Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fair weather Redskin fans, does it make you mad?!?

asnpcwiz

I have to start this out by saying the Redskins have always been my team. Since conception, I have been a huge Skins fan. Now, the reason I'm writing is because I'm a bit pissed off about all the attention the Skins are getting around DC now. I'm not saying that they don't deserve it, because I honestly think they do. But everywhere you look now it's "Go Skins", "Hail to the Redskins", "In Gibbs we trust", etc. I see signs everywhere, everyone on the radio are going crazy about it, and people are starting to sport their Skins wear in full force.

THIS PISSES ME OFF!!! I have to vent because it's really making me upset. The reason why is because I feel like all of these guys are fair weather fans. Last year when we went 6-10 I wore my Skins jersey and hat every single game. I sat in front of my TV hoping they'd win, but still loved them when they lost. My wife's family hates the Skins and over and over again I heard from them "why do you even wear the jersey of a losing team?!" My answer..."because they are my team even if they win or lose". Last year I remember going to Costco after a losing season and wearing a jersey...I got a few laughs and a few "Deadskins" comment. Last night, I went to dinner wearing the same jersey and I got a few "GO SKINS!" I told my wife how I feel and she doesn't understand it at all. She thinks that it's great that everyone in DC/VA/MD now has football bug. To some extent I agree. Maybe it's just me, but it upsets me that DC/VA/MD only show support when the Skins do well. F THAT!!! It all feels so fake to me. So I want to hear what the rest of you think. I made a poll to make it easier. Thanks for letting me vent.

:applause: I know what you are saying!!!Try living in a area where you are caught with alot of panthers.cowboys,falcons,and skin fans!!I have been a skins fan since i was a kid and i'm 32 now!!!I can tell you i got sick of hearing the phrase "deadskins"!!I would sport my gear and often would be laughed at and hear you guys suck so bad!!!I just can't believe all the skins stuff I'm seeing now!!I know it's not a bad thing, but just where the hell was these people like over the past 10 years!!!I now understand the phrase"fair weather fans!!!"

I have never lived in washington but I guess it would bother me.

Still this happens on every sport; you will always have the fair weather fans.

In a way it may be cool seeing the success of the team you root for everywhere.

:point2sky

Yeah I know how you feel, but thats how it is with sports.

To me, I think who cares, as long as I'm happy and the skins are doing good, is all that matters.

Half of the city could care less if we're losing because well nobody wants to lose... but if we win then evrybody feels like they are a part of it because they live in the city even though they have no idea wo any of the players are.

But its in all sports, it sucks, but you cant let it bother you because its going to around all the time. Just gotta ignore it and KNOW that YOU ar ea true fan and thats ALL that matters.

Same with the patriots few years back...NOBODY believed in them, NOBODY ,except the peiople in the city.... Now look how many fans they got, rpactically the entire country.

Hello fello Fairfax fan. I understand what you are saying but I don't believe the Skins have as many "fair weather" fans as you think. Our fans have been through losing seasons, constant dissapointments, etc. However, our home games have always been packed, fans still watch the games and cheer/throw things at the TV from home. The playoffs just get everyone excited again. It's a good thing that the community is coming together to support the team.

It would be different if people in the area were supporting the Giants/Cowboys, then all of a sudden hop on the bandwagon to cheer for the Skins now that we are winning. I think Skins fans are some of the most knowledgable and loyal football fans. Don't let the idea of "fair weather" fans upset you...it's part of every professional sport in every city. Just keep on wearing that jersey out! Maybe i will run into you in Fairfax...i wear Washington's burgundy #53:cheers: :eaglesuck

I have to start this out by saying the Redskins have always been my team. Since conception, I have been a huge Skins fan. Now, the reason I'm writing is because I'm a bit pissed off about all the attention the Skins are getting around DC now. I'm not saying that they don't deserve it, because I honestly think they do. But everywhere you look now it's "Go Skins", "Hail to the Redskins", "In Gibbs we trust", etc. I see signs everywhere, everyone on the radio are going crazy about it, and people are starting to sport their Skins wear in full force.

