Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is the Skins defence overrated?

laura

I have been reading people on this board go on and on about a lack of respect from the media, especially since no one is picking the Skins to beat Seattle. However could the media actually be right in not giving the Skins a fighting chance against the Seahawks? Think about it. Tampa, a relative weak offensive team, with a rookie starting at QB and running back (no play off experience) did move the ball against this so called, "great defense," and almost tie the game. Why would Seatlle not handle the skins D?

In addition the skins got some breaks in this game. The fumble by arrington was actually recovered by Tampa and the ball could have been rewarded to them. The catch in the endzone being ruled an incompletion, etc. Maybe without these break the skins don't win.

This is also a rematch. Seattle will be motivated to avenge their loss to the SKins. They also want to prove that they can win in the playoffs. Do all those factors work against the Skins winning this game.

I hate asking questions such as these. I am starting to become a die-hard skins fan. But due to my lack of experince in football, I think of the questions, such as the ones that I just raised. I hope these questions don't offend anyone. These questions probably seem somewhat naive to many of you who are better versed in football than me.

the defense was the reason we actually won the game. Its against conventional wisdom to believe that you produce 120 yards of total offense in the playoffs and actually win. If our defense was over-rated then we would have at least one player going to the probowl. We are a hard-nosed, gritty, and opportunistic defense, where every player has stepped up when their number has been called.

To suggest that we had calls go for us , i.e. (the Lavar fumble) is a moot point because we've had more calls go against us through out the course of the season that decided games (think back to the Alstott 2pt conversion in week 10). The reality is that we have been depleated by injury and we still find a way to win games. This is a true sign that we have earned our way to where we are now. We didn't get in through the back door, or the side door, we have basically blown the front door down with 6 straight wins. And it should be 7 straight if the offense can play up to its capabilities.

Honestly, I don't believe so. If you look at the teams we've played this year, we have played most of the top offenses in the league. Sure, there are times that our defense has been out of sync, but throughout the year we have continued to gel and the big plays are becoming more and more rare. In regards to Tampa moving the ball against us... We had a 14 point lead. Our defense was stopping them on every possession (3 points in the first half). They did not start moving the ball until the went with a more west coast style offense. While Williams does not play prevent defense, he will allow underneath passes like that especially with a nice lead. Having Washington, Arrington, Holdman, Clark, and Taylor cracking guys after 3 yard catches can result in fumbles and interceptions. Not to mention short passes = low trajectory = tipped passes = interceptions. I think that is exactly what we saw. And don't forget Taylor being ejected. Teams have really been attacking us when he is not in. Considering he's only in his second year, teams are giving him a ton of respect. The media are idiots. Isn't anyone else getting tired of hearing how while we beat the Bears and Seahawks already, they are both "different teams" now? I guess that had nothing to do with them facing our defense. Everyone that loses to the Redskins is said to have had an "off" game. Here's to hoping for another "off" game by the Seahawks. :2cents:

I hate asking questions such as these. I am starting to become a die-hard skins fan. But due to my lack of experince in football, I think of the questions, such as the ones that I just raised. I hope these questions don't offend anyone. These questions probably seem somewhat naive to many of you who are better versed in football than me.

You sure you aren't an undercover Bears fan trying to get a leg up before the championship game? :laugh:

Hey Laura,

I'm a recent Seahawk fan, learning...

I think the Redskins are on a roll aren't they? So I wouldn't pay attention to all of the negative comments, real or imagined.

The so-called experts make their pedictions, according to past stats, but really, that doesn't mean anything, does it?

Since it's basically a new season, the playoffs. A new mind-set for the players that make it here?

Not like I know anything, but, I think the game will go to the team who really wants it.

:cheers:

Laura,

Stick to needlework, or at least better trolling dear, as we both know that's what you're doing here.

The Bucs moved the ball on the Skins? They had 243 yards of offense on 66 total plays for a 3.7 yards per play average. That would make the Redskins the best defense in the history of the world if they did that every game, yet, to you that measures out as relatively good offensive success by the Bucs against the team you're just coming on to enjoy?

If you know enough to know what moving the ball is you know enough to know 243 yards isn't moving the ball when you have the ball for 34 minutes plus.

Even a novice knows almost scoring to tie the game isn't actually a NEGATIVE against a defense when the opposition was given the ball in scoring position and, well, and because they didn't score to tie the game. It wasn't a break that the Buc receiver dropped the pass. It wasn't ruled an incompletion. By rule it was an incompletion.

That's not a break. Those are the rules of the game.

By all accounts on our side, we kind of put the offense away, turned the volume down. Had circumstance required something different, perhaps we'd have tried something different and seen it more successful. The Bucs, of course, got breaks the Hawks can't count on as well. Wide open Moss on two plays behind everyone only to be missed by Portis and Brunell. A stung Portis, limited in his carries.

The loss of a rock at defensive end like Wynn, yet, not missing a beat. Coming up with every critical stop on defense. The Seahawks can't rely upon the No. 11 offensive in football to put up historically bad numbers in consecutive games.

There's no revenge factor in this game. There's no revenge factor in any 3-point loss for the most part but, especially not in a game the Seahawks believe they had a chance to win and lost it on a long missed field goal. Revenge comes when the opposition does something to you that sticks with you, not when YOU do something you feel caused a loss.

No one is crazy for thinking the Seahawks will win. The Seahawks SHOULD win. They are rested and at home. These are huge benefits to them. Teams with these benefits win like 80 plus percent of the time. There's no excuse for them to lose.

