Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bill Belichek vs Gibbs

Jordan086

Even with the Pats' loss today, it is unlikely that the league-wide perception of Bill Belichek will change. He is often called the best coach in the NFL, and I think because of his success the past few years, he deserves the praise he receives. However, I do not think he is the best coach in the league. I think the majority of his success, although he is a great coach, can be attributed to Tom Brady.

Personally I feel that what Joe Gibbs has done in his career is far more impressive than what Belichek has accomplished. Of course on a Redskins board a lot of people will probably agree with me, but what do you guys think? What is more impressive - Belichek's three Super Bowls with Brady or Gibbs winning three Super Bowls with three different quarterbacks.

Great season Redskins. :logo:

Sorry bud, but Belichick is head and shoulders above any other head coach in the game today and possibly ever.

I would have to agree. He had to overcome more than Gibbs with the injuries(almost every defensive player was out in 2004 season for atleast a couple games), the free agency system, and the salary cap

Belichick didn't lose this game today. His offense was running on all cylinders, and the D was strong. His players failed him today. 3 fumbles (2 on special teams) and a bad decision by brady took a ton of potential points away from the pats and gave a ton of points to denver. The refs also spotted denver 7 on a phantom PI call that should have gone the other way.

I'd put our loss today more on the coaches, and the pats loss more on the players. Our first half playcalling was atrocious.

Sorry bud, but Belichick is head and shoulders above any other head coach in the game today and possibly ever.

I think NOT

If you give the coaches I'm about to name the same talent The Pats have I bet they could've done the same thing if not morre.

Don Shula

Jimmah Johnson

Vince Lombardi

Joe Jackson Gibbs

Bill Walsh

Don't get me wrong the guy is a good coach but he has a LOT to work with.

Belicheck is an amazing student of the game and a fantastic guy. The Pats loss tonight can be pinned directly on the shoulders of those who turned the ball over for the pats.

Gibbs, in his own right, is a fantastic coach as well. He is able to find talent in coaches and players, and get the most out of them, regardless of what some may feel right now.

You look at what all the greats did, and the common thing is their QB. Gibbs being able to do that with 3 different guys is a feat that other head coaches might never acheive.

Both guys are amazing in their own right, thats why I really really wanted them to square off in the SB.

Wrong.

Belichick was a loser with Bledsoe and Testeverde as QB.

He took over a Cleveland team that went to the playoffs 4 of the 5 seasons before he became coach. He was so bad in Cleveland that not only did they fire him, but they moved the team to Baltimore and changed the name to Ravens.

Belichick will not win without Brady. He has never won a playoff game without him, prove me wrong.

Even with the Pats' loss today, it is unlikely that the league-wide perception of Bill Belichek will change. He is often called the best coach in the NFL, and I think because of his success the past few years, he deserves the praise he receives. However, I do not think he is the best coach in the league. I think the majority of his success, although he is a great coach, can be attributed to Tom Brady.

Personally I feel that what Joe Gibbs has done in his career is far more impressive than what Belichek has accomplished. Of course on a Redskins board a lot of people will probably agree with me, but what do you guys think? What is more impressive - Belichek's three Super Bowls with Brady or Gibbs winning three Super Bowls with three different quarterbacks.

Great season Redskins. :logo:

Bill Belicheck has played a MAJOR role on 5 Superbowl winners. 3 in New England as head coach, 2 here in NY with the Giants as a Coordinator. Judged by the fact that Parcells has coached 6 years in the league without Belicheck on his staff, and has not won a single playoff game, made the playoffs just twice in those 6 years and was a first round ouster (1 of those losses coming at the hands of Belicheck) And its fairly simple to see how much of a role BB played on the 86 and 90 Giants

He is the best coach in the NFL.

Don't get me wrong, I think Belichek is a spectacular coach. The main point I was bringing up though is that I think the fact that Gibbs won three rings with three different quarterbacks is one of the most impressive feats in NFL history.

no it isnt junior.

Good for him though. He alwys had a good O-Line and good RB. Plus real good WR...couple that with doing it in strike seasons.