THIS PISSES ME OFF!!! I have to vent because it's really making me upset. The reason why is because I feel like all of these guys are fair weather fans. Last year when we went 6-10 I wore my Skins jersey and hat every single game. I sat in front of my TV hoping they'd win, but still loved them when they lost. My wife's family hates the Skins and over and over again I heard from them "why do you even wear the jersey of a losing team?!" My answer..."because they are my team even if they win or lose". Last year I remember going to Costco after a losing season and wearing a jersey...I got a few laughs and a few "Deadskins" comment. Last night, I went to dinner wearing the same jersey and I got a few "GO SKINS!" I told my wife how I feel and she doesn't understand it at all. She thinks that it's great that everyone in DC/VA/MD now has football bug. To some extent I agree. Maybe it's just me, but it upsets me that DC/VA/MD only show support when the Skins do well. F THAT!!! It all feels so fake to me. So I want to hear what the rest of you think. I made a poll to make it easier. Thanks for letting me vent.

You said exactly what I have been feeling as well. On one hand, it IS great that all these people are starting to support the team again. It's nice to see B&G everywhere I go now, & people saying, "GO SKINS!" instead of "SKINS SUCK!" On the other hand, it's aggrivating because I have been wearing the same burgundy 56 for the last year & a half just about everywhere I go. I go to the mall, I wear it. I go to McDonald's, I wear it. I go to the HOSPITAL, I wear it. My thoughts of late have been, "Where were you people 6 weeks ago? Because I'VE been here the whole ****in' time!" I feel ya...I agree whole-heartedly!

:cheers:

Yeah it bothers me some.... but i figure the more fans the better... but i do hate that they only show up when we are winning....

I have been a skins fan since i was born and i have let everyone know it every year.. i have the plates on my truck... and i wear my colors win or lose... and i will always be like this...

it is amazing how many people see my truck and my shirts and all and say yeah go skins.. how about them skins.. i just want to say where were you 6-8 weeks ago...I was at the chargers game cheering my a$$ off....and then watching every other game doing the same.. even during the loosing streak...

I think with a gush of fair weather fans... when things calm down again, a percentage of them will become die-hard skin fans. Maybe?

yeah i agree this is a possible outcome... hopefully some of the fans that only come around during good times will realize what they have been missing and it will rekindle their love....

I have been wearing the same burgundy 56 for the last year & a half just about everywhere I go. I go to the mall, I wear it. I go to McDonald's, I wear it. I go to the HOSPITAL, I wear it. My thoughts of late have been, "Where were you people 6 weeks ago? Because I'VE been here the whole ****in' time!" I feel ya...I agree whole-heartedly!

:cheers:

The funny thing is I have been wearing my Smoot 21 jersey for the past 2 years. I still wear it occassionally even when the Skins aren't playing. I can always tell who the fair weather fans are because they come up to me and say "I though 21 was Taylor" or "Smoot isn't number 21". I'm thinking...idiots just started watching the Redskins these past few games. Makes me pissed.

I get a little mad about the fair weather fans especially after all the crap I took the past few years. People would ask me why i would drive 440 miles round trip to every home game to watch them lose. My response was I LOVE THE REDSKINS! In good or bad times I have stood up for our skins(yes I sat in the pouring rain when we lost to Dallas 27-0 in Dec 2003 and i also enjoyed the hell out of the 35-7 butt whipping we gave them this season). If they want to jump on the bandwagon let them but we all know who the real Extreme Skins fans are.

looks like you have an issue with pride. Who cares if people are fair whether fans. As long as the majority are loyal it doesnt make a difference.

Yes, I do have an issue with pride. Because to truly be proud of your team is to love them in good and bad. If you are proud only when you team is winning you aren't showing pride, you are just showing that you are a fair weather fan!!!

