Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hall of Fame finalists announced, and Art Monk is on the list!!!

CHUBAKAH

and Russ Grimm

To be elected, a finalist must receive a minimum positive vote of 80 percent.

Listed alphabetically, the 15 finalists with their positions, teams, and years follow:

Troy Aikman - Quarterback - 1989-2000 Dallas Cowboys

Harry Carson - Linebacker - 1976-1988 New York Giants

L.C. Greenwood - Defensive End - 1969-1981 Pittsburgh Steelers

Russ Grimm - Guard - 1981-1991 Washington Redskins

Claude Humphrey - Defensive End - 1968-1978 Atlanta Falcons, 1979-1981 Philadelphia Eagles (injured reserve - 1975)

Michael Irvin - Wide Receiver - 1988-1999 Dallas Cowboys

Bob Kuechenberg - Guard - 1970-1984 Miami Dolphins (injured reserve - 1984)

John Madden - Coach - 1969-1978 Oakland Raiders

Art Monk - Wide Receiver - 1980-1993 Washington Redskins, 1994 New York Jets, 1995 Philadelphia Eagles

Warren Moon - Quarterback - 1984-1993 Houston Oilers, 1994-1996 Minnesota Vikings, 1997-1998 Seattle Seahawks, 1999-2000 Kansas City Chiefs

Derrick Thomas - Linebacker - 1989-1999 Kansas City Chiefs

Thurman Thomas - Running Back - 1988-1999 Buffalo Bills, 2000 Miami Dolphins

Reggie White - Defensive End/Defensive Tackle - 1985-1992 Philadelphia Eagles, 1993-1998 Green Bay Packers, 2000 Carolina Panthers

Rayfield Wright - Tackle - 1967-1979 Dallas Cowboys

Gary Zimmerman - Tackle - 1986-1992 Minnesota Vikings, 1993-1997 Denver Broncos

http://www.profootballhof.com/enshrinement/release.jsp?release_id=1944

and Russ Grimm

To be elected, a finalist must receive a minimum positive vote of 80 percent.

Listed alphabetically, the 15 finalists with their positions, teams, and years follow:

Troy Aikman - Quarterback - 1989-2000 Dallas Cowboys

Harry Carson - Linebacker - 1976-1988 New York Giants

L.C. Greenwood - Defensive End - 1969-1981 Pittsburgh Steelers

Russ Grimm - Guard - 1981-1991 Washington Redskins

Claude Humphrey - Defensive End - 1968-1978 Atlanta Falcons, 1979-1981 Philadelphia Eagles (injured reserve - 1975)

Michael Irvin - Wide Receiver - 1988-1999 Dallas Cowboys

Bob Kuechenberg - Guard - 1970-1984 Miami Dolphins (injured reserve - 1984)

John Madden - Coach - 1969-1978 Oakland Raiders

Art Monk - Wide Receiver - 1980-1993 Washington Redskins, 1994 New York Jets, 1995 Philadelphia Eagles

Warren Moon - Quarterback - 1984-1993 Houston Oilers, 1994-1996 Minnesota Vikings, 1997-1998 Seattle Seahawks, 1999-2000 Kansas City Chiefs

Derrick Thomas - Linebacker - 1989-1999 Kansas City Chiefs

Thurman Thomas - Running Back - 1988-1999 Buffalo Bills, 2000 Miami Dolphins

Reggie White - Defensive End/Defensive Tackle - 1985-1992 Philadelphia Eagles, 1993-1998 Green Bay Packers, 2000 Carolina Panthers

Rayfield Wright - Tackle - 1967-1979 Dallas Cowboys

Gary Zimmerman - Tackle - 1986-1992 Minnesota Vikings, 1993-1997 Denver Broncos

http://www.profootballhof.com/enshrinement/release.jsp?release_id=1944

Thats an impressive list. Most of those guys should be in the Hall.

Reggie will make it.

and they'll probably put Troy boy in because the Media loves him.

I'm sure those sports writers are starting their hand exercises in preparation for their novels "Art Monk is the devil, and should not be in the Hall of Fame". :doh:

Is this the farthest Monk and Grimm have ever gotten?

I'm also surprised to see John Madden on the list. I thought he was already a Hall of Famer.

Right now I think Reggie White and Troy Aikman are shoe-ins and I'm afraid that because of Aikman, those HOF voters are going to put the President of the "White House" in at the same time.

If that happens, wouldn't it be great if at the HOF ceremony Redskins fans come out in force to cheer on Monk and then for the first time in HOF induction history you hear loud booing for Aikman and Mr. "White House" when they are introduced and go up to give their speeches.