So, no one should be all that surprised if they don't.

We'd just be surprised if you keep sneaking through troll posts and playing sassy :).

Give the Girl a break ART. Play nice.

If you look at the way the Eagles were able to drive the ball against us with thier passing game you could say that our defense was over rated, but that's just one game.

It's our offense that needs to step up if anything. Also, the fact that we have played 3 inexperienced QB's in a row make it even more important that our offense be able to sustain long drives and score. Our Defense needs as much rest as possible during this game because of the short week we have had.

I have been reading people on this board go on and on about a lack of respect from the media, especially since no one is picking the Skins to beat Seattle. However could the media actually be right in not giving the Skins a fighting chance against the Seahawks? Think about it. Tampa, a relative weak offensive team, with a rookie starting at QB and running back (no play off experience) did move the ball against this so called, "great defense," and almost tie the game. Why would Seatlle not handle the skins D?

In addition the skins got some breaks in this game. The fumble by arrington was actually recovered by Tampa and the ball could have been rewarded to them. The catch in the endzone being ruled an incompletion, etc. Maybe without these break the skins don't win.

This is also a rematch. Seattle will be motivated to avenge their loss to the SKins. They also want to prove that they can win in the playoffs. Do all those factors work against the Skins winning this game.

An overrated defense would have more than just one Pro Bowler over the last two years.

Depends what overrated is refering to.

I think we have somewhere between the 3-5 best defense in the playoffs.

I mean we are talking

bears, panthers, bucs, colts, steelers... I don't think we are as good as the bears or bucs, because we lack a pass rush from our front 4.

Because of the lack of pass rush from the front 4... it looks sometimes like we have some glaring holes in our defense. It makes our secondary suspect deep, over the middle, and when that happens we have been suspect for a long run. But again if we get some good pressure it protects against that.

The one thing i've noticed is if we are not effective with our blitz... that is when our defense is on its heels. It seems like teams are leaving more people to protect against the blitz now. If I recall right for most the 2nd half against tampa... it seemed we were not getting to simms, because they were in something like max protect. But this could also be from our defense being on the field for more plays than the offense recently.

I think we have one of the best linebacking corps in the game. I think maybe tampa & pitt may be the only ones better.

With a healthy springs he pretty much shuts down the left side of the field.

The line is good at shutting down the run, but again the pass rush is for the most part is not their with the line. Though the last 3 games daniels has caught the "spirit of manley". Hopefully it continues.

What this team could be like with a rice, peppers type defensive end would be scary. I think it would fix most the problems we have on defense..

Overall, its a above average defense.... but i wouldn't consider it one of the best of all time.

I don't think we are as good as the bears or bucs, because we lack a pass rush from our front 4.

You, my friend, have not paid any attention to the Washington Redskins during the last six games. Phillip Daniels, Cornelius Griffin and Joe Salave'a are as big a reason why this team is winning as anyone. The d-line tipped five Chris Simms passes - two were intercepted. I don't even need to mention that no one can run on Griffin (Tampa averaged 3 yards per carry), or that Daniels has turned into a sackmaster (7 sacks in last 4 games). Without the defensive line, this team would be focused on next year already.

Care to try again?

Washington's defense was ranked 10th in the NFL giving up 4.86 yards per play. Last season the Redskins ranked 2nd giving up 4.4 yards per play.

I would say that the two year performance would indicate that Washington's defense is not overated.

This might be a lot like Indy every year against the Pats. Every year Indy has come in with a top offense, and the Pats a top 10(but never the top) defense. The Pats always seem to win, because they stop one aspect of Indy..which then leads to two.

The Skins gave the Bucs the pass, and they inturn gave up two ints. The Skins defense will have to dictate the game, but the Hawks numbers are pumped based on weak schedule. Even in their 42-0 slaughter of the Eagles... the Hawks only amassed 194 total yards...Eagles/Seahawks

Against the Cowboys...289 yards Cowboys/Seahawks

Giants... 355 yards counting overtime Giants/Seahawks

And the Skins... 354 yards... Skins/Seahawks

Are they good? Yeah, but not great. They're beatable if the Skins play a solid game. The Seahawks are rested, but part of me wonders if they're too rested, and will come out a bit rusty to start the game. Never know. A few hard hits will make any team sketchy. Skins D must set the tone early...

You, my friend, have not paid any attention to the Washington Redskins during the last six games. Phillip Daniels, Cornelius Griffin and Joe Salave'a are as big a reason why this team is winning as anyone. The d-line tipped five Chris Simms passes - two were intercepted. I don't even need to mention that no one can run on Griffin (Tampa averaged 3 yards per carry), or that Daniels has turned into a sackmaster (7 sacks in last 4 games). Without the defensive line, this team would be focused on next year already.

Care to try again?

Care to read the whole post next time...

Laura :bearsuck: My guess is that your Praying :wish: that the Redskins D is Overated. :bearsuck: Because your going to be rooting for the Seahags this week. :bearsuck: You do NOT want your Bears :bearsuck: playing the Redskins and the Redskins Top Notch Defense. HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!

The only Power Player in the NFC that the skins haven't walk the Dog on is the Panthers. So I say Bring em on! :cheers: :bearsuck:

Care to try again?

prophet- i think the skins D may be better than what you think.

over the past 6 weeks, they have allowed less rush yds per game (81.6) and points (12) than any other team. (and i'm not even including chicagos 34 points and 149 rush yards given up vs minn.)

this D is on fire.

Archived