Hello fello Fairfax fan. I understand what you are saying but I don't believe the Skins have as many "fair weather" fans as you think. Our fans have been through losing seasons, constant dissapointments, etc. However, our home games have always been packed, fans still watch the games and cheer/throw things at the TV from home. The playoffs just get everyone excited again. It's a good thing that the community is coming together to support the team.

It would be different if people in the area were supporting the Giants/Cowboys, then all of a sudden hop on the bandwagon to cheer for the Skins now that we are winning. I think Skins fans are some of the most knowledgable and loyal football fans. Don't let the idea of "fair weather" fans upset you...it's part of every professional sport in every city. Just keep on wearing that jersey out! Maybe i will run into you in Fairfax...i wear Washington's burgundy #53:cheers: :eaglesuck

I think, to some degree, you may be missing the point here. You are right. It's great that the community has rallied behind the team. And in ALL fairness, it's really no fun to root for a team when they lose to the Jets 3-0. The point here is that these "fair weather" fans are Skins fans, but they say NOTHING when things aren't going well. They even scoff at the TRUE fans that wear Skins stuff yearround, like me. NOW, all of a sudden, there are shirts & jackets & hats that I haven't seen in at least 10 years in some cases. It's not that these people weren't rooting for the Skins before 6 weeks ago, but they sure as hell were not announcing the fact, like some of us have been. If you are a fan, then be a fan. "Stop letting these opposing team fans overrun us by you crawling back into a corner because the Skins aren't that good this year!"

The funny thing is I have been wearing my Smoot 21 jersey for the past 2 years. I still wear it occassionally even when the Skins aren't playing. I can always tell who the fair weather fans are because they come up to me and say "I though 21 was Taylor" or "Smoot isn't number 21". I'm thinking...idiots just started watching the Redskins these past few games. Makes me pissed.

Last night, at the Welcome Home Rally, me, Pez, Slinky, KevinB & a few others started chanting "SALISBURY WALKS!" because of his quotes early on before the season. We were the ONLY ones chanting it in a crowd of...200? When we stopped chanting, Pez yells out, "God, Don't you people READ?" :laugh: The people standing around us were looking at us like we were nuts or something. They had no idea what we were talking about. :doh:

I agree with you cowboyzsuckazz. Its amazing how many people around here laughed at me for supporting the skinz in bad times and now they are wearing skinz gear.

Yup, that's what pisses me off. 6 weeks ago, people were saying that Gibbs was done & even in here, there were threads popping up about Gibbs possibly not being next year because of how this season was going. Now look... :cuss:

I think, to some degree, you may be missing the point here. You are right. It's great that the community has rallied behind the team. And in ALL fairness, it's really no fun to root for a team when they lose to the Jets 3-0. The point here is that these "fair weather" fans are Skins fans, but they say NOTHING when things aren't going well. They even scoff at the TRUE fans that wear Skins stuff yearround, like me. NOW, all of a sudden, there are shirts & jackets & hats that I haven't seen in at least 10 years in some cases. It's not that these people weren't rooting for the Skins before 6 weeks ago, but they sure as hell were not announcing the fact, like some of us have been. If you are a fan, then be a fan. "Stop letting these opposing team fans overrun us by you crawling back into a corner because the Skins aren't that good this year!"

Wearing a football jersey, jacket, or hat does not make you a TRUE fan. If that's what you prefer to wear around town everyday, then that's your choice. But don't try to judge another fans devotion according to your standards. I love my mother but I"m not gonna go around wearing a T-Shirt with her pic on it, like that's gonna prove to everyone that it's true. As you can see, this is only my second post, but I've read many by everyone else on the board, and it irritates ME when Skins fans try to belittle ohters that don't live up to their NFL fan standards. I've been a fan since I was 10 and yes I wore my Skins Starter Jacket everyday back then. But I'm a 32 yo man now with a job and I don't think my boss would agree with me wearing a football jersey to our weekly meetings. Game day is another story though:applause:

Maybe the next time you come across that "fairweather fan" that greets you with a "Go Skins", or "How about those Skins", you can give them a fan devotion test. :doh:

Archived