Its your board, he is YOUR coach, so I dont blame anyone one here for thinking he is the best ever, but he really isnt.

no it isnt junior.

Good for him though. He alwys had a good O-Line and good RB. Plus real good WR...couple that with doing it in strike seasons.

Its your board, he is YOUR coach, so I dont blame anyone one here for thinking he is the best ever, but he really isnt.

Like I said, "I think." That implies that it is my opinion. Also, you probably shouldn't call people that are older than you junior.

Secondly, those blaming him for failures in Cleveland are ridiculous

He was put in an impossible spot with Modell flirting with moving the team.

He did make the playoffs once, and won a playoff game, which is pretty much all i expect from gibbs in his 2nd tenure with that qb situation and the cap

Bill Belicheck has played a MAJOR role on 5 Superbowl winners. 3 in New England as head coach, 2 here in NY with the Giants as a Coordinator. Judged by the fact that Parcells has coached 6 years in the league without Belicheck on his staff, and has not won a single playoff game, made the playoffs just twice in those 6 years and was a first round ouster (1 of those losses coming at the hands of Belicheck) And its fairly simple to see how much of a role BB played on the 86 and 90 Giants

He is the best coach in the NFL.

Yes he sure did. So did his coordinators that he had in his 3 SB wins in NE.

I wont bash him for this, all coaches need good assistants.

Do note however, that alot of the key players in the Pats SB wins were drafted by Parcells, like Bruschi and McGinnest to name a few.

Belichick will not win without Brady. He has never won a playoff game without him, prove me wrong.

Okay:

Jan 1, 1995: Belchick's Cleveland Browns 20, Parcells' New England Patriots 13

Have a nice day. :laugh:

Gibbs and Belichick are both among the all-time greats. They have won with very different styles: Belichick with a Hall of Fame bound franchise QB, and Gibbs with three QBs who faded from the spotlight almost immediately after their SB appearances.

One thing they share is the ability to attract top coaching talent and craft true teams, while many other coaches end up with loosely unified individuals.

Both have found success in times of great turmoil, with Gibbs reaching some (not all) of his Super Bowls by quickly unifying piecemeal teams in strike seasons and Belichick patching together makeshift defensive units when his starters were ravaged by injury.

Both have fielded balanced, gutsy, team-oriented squads that won Super Bowls by pounding the ball all game long, rather than by trickery or flashy showmanship. Both men have enjoyed the benefits of committed ownership, and both have managed to leverage their coaching acumen to regularly squeak out wins against teams with greater individual talent at key positions.

The bottom line is this: there currently is absolutely no way to judge who is or has been the better coach. And there will be no way to judge that until both men have hung up their clipboards and called it a career.

Until then, it's a waste of time.

Yes he sure did. So did his coordinators that he had in his 3 SB wins in NE.

I wont bash him for this, all coaches need good assistants.

Do note however, that alot of the key players in the Pats SB wins were drafted by Parcells, like Bruschi and McGinnest to name a few.

Parcells never drafted anyone. Its a big reason why he left NE, he wanted control over personnel and didn't get it, hence the famous "shop for the groceries" line

In 1993 Parcells reportedly wanted to draft Rick Mirer over Drew Bledsoe

As for Belichecks assistants, he did win a playoff game this year without Weis and Crennel, which is something that Parcells has never done without Belicheck

To do what hes done, as both an assistant and head coach, makes him the best coach in todays age and one of the 2 or 3 best of all time. Thats 5 superbowl victories in total. 6 superbowl appearances. He is 11-2 in the playoffs as a head coach.

Before winning 3 Superbowls as a head man, he was widely regarded as perhaps the best Defensive Coordinator of all time.

the main point is this Gibbs took almost entirely different teams to 4 Superbowls, and won with 3 different qb's. Only 5 players played in everyone one, then after 12 years away, he has turned around a franchise that's been mainly below avg. since he retired, and in two years had them in the 2nd round of the playoffs.

Anyone can have continued success if you have all the right players together especially qb for severals years, no other coach has won another Superbowl with a different qb, only Parcells, Vermil, and Reeves reached another SB with a different team. Vermil lost his first, won his second.

Archived