Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fair weather Redskin fans, does it make you mad?!?

asnpcwiz

I can agree with you.But here in giantsland,all of a sudden,I see people with the skins clothing when its usually giants,jets and dullass.And now that the cowBUMS are out of it,the same people who knocked the skins and rooted for the bums are now telling me how great the skins are.I HATE THAT.If you root for a team...STAY WITH THEM...Win,lose whatever!!I have been a fan since I was 7.Good bad and great years.I have never...and will never!! put on another teams colors and root for them just because my team has an off season.I cant even pull for a team during a super bowl game just because its not MY team.I will bleede burgandy and gold for life.HTTR!!!!!!

Wearing a football jersey, jacket, or hat does not make you a TRUE fan. If that's what you prefer to wear around town everyday, then that's your choice. But don't try to judge another fans devotion according to your standards. I love my mother but I"m not gonna go around wearing a T-Shirt with her pic on it, like that's gonna prove to everyone that it's true. As you can see, this is only my second post, but I've read many by everyone else on the board, and it irritates ME when Skins fans try to belittle ohters that don't live up to their NFL fan standards. I've been a fan since I was 10 and yes I wore my Skins Starter Jacket everyday back then. But I'm a 32 yo man now with a job and I don't think my boss would agree with me wearing a football jersey to our weekly meetings. Game day is another story though:applause:

Maybe the next time you come across that "fairweather fan" that greets you with a "Go Skins", or "How about those Skins", you can give them a fan devotion test. :doh:

I agree COMPLETELY ! Who left up to the people here to decide who is "up to the standard" to be a fan ! Open up the bandwagon, jump aboard, hug the person next to you, and enjoy the ride.

And to all of those "we're not letting the bandwagoners on" people, get over yourselves.

HTTR !

Stop being a retard and getting mad because you think you are better than everyone else, thats an idea.

This is the same concept of people hating otherpeople just because they have money, or a nice car or something. YOUR TEAM JUST WON ITS FIRST PLAYOFF GAME SINCE 1993! How about you enjoy it and stop being such a stuckup, and know that with success comes people who are fans again.

Honestly.

Last night, at the Welcome Home Rally, me, Pez, Slinky, KevinB & a few others started chanting "SALISBURY WALKS!" because of his quotes early on before the season. We were the ONLY ones chanting it in a crowd of...200? When we stopped chanting, Pez yells out, "God, Don't you people READ?" :laugh: The people standing around us were looking at us like we were nuts or something. They had no idea what we were talking about. :doh:

:laugh: I was standing near you guys when the chant started and I was laughing my butt off! And, yes, they looked at you like you were nuts!

My burgundy and gold blood is congenital - and I've rooted for my team from birth in Montana, living there, and overseas - no matter where - and finally here, among my "own kind" :silly:

But hey, it doesn't matter - open the bus doors and let the bandwagoners in. Who knows if there was a little kid there last night who will become a lifelong fan, through thick and thin, and will be posting in 30+ years?

yeah, I mean..I like to see the colors and support from "real" fans that wear thier gear and support thier team win or lose, good times and bad..but this influx of fairweather folks that only wear stuff now and ran out to buy new gear because they have a winning record and made the playoffs kinda disgusts me.

the only thing worse than a fair weather skins fan is a fair weather cowboys fan who lives in dc. these, my compadres, are the ones who need to be thrown into a woodchipper. who's with me?

I'm with you on that... I can't stand it ... when the Cowboys are doing better than the Skins (they don't have to be doing well... just better than theSkins)... the number of people with Cowboy hats, coats, etc. on boggles my mind.

I don't respect fair weather fans... but I don't care if they support the team.

What I hate is when I am grouped into that category.. I've been a fan since the 60s (as long as I can remember... and I'm 52 years old)... but I'm not real outgoing. I always wear Redskins gear, but I'm not the type to make the "highlights" so to speak (And this is not to say I have anything against those that really go all out.. I love ALL die-hard fans... no matter what)...

I've heard people say (not specifically about me as I do have season tickets and go to the games) that true die-hard fans dont' like sitting at home watching the game, or die-hard fans have to do this, or have to do that... it gets a little frustrating to me when die-hard true bluefans are judged by others because of whatever reason...it may be something as simple as perhaps people don't have the $$$ to have all the Redskins gear, etc.

Sorry..kindof got on a soapbox there.

Bottom line..I do have problemswith fair-weather fans IF, when they are not "cheering for the team", they are berating them. If they just "quiet down", I can tolerate them. But don't do a 180 degree turn.

Stop being a retard and getting mad because you think you are better than everyone else, thats an idea.

This is the same concept of people hating otherpeople just because they have money, or a nice car or something. YOUR TEAM JUST WON ITS FIRST PLAYOFF GAME SINCE 1993! How about you enjoy it and stop being such a stuckup, and know that with success comes people who are fans again.

Honestly.

Since 1999, you mean.

Wearing a football jersey, jacket, or hat does not make you a TRUE fan. If that's what you prefer to wear around town everyday, then that's your choice. But don't try to judge another fans devotion according to your standards........Maybe the next time you come across that "fairweather fan" that greets you with a "Go Skins", or "How about those Skins", you can give them a fan devotion test.

excellent remarks "jd"... :applause:

Please remember folks.......that a lot of we fans have followed this team intensely for a long time..... we've all shared in the moments of heartbreak and jubilation over the years

We all undyingly support and take pride in this team...... but the notion that someone chooses to wear their warpaint in the heart rather than on the sleeve somehow makes them less of a "true fan".....is truly ill-conceived

Wearing a football jersey, jacket, or hat does not make you a TRUE fan. If that's what you prefer to wear around town everyday, then that's your choice. But don't try to judge another fans devotion according to your standards. I love my mother but I"m not gonna go around wearing a T-Shirt with her pic on it, like that's gonna prove to everyone that it's true. As you can see, this is only my second post, but I've read many by everyone else on the board, and it irritates ME when Skins fans try to belittle ohters that don't live up to their NFL fan standards. I've been a fan since I was 10 and yes I wore my Skins Starter Jacket everyday back then.

