Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Super Bowl XVIII, Media Hype, a tragic tale, Gibbs Joy

bubba9497

Many Skin fans right now are all upset because every sports outlet is predicting a Seahawk romp...or all you see is Alexander whining about no respect, bragging about his accomplishments this season..etc..

And in the bowls of Redskin Park.. a one Joe Gibbs is grinning like a man who hit the lottery.

Why? let me take you back a bit.... (flashback waves)

1983, The Washington Redskins were one of the greatest Juggernauts of all times. They went 14-2 (two losses by 2 points!!) broke several NFL records, some still stand..... yet today they are never mentioned as one of the all time great teams... why? because they got a pounding in the Super Bowl.. they couldn't seal the deal.

That season before the Super Bowl, all you read, or heard was about the Redskins, We had beat the Raiders in a thriller in LA earlier that season, no one was giving the Raiders a chance. Joey T was on every talk show, the team played up to the hype, wearing fatigues to the stadium. It was a Skins fan media fantasy.

But what happened next, was the Skins so full of themselves, so worried about getting attention in the media... showed up flat, that TD run by Marcus Allen was one of the biggest embarrassment in the teams history. While the Skins were living it up with the press... the Raiders were staying under the radar plotting their trap.

Gibbs learned his lesson..... Has anyone seen any Redskin say anything about no respect, or talk about what they have accomplished so far? All you hear is how good the Seahawks are, and how tough it will be to beat them. Gibbs knows attention is for the rubes... all that matters is winning. And if the Seahawks fall into that trap.... that just gives the Skins an added advantage.

While the Hawks are planning to host the Bears or Panthers... the Skins are planning on kicking their ass.

Some think Gibbs is crazy.... crazy like a fox :D

Let them have the "respect" will take the win

Bubba - You've hit the theme of this season on the head. This team seems to flourish when least expected and are definitely effective at proving naysayers wrong. Gibbs is a master at what he does...and part of it is the mental preparation for the opponent. I like that the media (mostly) aren't giving us a chance. This just re-emphasizes the theme.

"All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must seem inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near. Hold out baits to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and crush him."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Seattle is GREAT............REALLY............Really

GO SKINS

Great Post!! I wrote something similar in response to a Seattle colunmist today. He was going on about how Gibbs is already making excuses about injuries and how great the Seahawks are -- already prepping everyone for a Redskin loss. And how Gibbs shouldn't bother "burning the midnight oil" at Redskins Park because he is gonna be sent home with a loss anyway. This was my response....

What coach Gibbs is currently doing is called being classy, sir. It is a trait which was common in the league during his first stint, but has unfortunately become a rarity in today's NFL. It involves downplaying your own team's success/opportuntiy to win its next game.....while praising the team you are about to play.

I am sorry you are unable to recognize this, which is obviously quite telling in regards to your own perspective of sportsmanship. I assure you that coach Gibbs is - indeed - spending long nights at Redskins Park. I would not be surprised if he is not going home at all. He is that committed to the success of this franchise. Don't make the mistake of taking his public comments at face value. Behind closed doors, this is a confident, battle-tested team and I guarantee you they will be well-prepared this Saturday afternoon. Coach Gibbs has made a career out of people like you underestimating him. I genuinely appreciate your efforts in continuing this.

Bring it back to DC Coach !! :point2sky

I'm so glad you posted that.. I've been thinking of that game a lot lately and how the roles are reversed. Talked to my father-in-law about it today (he was so set that we had no chance).. so I ticked off that crazy season...

How Dallas was our first loss.. and had we gone undefeated into the game in Philly.. we would have won. But since nothing was on the line.. it meant nothing.

And how.. the team was so ****y.. so sure of themselves and Gibbs let up on curfew the night before teh game, that a few key players (Theismann being one) had a little too much fun the night before, didn't get enough rest.. and royally screwed up what could otherwise have been one of the most dominating season of any NFL team.

So I said to my father-in-law... does THAT Redskins team remind you of anyone right now? He looked at me and said... yeah... Seattle.

I nodded my head and said case closed. We may not win. But we are not going in unprepared.

SB18 was probably one of the most disappointing games I've ever seen. The Redskins were throttling teams all year only losing 31-30 at home and 48-47 in Green Bay in one of those games where neither team would stop scoring.

They averaged 34 points a game and gave up 20 but still they lost the SB to the Raiders. I was pissed about that game because they almost lost to the Raiders at home during the seasons so they had to know the Raiders were a very good team.

We had the #1 offense and the #11 in points but the Raiders had the 3rd and 13th so they weren't that far behind except for us scoring about 100 points more than anybody else that year.

The team that reminded me the most of that team was the Vikings in 98. They did even better than the Redskins in 83 by going 15-1 and scoring more and giving up fewer points and they didn't even make it to the SB.

If you look at Seattle this year they are first in points and 7th in points allowed. They fit the profile but it also means that they might win this week and lose either the NFCCG or the SB.

Heres how the #1 offensive teams have faired recently.

2004 Colts Lost in Divisional Round

2003 Chiefs Lost in Divisional Round

2002 Chiefs Finished 8-8 and missed playoffs

2001 Rams Lost SB

2000 Rams Lost Wildcard game

1999 Rams Won SB but also had #4 defense and played a weak schedule (most similar to Seahawks this year but the Rams were better and the afc competition was weaker in 1999)

1998 Vikings Lost NFCCG even though they had the highest scoring offense in NFL history and the #6 defense that year. Pathetic.

Good response. I guess he does not remember when JG was wondering how we were ever going to beat the Bears in Chicago when they had that great defense. All we did is go into Chicago and Win or how a flawed Redskins team(much more then this) went into the 87 playoffs and beat Chicago and Minnestota to go to SB 22 and then beat the favored Broncos by 32 points. I guess he is forgetting stuff like that!! I hope they are ****y and think that all they have to do is show up!!!!

Yeah man, that 87 team didn't even have a RB. It would be like us starting Broughton. Springs being banged up like he is, Ramsey starting the whole year and getting benched for Brunell in the playoffs and several OL and DL starters playing with bad injuries but still winning the SB anyway.

And Gibbs wasn't the coach of the year that year either.

Good read bubba.

I've always believed that as horrible as SB XIII was, it was also a big reason we dominated SB's XXII & XXVI the way we did. NOBODY, coaches or players, wanted to live through something like that again.

:seahawksu

Archived