Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Seahawks 5th in NFL in run defense, but stats can be deceiving.

GSF

I've been looking over some stats, and reading posts here on ES, wondering how our ball control offense will do against the Hawks. I believe the only chance we have to win the game is to stuff Alexander early, and to grind out long drives on the ground, something we couldn't do against the Bucs. Looking at the stats, the Hawks actually rank 1 spot higher that the Bucs in rush defense, but I think that stat is very misleading. If you go look at Seattle's game stats from the year, the first thing that jumps out at you is how many bad teams they played. Not only did they play San Fran, Zona, and Stl twice, but they also played Houston, Tenn, and Green Bay. None of these teams can run the ball worth a damn, except for maybe Houston, and their defense is so bad that they don't get much chance to run it. The only teams that Seatle played that run the ball well were Washington, Atlanta, Indy, the Giants, and maybe Jax. Jax, Wash, and the Giants all put up some nice rushing numbers on them, and Indy played their back ups in a meaningless game for them.

Tampa, OTOH, played a lot of teams that run the ball well. They played Atl and Carolina twice, as well as playing Wash, Chi, and Buffalo. The Skins rush defense is ranked much lower at 13th, but they played great rushing teams almost every week(Denver, KC, Giants, Dallas, Chi, Tampa...). The Skins rush defense stats also are hurt from the games when Griffin was out.

The moral of the story here is that I think that Seattle's defense is not near as good as they are rated, and not in the class of the defenses of Washington or Tampa Bay. Seattle was able to jump ahead early against a lot of bad teams. I think we match up much better against the Hawks than we did against the Bucs.

Not to say that the Seahawks aren't good. They are, and they're also confident, well rested, and in their own house. But I think the Redskins defense could frustrate Seattle, who hasn't played a legit defense in many weeks, and I think Portis and the dirtbags can out-physical Seattle's defense. If these things happen, it could come down to a couple of plays at the end of the game, and those kind of games have been going very well for the Skins lately.

I completely agree. You can also look at it from the flip-side of people saying the Skins run d won't be able to stop Alexander because our run d isn't ranked that high.

Ladanian T, T Bell, L Johnson, P Holmes, Tiki twice, S Alex, Caddilac, J Jones twice. All on our schedule this year. Our run d held up pretty well if you weight it for who we played.

good post, i think the o-line has gotta be pissed off from yesterday not being able to run the ball or move the ball at all. they have to be ready to have a dominating if not very very good performance against the seattle front 7 in order to even have a chance to win, and i thinkthey will.

The Seahawks have a good team, no doubt about it. But I agree, we should be able to run the ball against them. Another factor in the 'hawks defensive statistics is the fact that they've jumped out to so many early leads. That forces teams to abandon the run and throw the ball. It is absolutely vital that we don't allow them to do that. And, if we get down by a couple touchdowns early, we still need to keep pounding the ball inside.

If our defense plays at or near the level that it did yesterday, I think we've got a very good chance to win. It's not going to be easy. You can only play the teams in front of you and Seatle got 13 wins. Nonetheless, I like our chances.

good post, i think the o-line has gotta be pissed off from yesterday not being able to run the ball or move the ball at all. they have to be ready to have a dominating if not very very good performance against the seattle front 7 in order to even have a chance to win, and i thinkthey will.

Not having Portis in certainly made a difference. Betts is a great back up but just doesnt have the skills that Portis has.

I've been saying all along that we would match up well with Seattle.

It also doesn't hurt that they haven't played anybody this year and won. The best team they beat, the Giants, took them to OT in Seattle. And the Giants play pretty bad on the road. They would have won too if they hadn't missed 3 kicks also.

I think the teams biggest goal will probably be to stop them from getting that early lead and run the ball wearing their defense out.

I think Seattle is going to be in for a rude awakening. Their schedule this year was very very weak.

Also consider the last tough opponent the Hawks played was the Giants back in week 12, and they barely beat them at home, when the Giants kicker missed 3 field goals, including a 40 yarder that would have won the game at the end of regulation. Look at Seattle's schedule since their bye back in week 8:

Arizona

Stl

San Fran

NYG

Philly

San Fran

Tenn

Indy(back ups)

Green Bay

These guys haven't had a tough game in half a season.

I've been looking over some stats, and reading posts here on ES, wondering how our ball control offense will do against the Hawks. I believe the only chance we have to win the game is to stuff Alexander early, and to grind out long drives on the ground, something we couldn't do against the Bucs. Looking at the stats, the Hawks actually rank 1 spot higher that the Bucs in rush defense, but I think that stat is very misleading. If you go look at Seattle's game stats from the year, the first thing that jumps out at you is how many bad teams they played. Not only did they play San Fran, Zona, and Stl twice, but they also played Houston, Tenn, and Green Bay. None of these teams can run the ball worth a damn, except for maybe Houston, and their defense is so bad that they don't get much chance to run it. The only teams that Seatle played that run the ball well were Washington, Atlanta, Indy, the Giants, and maybe Jax. Jax, Wash, and the Giants all put up some nice rushing numbers on them, and Indy played their back ups in a meaningless game for them.