You know, I think Aikman was a talented QB and a pretty good guy, but has anyone ever actually looked at his stats? They really arent that impressive. His season high for TD passes is 23, and that's the only time he broke 20. His career TDs add up to 165, with 141 interceptions in a total of 165 games. His numbers are actually amazingly similar to Joey T, who had 160 TDs and 138 interceptions in 167 games. Both had their careers ended prematurely due to injury, but both were having subpar years at the time of the injury.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/AikmTr00.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/TheiJo00.htm

It's a tough year...White, Aikman, Derrick Thomas, Madden (don't think he should make it as a coach, but I bet a lot of people will factor his career as an announcer into their votes.) Personally, I'd like to see both Monk and Carson, who has also been ignored far to long, make the HOF this year. And Grimm of course.

I believe only a max of 7 can go in with at least 1 being from the Senior committee. You know Troy and Reggie are locks, so with the one from Senior

committee, that leaves 4.

A 39-member panel will vote on the finalists. A candidate must get 80 percent of the vote to be elected with a minimum of three and a maximum of six getting in.

It seams as if they were already prepping people for reasons why someone will not make it on Total Access last night. They said that certain candidates will not make it although they me be qualified because there were others that excelled more at the same position. Right before discussing this they showed clips of Michael Irvin then Art Monks name was mentioned in a way as if they were wondering if he finally makes it.

I just get that gut feeling that they were hinting Irvin over Monk. :doh:

I love Art Monk, but he's not a HOFer.

He only led the league in one category (receptions) in one year (1984), only had three seasons in the top 10 in the league in yards (1984, 85, 89) and only one season in the top 10 in the league in TDs (1991). I know we all have different standards for what it means to be a HOFer, but I don't think longevity alone gets a player in. For me, the HOF should be limited to the players that dominated their position in their era. Art Monk was solid, sometimes very good, but he was never considered a "dominant" player for any significant span of time. Maybe my criteria is too lofty, but I think this explains why he has yet to be elected.

It's a tough year...White, Aikman, Derrick Thomas, Madden (don't think he should make it as a coach, but I bet a lot of people will factor his career as an announcer into their votes.) Personally, I'd like to see both Monk and Carson, who has also been ignored far to long, make the HOF this year. And Grimm of course.

I think Madden is deserving as a coach. He still has the highest winning percentage out of any coach with 100 or more victories (0.759). The only knock on Madden is that he didn't coach enough seasons. In his 10 seasons as a coach he never had a losing record, won 7 division titles and 8 playoff appearances. He won 1 Super Bowl. But I agree with you that his career as an announcer will definitely factor into it.

Thurman Thomas is a HOF no doubt he was the man.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Yes I remember he forgot his Helmet at the beginning of Super Bowl XXVI, then he Lost his Arse during it. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

But he was a good player but HOF ??? but a Good Player. We will see.

:bsflag:

White, Aikman, Madden are Locks the rest not sure, this whole Hall of Fame deal is a SHAME just like the PRO BOWL.

How the Hell does Sean Taylor and Marcus Washington NOT make the Pro Bowl? How the Hell does Art Monk, Russ Grimm, and Joe Jacoby Not make the HOF? Both of these deals are just STUPID

:bsflag:

I love Art Monk, but he's not a HOFer.

He only led the league in one category (receptions) in one year (1984), only had three seasons in the top 10 in the league in yards (1984, 85, 89) and only one season in the top 10 in the league in TDs (1991). I know we all have different standards for what it means to be a HOFer, but I don't think longevity alone gets a player in. For me, the HOF should be limited to the players that dominated their position in their era. Art Monk was solid, sometimes very good, but he was never considered a "dominant" player for any significant span of time. Maybe my criteria is too lofty, but I think this explains why he has yet to be elected.

See, this is the problem exactly. Who cares what somebody was "considered"? What people think about your accomplishments should not be the criteria. The criteria should be what did you accomplish over the course of your career. And over the course of Art Monk's career, he won no fewer than three Super Bowl rings, and he is in the top 10 all time in both receptions (5), and yards (9), and most of the poeple who passed him in those categories did so after he retired, when the League became more pass orientated.

This is the same crap the sports media pulls in baseball. They underrate a player his entire career, then when Hall of Fame time comes around they reject the guy because he wasn't "considered dominant" enough. Considered dominant by who? Why, the sports media, of course!

What did opposing coaches think about him?

"Monk is headed to Canton downhill on roller skates" - Bill Pacells, 1995

http://www.thehogs.net/History/ArtMonk/index.html

Now, who are you going to believe? Peter King, or Bill Parcells?

Archived