Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I reviewed our "O" vs. Bucs - not so bad

RumpofSteelSKIN

I went back and logged the tape of our drives. I feel better after watching the game again and realizing how smartly we played this game. The national naysayers that watchd the game are getting up in arms because of the number 120 that certainly jumps out at you. But, looking deeper into our offense, I noticed how we were able to manage the clock effectively, while also trying to effect a run game against their defense. We were not as bad as the 120 yards might indicate.

Here are my no-so-brief, but I hope helpful views on our offfense's performance against the Bucs:

First Qtr:

First drive - ran 10 plays, got 2 first downs, a near Portis-to-Moss TD, punted... (solid opening drive that easily could have been a TD)

Second drive - One play only (Portis TD run) for a 7-0 lead...(Quick Six)

Third drive - leading 14-0, Antonio Brown fumbles punt, with 2:00 left in quarter, we go 3 and out...(We smartly didn't force the issue after a negative special teams play)

Second Qtr:

First drive lasted 4-and-a-half minutes, features POrtis +7, Moss end around +10, Brunell rush +7, Betts +4 and ends in Hall 47 FG for 17-3 lead...(we hit some solid gains and showed a promising flow)...

Next drive was one play,a kneel down to end the half up 17-3

#################

Third Qtr:

First drive - Betts rush +6, Betts +1, Brunell sacked (we were hardly being conservative here)

Second drive - a 4:00 drive, featuring Moss catch +10, Portis +5, Portis +5, Portis catch -5, Cooley fumble that cost us a loss of 7 yds...possesion led to punt, but again, it consumed 4:00 (We ate up some clock with a 14-3 lead)

Third drive (following Taylor ejection) - Portis rush +6, Portis +1, Thrash catch +5 and first down..quarter ends with us still in possesion

Fourth Qtr:

Drive continues - includes a Brunell sack that lost 11 yds...we punted...

Fourth drive of 2nd half (after the Bucs 4th and one fails) - we begin at our 19 with 7-and-a-half mins left in game...we rush twice for hardly anything and go 3 and out...

Fifth drive of 2nd half: with 5:00 left we begin the drive with a 5-yard penalty on 1st down...Portis rips off a 10-yd rush....later, Brunell throws INT on 3rd and 3..(Bad play by Brunell, but we were trying to move the chains on 3rd down. Hardly conservative).

Sixth drive of 2nd half - with 2:48 left on own 30, we rush Portis to kill time and punt with 1:12 left. Our next drive was kneel downs that followed the Marcus Wash INT.

In summary, I see notwhere that we were excessively inept or habitually sat on the ball. We had a few untimely setbacks like the sacks and a couple of penalties, as well as the INT, but after further review, we took an early lead, played smart football agaisnt a rugged defense on their field and came away with a hard-fought win.

There is nothing about our apparent game plan that indicates to me we are ill-equipped to win again in these playoffs. If we execute, we should be fine.

Third drive - leading 14-0, Antonio Brown fumbles punt, with 2:00 left in quarter, we go 3 and out...(We smartly didn't force the issue after a negative special teams play)

Um, that's not "smart"...having your kick returner fumble the ball, but recover the fumble, does not necessitate being conservative on the ensuing drive and "not forcing the issue"...having your QB almost throw an interception that could have been run back for a TD, now THAT falls under the "don't force the issue and keep it conservative" label...

Thanks for the great analysis! I was completely wasted yesterday and a good bit of my memory fo the plays is fuzzy. This refreshed them nicely.

Overall, that is a solid offensive gameplan. Nothing wrong with that. The sacks were definatately harsh, but hey, they happen. And the best part:we play next saturday!

I actually dont think it was a bad throw by Brunell in the 4th quarter that was picked off by the Bucs. It was a "Risky" throw but it looked like it hit Taylor right in the hands and bounced off of them.

Taylor has hands? Have not seen that yet!

I know our stats were bad, but Gibbs knew what was going on. He knew It was a Defensive battle, Thus, He decided not to let the Bucs defense win the game. Gibbs succeeded. Again. Gruden let his Offense lose, Gibbs let his Offense punt.

sitting on the lead, thats how we had that slump in the middle of the season. i dont thing it was all gibbs fault much of it falls on the players. but gibbs was out game planned the Bucs Defensive cord. had us

It is NEVER a good thing when the offense cannot sustain drives. Period. It doesn't matter about the field position, the game clock, or the score. The offense should/must be able to sustain drives if we are going to have any chance to keep going to a SB win (though, right now all I care about is beating Seatle). Execution was very poor by the offense through out the game. Stats or no stats, that is the truth of the matter and there is nothing positive about that.

Guest Matt Kyriacou
Next drive was one play,a kneel down to end the half up 17-3

#################

Second drive - a 4:00 drive, featuring Moss catch +10, Portis +5, Portis +5, Portis catch -5, Cooley fumble that cost us a loss of 7 yds...possesion led to punt, but again, it consumed 4:00 (We ate up some clock with a 14-3 lead)

Wow. So we actually lost points during halftime? :D

The offense really was bad for that to happen. :D

The problem with the offense was this in a nut shell.

Rice dominated Samuels. 85% of our pass plays roll out to the side Rice was coming... and since samuels couldn't block him we couldn't do that. Brunell had no time to throw.... period.

I dunno about all of this talk about our offense playing poorly. A lot of teams would kill for a RB who rushes for 3.7 ypc against the bucs. Portis only carried the ball 16 times for 53 yards. Brunell only passed 15 times with 7 completions, not sure how that is really all that bad. We really didn't have to make a lot of plays because our defense was playing so well. If you really want to analyze a poor offensive performance look no further than the NYG performance today in Carolina. THAT was a poor offensive performance from the "future QB" of the NFC. We'll be fine next week, we won the game thats what matters.

Too much is made of this. We couldn't run the ball because CP got hurt. Since we have limited receiving threats, if we can't run we can't pass. Brunell was not good. The O line was not good either. But, they were up against one heckuva defense. So, while it certainly wasn't a good performance, it wasn't quite as bad as it's being made out to be. If we do the same next week, we go home.

If you really want to analyze a poor offensive performance look no further than the NYG performance today in Carolina. THAT was a poor offensive performance from the "future QB" of the NFC.

A win is a win! Thats what ultimately matters! I as all Skin fans would have loved to watch our team go out there and put up 28 pts...but Gibbs coached a smart game...and if Portis wasnt so banged up we would have seen him starting to increase his yard per carry in the 4th qtr...

The NYG....karma...remember all the NYG trolls coming on here after our first meeting? Banging on the Skins because they "are pros and there is no excuse for being shut out in such an important game".

Well I have a question for you NYG trolls...

How can the NYG allow themselves to be shut out in such and important game...at home...in the playoffs?:silly:

The good thing that the offense did was to at least move the ball enough to change field positions. We didn't have that many three and outs which helped to put our defense. We had a few good looking drives going that got stalled somewhere around midfield because of a sack/penalty/etc., but it's really not as bad as it looked. Those last few drives were the only ones I'd really call bad.

I agree dpike619....

Our last few weeks such as the Giants game we were able to pound the ball on the ground for clock eatting first downs. This game that didn't happen.

The Bucs had so many chances to tie the game and we were in trouble if the game went to OT.

Archived