Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DT Ellis Johnson cut by the Colts

Buddha

Guest Trevor

I think he would definetly be worth a look. He's a solid player. Spurrier should know about him considering I believe he was a Gator.

I hope the Eagles don't get him.

He certainly fits the mold we have been looking at all offseason. Traditionally undersized, and more a single gap player than a wide body. At some point I'd like to start settling in on what we have, but, remember, we already have numbers problems on the defensive line.

We are keeping the following players.

Smith

Wynn

Wilkinson

Gardener

Cowsette

Powell

Jackson

Scott

Now, this list leaves Arp out. That's fine. Would picking up Johnson here make us cut someone on this list, or not? He's certainly got more credentials as a player than Powell, Jackson, Scott or Cowsette. At this point we need to start factoring in who we are cutting when we make moves since we are getting tight on roster space.

Also, let's not forget the team really likes Leverette and he should be ready for the regular season opener. Is he a cut after missing camp or do we keep him active a few weeks to see if he is a player? I do like the thought of adding Johnson because of his proven nature, but, that almost certainly means cutting Cowsette or keeping an extra body on the defensive line.

Originally posted by Trevor

I think he would definetly be worth a look. He's a solid player. Spurrier should know about him considering I believe he was a Gator.

I hope the Eagles don't get him.

What would Spurrier know about him. He plays defense.:silly:

Guest Trevor

I would think keeping an extra player for the defensive line wouldn't be a bad thing considering we don't know how much Gardener is going to end up contributing.

I like Ellis Johnson, Dungy had an obscene number of DTs in camp, so this is not necessarily a reflection on Johnson, and most likely Dungy did it early so Johnson could latch on with another team. If wew can get him at the minimum, he would be a very nice addition, far better than Dotson was, thats for sure.

The Redskins are going to have competition for Johnson. The Vikings and Cardinals are still in the market for help on the DL as are the Texans.

I agree that the Skins should look into adding Johnson. He is a player that is full motor and has a good work ethic from what I have gleaned.

Remember our line rotation in 1991 featured one anchor in Charles Mann and rotated othe players on the DL based on down and distance: Eric Williams, Jumpy Geathers, Tim Johnson, Fred Stokes, Jason Buck, etc.......................:)

I read that Johnson asked to be released because he didn't want to be part of a rotation, demanded to start or be released (so unlikely he'd want to be a skin), but it does sound fishy? I'd have no problem with going after him, but I think if we are looking for security, we ought to pad our O-line which I think is a lot more shaky, especially if we lose any of our studs there. Think the D will be fine regardless?

Archived