Tampa, OTOH, played a lot of teams that run the ball well. They played Atl and Carolina twice, as well as playing Wash, Chi, and Buffalo. The Skins rush defense is ranked much lower at 13th, but they played great rushing teams almost every week(Denver, KC, Giants, Dallas, Chi, Tampa...). The Skins rush defense stats also are hurt from the games when Griffin was out.

The moral of the story here is that I think that Seattle's defense is not near as good as they are rated, and not in the class of the defenses of Washington or Tampa Bay. Seattle was able to jump ahead early against a lot of bad teams. I think we match up much better against the Hawks than we did against the Bucs.

Not to say that the Seahawks aren't good. They are, and they're also confident, well rested, and in their own house. But I think the Redskins defense could frustrate Seattle, who hasn't played a legit defense in many weeks, and I think Portis and the dirtbags can out-physical Seattle's defense. If these things happen, it could come down to a couple of plays at the end of the game, and those kind of games have been going very well for the Skins lately.

Finally a voice of reason!!!

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

The Seahawks don't like physical teams. They haven't played a meaningful game in a while, and I wonder if they can match our intensity.

A much more concise way of what I've been trying to say in this thread. :laugh: Thanks.

I agree completely. Really, the Seahawks haven't won a tough game in years. They are the ultimate fakes. I'm not saying they aren't good, but, they certainly aren't as good as their record would imply. We played twice as many tough games as they did, their D isn't that good and (thankfully) none of their recievers scare you as a deep threat. Obviously, if we stink it up on O this week like last week it's gonna be really difficult to win but I don't anticipate that happening.

Hell, if the Skins played the Rams, Cardinals, and 49ers twice a year, then our stats would be inflated also. That's 6 games. Then throw in Philly, Houston, and Green Bay. Please.... It's ridiculous. Out of those, which team actually has a RB that can rush for 50 yds in 16 games.

The Giants and Cowboys played then tough in Seattle. Didn't we blow away both teams in our house?

Stats don't always tell the story.

I've been saying all along that we would match up well with Seattle.

It also doesn't hurt that they haven't played anybody this year and won. The best team they beat, the Giants, took them to OT in Seattle. And the Giants play pretty bad on the road. They would have won too if they hadn't missed 3 kicks also.

I think the teams biggest goal will probably be to stop them from getting that early lead and run the ball wearing their defense out.

I think Seattle is going to be in for a rude awakening. Their schedule this year was very very weak.

I suppose if I say some of this enough times, it will eventually sink in, or at least get seen and read by people.

Luck is part of football. It just is. You were lucky to beat us, we were lucky to beat the Giants. But most of the time you create your own luck, and the bottom line is that you did what you needed to do to win, and we did what we needed to do to win. A big part of that Giants loss was 11 false start penalties, and that was due to the crowd. If they don't get backed up those times, at least one of their kicks happens closer and probably makes it. (Of course, that's not to mention the TDs that may have been improperly called.)

Against you, if we'd gotten a bit closer, that last doink off the goalpost might have at least doinked in for a score. But we didn't do it.

There's a reason they say "any given Sunday..." Which Redskins are the ones going to Seattle, the ones that beat the Giants or the ones that got shut out and their butts handed to them by the Giants?

Just so you know, we are fully aware of what the Redskins are capable of. There is no rude awakening to be had on this end, as we are already alert. But if you are allowing yourself to think that because we played some weaker teams that the Seahawks are not a good team, you just might have your own rude awakening in a few days.

The Skins rush d has been incredible all year and I bet would be #1 if we hadn't completely broken down on about ten plays for huge yards - a problem that seems to have been somewhat corrected in recent weeks.

Another factor is going to be the health and capability of Brunell. I think Gruden's plan was to double Moss, have a LB tail Cooley every play and then stack the line and make Brunell beat them. Their strategy worked to perfection and they would have beaten us easily but for an even better gameplan by GW and a dropped TD pass.

I think for us to win in Seattle, Brunell will need to have his knee feeling better - because very few teams can win when your offense is completely one dimensional.

Seattle can stop the run and has kept a low production from opposing running backs; you will have better luck going deep against us. However our pass rush has gotten better as of late. This coming game we will have all of our players back and ready for your push form your offensive front line, they are big and strong and they are a concern.

You will see Seattle pass the ball more then the run at the beginning of the game, then look for Shaun to turn it up in the second half.

Your right about one thing, Washington has had our number in the past, and I mean long past years. You won this match up in OT this season, were not the same team as then, and I’m sure you’re not as well. We have become a play off team, and what I think is vital, a play off crowd. The fans, or you can call them the 12th man, will really come to play and will not let up, even if we find our team down by three touchdowns, we believe. And it’s that conviction that fuels our players.

The players will win this game for the fans, silly you say? Yes, but oh so true. This is why you will read so much about the 12th man advantage as a reason for us to win. We understand at our end what this means, no one around he country truly understands this connection between the fans and the players, but you will when the final buzzer sounds, so to say.