I would agree with you but the truth is you support people and teams in completely different ways. You don't show love for anyone close to you by wearing shirts with their names or faces on it. You do it by being there for them no matter what they go threw. That's the same case for a team. You show your team that you love them by being there for them nomatter what they go through. That means being proud of your team when they win or lose. And I'm sorry, but the only way to show your team that you are proud of them is by doing stuff for them...wearing their jersey, going to their games, watching their games each week, etc. Nowadays, you are seeing a lot more of the haters become fans only because the Skins are winning...that is what is pissing me off...not if you wear your jersey every day.

There is nothing wrong with easy going fans. Hell, somtimes I wish I was more easy going, but its just not who I am. Bandwagoners I have a problem with, but there are fans of all teams that really just do it to enjoy the game and they really dont care if they lose. I dont have a problem with that, just like no one should have a problem with the people like me (alot of people lol) who take it so seriously.

The thing about fairweather fans is, they never feel as good when the team wins as the ones who stuck throughout thick and thin.

If someone hasn't been watching every Sunday the past decade and a half, this trip to the playoffs can not possibly feel as good as it does to those of us who have.

Come on...a true fan wouldn't have said 1993!!! :doh:

Actually...in his defense, I think it was against the Vikings (1992 season, the year might have actually been 1993). The NFL season used to end earlier so someone might have to look it up.

Jesus...maybe I went off the looney bin, 1999?!?!?! LOL

Actually...in his defense, I think it was against the Vikings (1992 season, the year might have actually been 1993). The NFL season used to end earlier so someone might have to look it up.

Hahaha, at least you got it right...1999 bro. Well in your defense, you were only 13.

I have been a skins fan my whole life. I am 16 right now and all I have watched games since before I could remember. This season has been the best season I can remember. I barely remeber the last time we went to the playoffs (I do remember losing 14-13 in Tampa while up by 13 points in the 4th but I was 10 so I barely remember). This is the season that I have been waiting for my whole life. I was always patient while watching them each season. It was painful, but it was all I knew. I didnt get to see their glory days and only remember the losing seasons, but I am a die-hard fan- my dad instilled it in me. This season has had its high's and it's lows and it has been a roller coaster ride. It has been exciting and I cant wait to see them keep rolling. On to Seattle now! HTTR!!

To me I think it's worse to be seen as a fairweather fan when you've been a fan longer then what people suspect. In SoCal where there is no pro football team its easier for people to jump on the bandwagon of any team thats doing great.

I have been a fan of the Skins goin on 20 years. Im not very good with remembering stats and how all the past games have gone but im a Skins fan through and through. I watch all the games I can screaming and yelling at the TV. When I can afford it I will go to away games. I dont have a lot of Skins gear but I have enough that I can wear something each day of the week, and I wear them proud WIN or LOOSE every season. My closest friends all know im a Skins fan since.

The thing is there are fairweather fans out there in every sport. Its sad that they would abandon their team when they are down in the dumps. However they are the one's that are missing out on everything. Even in the bad times there is still some fun times, heartache and certainly commraderie. When they choose to look the other way when the team is loosing they miss out on a lot of that. Maybe this time they will stick around and not be ashamed.

Lets just cheer our team on to the next game, and the one after that and the one after that.

Ummm, how 'bout 1999 when we played the Lions and whooped them AT HOME AT FED EX FIELD in our FIRST PLAYOFF GAME THERE?!!!:doh:

Wearing a football jersey, jacket, or hat does not make you a TRUE fan. If that's what you prefer to wear around town everyday, then that's your choice. But don't try to judge another fans devotion according to your standards. I love my mother but I"m not gonna go around wearing a T-Shirt with her pic on it, like that's gonna prove to everyone that it's true. As you can see, this is only my second post, but I've read many by everyone else on the board, and it irritates ME when Skins fans try to belittle ohters that don't live up to their NFL fan standards. I've been a fan since I was 10 and yes I wore my Skins Starter Jacket everyday back then. But I'm a 32 yo man now with a job and I don't think my boss would agree with me wearing a football jersey to our weekly meetings. Game day is another story though:applause:

Maybe the next time you come across that "fairweather fan" that greets you with a "Go Skins", or "How about those Skins", you can give them a fan devotion test. :doh:

:cheers::cheers:

I couldn't have said it better.

If you're a true fan, be a true fan. Let the fairweathers do their thing. Acknowledge their support when they give it, ignore it when it's not there. As long as you're true to yourself and the team, who cares about the rest of the crowd?

I moved to KC at 11 years old in 1987, but never gave up on the Skins. We could finally get tickets to an NFL game, and Dad got us season tickets to the Chiefs. It was wonderful, and I will have KC as my number 2 team for life because of it. But when Rypen and the Skins came to town in the 90s, we put away the red and yellow for the Burgundy and Gold. Just for that one game, but the family was true to its roots. We heard it from the people we had been sitting with for years, but trooped through the game, and the following home game, we were back in red and yellow.

The point is that as long as you're happy with how you're representing yourself and your team, why get wrapped up in what anybody else does or says?

the only thing worse than a fair weather skins fan is a fair weather cowboys fan who lives in dc. these, my compadres, are the ones who need to be thrown into a woodchipper. who's with me?

I hear you on that one. I remember last season I heard someone say "Forget the Redskins. It's all about the Cowboys." It's funny how I don't see too many Cowboy hats or jackets anymore.

Archived