Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Maryland Basketball

SlobberKnockinFootball

Can someone explain something to me that my buddy and I were talking about last night. The Terps won the National Championship what? 4 years ago? How in the hell did they get the worst recruitment class since Gary Williams has been coach after being in that spotlight? How does Duke pull out like 4 All-Americans every year and we get the Player of the Year from Maine? Come on!! It just doesn't make any sense why Maryland's recruiting is piss poor. Any thoughts?

You can't really compare anyone's recruiting class with Duke's. I mean, they are going to get 3-4 All Americans every single year as long as Coach K is there so I wouldn't worry about that. The fact is every coach outside of Durham is going to have bad years recruiting and all teams will have years that don't live up to the expectations. I mean look at UNC while Matt Doherty was there. They finished 8-20 one year but he still recruited Raymond Felton, Sean May and Rashad McCants. So I wouldn't give up on Gary Williams yet. He's a good coach and I think Maryland will still finish better this year than they are doing right now. Give them time, they are young.

And I'm an NC State fan by the way.

Look, I'm a Terp grad, and a fan. But I think Gary missed the boat on target players.

He's looking for the 3-4 year player, when everybody else is getting the 1-2 year all-american.

I don't care how hard he tries, he's not going to find another Juan, Steve, Lonnie and Byron.

He should be looking for the next Francis and Wilcox.

Duke is going to be good every year, until they get to the tourney and loose because shooting 25 3-pointers won't work when you play 2 games a weekend for a month.

Yeah, Gary doesn't like the superstars who only want to go to school for the minimum, then jump to the NBA. Look at the problems he had with Gilchrist last year. Coach K used to be the same way, but sold his soul to the dark side a few years ago, and now rakes in All-Americans without even trying. But he's also able to bring in the talented character guys like Williams and Redick who do want to stick around for their whole careers. Gary tries to get guys like that, but he's missed out the last few years. He's had some top prospects the last few years who've been major busts too, like Garrison and Jones. He's got about 8 scholarships freeing up in the next two years, so I expect him to get this turned around. We got a Steve Blake type PG coming in next year, and he needs to go after some big bodies too. No more big men who want to play on the perimeter, get players who are a force on the blocks. And no more uncoordinated 7 foot white guys.

GO BLUEDEVILS!!!!! :D

And before you flame me, i like duke basketball because a guy i went

to highschool with, attended duke and played with Grant Hill, his name was Crawford Palmer, out of arlington va, washington and lee hs. So ever since he went there, i have liked duke, Coach K is another reason i like them.

Hill was in our league back then, us and south lakes always played for the division title, and grant hill beat us at the buzzer every year, damn him :laugh:

Boosters have always complained about Gary's recruiting. He purposely recruits the 'non' Blue-Chip player with hopes that they fit into his system and improve each year. Obviously, that hasn't happened with this set of players, b/c none of them has any skills to be proud of. Even when he gets a McDonalds All American, they stnk (see Danny Miller, Mike Jones, Travis Garrison). He may have to sell his soul every once in a while to get that 1-2 yr player in order to be competitive now that the ACC has grown.

I have never seen a Maryland basketball team play as sloppy as it has during the 1st half of this season. It's almost sickening to watch.

Side note: Gary has gone after some big names, and possibly short stays, before... see Rudy Gay, who punked his home state and ended up at UCONN.

GO BLUEDEVILS!!!!! :D

And before you flame me, i like duke basketball because a guy i went

to highschool with, attended duke and played with Grant Hill, his name was Crawford Palmer, out of arlington va, washington and lee hs. So ever since he went there, i have liked duke, Coach K is another reason i like them.

Hill was in our league back then, us and south lakes always played for the division title, and grant hill beat us at the buzzer every year, damn him :laugh:

I love how Blue Devils fans automatically know that they have to defend thier fandom.

I played in a summer league with Joe Beard who played for Duke. I still hate the Devils. My dumbass brother is a bandwagoner, he says he's liked them since he went to golf camp there. GOLF CAMP!

Then I talk **** when my lowly Mountaineers go further in the tourney.

I love how Blue Devils fans automatically know that they have to defend thier fandom.

I played in a summer league with Joe Beard who played for Duke. I still hate the Devils. My dumbass brother is a bandwagoner, he says he's liked them since he went to golf camp there. GOLF CAMP!

Then I talk **** when my lowly Mountaineers go further in the tourney.

Not defending anything, just stating why im a duke fan

Look, I'm a Terp grad, and a fan. But I think Gary missed the boat on target players.

He's looking for the 3-4 year player, when everybody else is getting the 1-2 year all-american.

I don't care how hard he tries, he's not going to find another Juan, Steve, Lonnie and Byron.

He should be looking for the next Francis and Wilcox.

Duke is going to be good every year, until they get to the tourney and loose because shooting 25 3-pointers won't work when you play 2 games a weekend for a month.

He has in the past and will continue to find the gems.

the point position has been dry snice the national championship.

-Grant

Steve Blake's senior year says hi...

BTW, our problems now stem from not having a true PG, a reliable shooter, a decent big man and a team leader...like someone said, we have a lot of role players...last year, we had the true PG and that's about it and look where we ended up...we need someone to come really step into the leader role and I think some of our role players will start filling the molds above (Parrish Brown at point, Jones or McCray as the shooter, possibly Bowers at the 5)...as it stands, we have no true 5 on the roster...Garrison wants to stand out and shoot threes, Gist and Ibekwe just don't have the build tho they play hard (Ibekwe, quit shooting jumpers, they look silly!) and Bowers seems timid out there...

Archived