All the Giants could talk about afterwards, were our fans. And gentlemen, 3 missed field goals, who made the choice to try the field goal in such cold weather at that distance in a hostile environment with a tremendous rush coming at you, in football nothing is a given, you must execute, and the Giants did not.

Here is having a great game with nobody getting hurt.

Black Hat

Seattle can stop the run and has kept a low production from opposing running backs; you will have better luck going deep against us. However our pass rush has gotten better as of late. This coming game we will have all of our players back and ready for your push form your offensive front line, they are big and strong and they are a concern.

You will see Seattle pass the ball more then the run at the beginning of the game, then look for Shaun to turn it up in the second half.

Your right about one thing, Washington has had our number in the past, and I mean long past years. You won this match up in OT this season, were not the same team as then, and I’ sure you’re not as well. We have become a play off team, and what I think is vital, a play off crowd. The fans, or you can call them the 12th man, will really come to play and will not let up, even if we find our team down by tree touchdowns, we believe. And it’s that conviction that fuels our players.

The players will win this game for the fans, silly you say? Yes, but oh so true. This is why you will read so much about the 12th man advantage as a reason for us to win. We understand at our end what this means, no one around he country truly understands this connection between the fans and the players, but you will when the final buzzer sounds, so to say.

All the Giants could talk about afterwards, were our fans. And gentlemen, 3 missed field goals, who made the choice to try the field goal in such cold weather at that distance in a hostile environment with a tremendous rush coming at you, in football nothing is a given, you must execute, and the Giants did not.

Black Hat

Good post and I agree that you should never underestimate the fans and home field advantage.

Your right about one thing, Washington has had our number in the past, and I mean long past years. You won this match up in OT this season, were not the same team as then, and I’m sure you’re not as well. We have become a play off team, and what I think is vital, a play off crowd. The fans, or you can call them the 12th man, will really come to play and will not let up, even if we find our team down by three touchdowns, we believe. And it’s that conviction that fuels our players.

Black Hat

Good post. I've noticed this year that Seattle has a great home field advantage. Great fans, wet weather, and a long trip for just about anyone coming. Seattle's 12th man is right up their with the Skin's 12th man in Fedex. Skins fans have been great this year b/c it's been so long since they've had a championship team. Seattle's fans have been great this year b/c they've never had a championship team, but think they might this year.

Interesting. GSF and Fred Jones are among the few who acknowledge Seattle's 12th man. Most of the Redskins fans here think there's no way Qwest can compare with Fedex in that regard. I think that's partly due to hometown pride, and partly due to the fact that Fedex seats over 90 thousand. Less than 70 thousand in Qwest. I think it's because of the design of the roof sections, I've heard something about the fans sitting closer to the field there than in other stadiums -- but whatever the reason, when the fans get cranked up in there, the results are astounding. The Redskins WILL be finding out about it firsthand. Whether they can be successful in spite of the noise, or if the noise will cause problems remains to be seen...

The Skins rush d has been incredible all year and I bet would be #1 if we hadn't completely broken down on about ten plays for huge yards - a problem that seems to have been somewhat corrected in recent weeks.

First, i would like to say great thread. Next, i have brought up the same points everyone has been saying about the stats coming from bad teams/early leads. But in regards to the quote at the top, the difference in the big plays of late has been saftey play, perticularly Sean Taylor. Not to make another on ST's nuts post, but when some RB's tore us up on big plays, it was the safteys out of position. But latley, against the giants eagles and bucs i noticed this, is when a RB has room, he might get nine yards, but our saftey is there to make the tackle. It seems they have learned from their early out of position mistakes, and hopefully wont forget this come satruday. Either way, if ST plays, im lookin for a friendly hello, a nice Sean to Shaun chat, with one of them on the ground. HAIL TO THE REDSKINS, HAIL VICTORY!!!

We will kick your sea chicken butts and send you home for the playoffs your chicken's are going to get cooked we don't even need our O on the field your schedule was cupcake sorry the truth is a bitter pill to swallow.
You know, you raise a very important point. How many verbs can a sentence contain?

In response to 92,000 fans at fed X vs. Seattle’s Qwest fields at 67,000, those are numbers yes. They fill the seats, but it is the quality of the fan that sits in the seats that make the difference. Now I don’t mean one is more of a citizen then the other, I’m talking about rabid fans.

We at Seattle have gone through some changes, from the Kingdome, Husky Stadium for two years and now at Qwest field for the last three years. We are now a younger and mostly male crowd. Back in the later Kingdome years, we were a much older crowd and still revered as the loudest crowd in the NFL. (Our hey days were the 80’s for noise) The Giants fans say in jest there average crowd age is 92 years old. Fans can get old, stadiums can grow tired – look at you guys, the longest waiting list in the NFL, and for years you have maintained that.

My point here Seattle has gone through a rebirth and the results have been astounding, we as fans have something to prove, the Seattle players play for the fans, I will put our 67,000 against any other NFL city, welcome and we mean that, we want you to come.

Black Hat

Archived