key. All Campbell has to do is avoid serious mistakes. The plays will come in their own time given the talent around him (especially if we get a 2nd WR worth a damn).

The QB on our team only needs to throw about 20 TD's as long as he's throwing 10 or fewer INT's. We're good for 2000+ yards rushing as a team, so that and our defense is all we really need to be a playoff team.

Jason will be asked to do a lot of what Big Ben did for the Steelers last year. They will simplify the offense for him, and expand it as he grows into the position. Jason and Ben remind me a lot of one another. Big and tall with decent mobility and very accurate passing. Cambell may actually be a better passer then Big Ben. But that is splitting hairs. However, they seem to be in the same genre. Good passers with decent mobility. Versus great runners with okay passing.

Guys like McNair and McNabb started out as great runners with okay passing and now are quite the opposite. I think the same thing will happen with Vince Young. Verdict still out with Vick though.

The Big Ben comparison seems to be more on point than any other I've seen. I don't view Jason as having the scrambling ability of a young McNabb. He's mobile within the pocket and athletic enough to make plays rolling out, but a "scrambler" he is not IMHO.

Again, as long as he avoids mistakes and makes even a relative few plays - which is what Ben has done for the Steelers over the last two years - then he'll be just fine starting for us.

• 8 months later...
I wanted to emphasize the above from my original post. Gibbs has a history of sticking with veteran QB's for too long rather than the opposite. It happened with Theismann in 1985 ("mitigated", if you will, by Theismann's career ending injury), Williams in 1988, and Brunell last year. There's an excellent argument to be made that by sticking with Theismann who was playing poorly for as long as he did in 1985, Gibbs sacrificed the playoffs for a team that just missed at 10-6.

I'm not saying I'm in a better position than Gibbs to call this shot - things certainly do have a tendency to work out with him. :) Rather, this is just a statement about his history and propensities.

Short of an injury, the 2006 season is commencing with Brunell as the starter. Book it. I'm just saying that Campbell needs to be in a position to start at QB for us by next year or else I'm going to start having serious concerns about our future at that position. Winning covers up a lot of pimples. :)

Bump. I'm beginning to think we're seeing this play out again before our eyes. :(

Archived