Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Riggins vs Portis

RiggoReincarnated

I challenge every year for a Skins back to do what John Riggins did in the 1982 playoffs. Portis has the opportunity to do so this year with us playing four games...but when I put this up here...I think damn. 37, 36, and 38 carries the last 3 games. Nobody carries the ball that much anymore. Anybody think Portis can have a similar run through the playoffs? Here are Riggins numbers from the 82 playoffs:

Wildcard vs Detroit: 25 carries for 119 yards

Divisional Playoff vs Minnesota: 37 carries for 185 yards

NFC Championship vs Dallas: 36 carries for 140 yards

Super Bowl vs Miami: 38 carries for 166 yards.

I don't know if Portis can accomplish that Riggo Run.... he should be capable in doing so.... but it's heavily dependent on O-line play and game circumstances

Having longevity while averaging 300+ attempts a year is hard to gauge now-a-days, but I recall at least one guy of Portis' size doing just that for 13 seasons.... he played for the Bears twenty some odd years ago.... like you say.... not many do that anymore.

:bucsuck:

When Clinton Portis joined the team last year I didn't realize we had anoher great Redskin back like Bobby Mitchell, Larry Brown, Riggo, EB...but the man has the heart of a Champion!

"Coach...do you want to win the game?...run Gut and Power...Gut and Power...Gut and Power!!!

• 11 months later...
When Clinton Portis joined the team last year I didn't realize we had anoher great Redskin back like Bobby Mitchell, Larry Brown, Riggo, EB...but the man has the heart of a Champion!

"Coach...do you want to win the game?...run Gut and Power...Gut and Power...Gut and Power!!!

Alot of people say Betts is better at the Gut and Power but yet our man Portis was heard on the sidelines saying this to JOe Gibbs, I mean the man told Joe to run these plays if he wanted to win and win we did.

Well we dont need Portis to grind the ball with 35 carries a game, we got Betts to get share the load and exhaust the defense even more

EXACTLY:

Portis - 20 Carries per Game (avg.)

+ Betts - 15 Carries per Game (avg.)

+ Sellers / Duckett - 10 Carries per Game (avg.)

+ Campbell - 15 to 25 Pass Attempts per Game (avg.)

= DEVASTATING Rushing & Play-Action Passing Attack!!!

:dj:

Wildcard vs Detroit: 25 carries for 119 yards

Divisional Playoff vs Minnesota: 37 carries for 185 yards

NFC Championship vs Dallas: 36 carries for 140 yards

Super Bowl vs Miami: 38 carries for 166 yards.

You really have to be a machine to be able to put up those kinds of numbers.

For those people who would say that the game has passed Joe Gibbs by, or would say that it'd take a Herculean effort by a running back in today's much faster and stronger NFL to equal what Riggins did back in his time.....I would say only this.

You are wrong. With Gibbs' system and players in place and the Redskins working together....with Ladell Betts, Clinton Portis, or even a combination of both...the Redskins can make this work.

Case and point....

Here are Portis' numbers the last six games of the 2005 season....

27 carries, 136 yards

26 carries, 105 yards

23 carries, 112 yards

27 carries, 108 yards

27 carries, 112 yards

And, here are Betts' number these last four games....

24 carries, 104 yards

28 carries, 155 yards

33 carries, 171 yards

22 carries, 119 yards

Not too shabby.

I'll be more than happy to wait and see what happens next year. Wouldn't you?

HTTR

.but the man has the heart of a Champion!

Heart of a Champion?

What has he ever won? Nothing.

I swear you people make up stories about these players that are based on what you want the player to be that have no basis at all in reality.

You might want Portis to have a 'heart of Champion' but he has never won anything and never show it to me. He looks like every other running back out there, except he puts up better numbers than most.

And this idea that he is a "Redskin"--as if there is some ontological characteristic that would define 'a Redskin'--is absurd. This guy has played more games as a Bronco than as a Redskin. If he was a free agent this year, he would sign wherever gave him the most money. He wasn't drafted here. He was bought.

a Riggins vs. Portis argument is like trying to compare a bull and a cheetah. both will kick your ass, but in a very different way. altho i think Betts is a much more a "riggins like" back, which joe has to like, and sprinkle Portis in with that and we might earn the "thunder and lighting rushing attack" label :)

interesting thread for more than one reason, but i have to wonder, why dont people carry the ball 35+ times anymore per game? is it cause defenses are bigger and hit harder this day and age? ive seen lj and sean alexander pound away like that maybe once this year, but 35+ plus in huge games is just crazy.

Its simple...if you can run for 4-5 yards a clip every time you touch the ball, why not run 35 plus times a game and minimize the risk for turnover while opening up the defense for a big pass play.

I really dont understand what this assumption that Joe Gibb's style of football is suited for big running back is? Yea he won with that philosophy using Riggins in 1982, but he won 2 other Super Bowls with small backs in later years. Ernest Byner, Timmy Smith, Ricky Ervins, Kelvin Bryant, Brain Mitchell arn't big in any capacity. I really wish people would fast forward to the present and realize that Gibbs is not fixiated on a big back, he simply desires a runing back that runs hard behind a dominant offensive line. Portis and Betts are his types of backs!

Heart of a Champion?

What has he ever won? Nothing.

I swear you people make up stories about these players that are based on what you want the player to be that have no basis at all in reality.

You might want Portis to have a 'heart of Champion' but he has never won anything and never show it to me. He looks like every other running back out there, except he puts up better numbers than most.

And this idea that he is a "Redskin"--as if there is some ontological characteristic that would define 'a Redskin'--is absurd. This guy has played more games as a Bronco than as a Redskin. If he was a free agent this year, he would sign wherever gave him the most money. He wasn't drafted here. He was bought.

agree. The "Heart of a champion", "hardcore Redskin" and "Redskin for life" are all emotional feelgood things that make people feel good about their heroes. The truth is we haven't had a "Redskin for life" since Darrell Green and for the people that say that Taylor, Cooley or Portis are Skins for life remember Lavar, Smoot and Champ? A year before these guys departed no one saw it coming and when the whispers of lavar leaving started people on here denied it saying "no way" and "He's retiring here" and "He's retiring here." The "Portis isn't leaving" crowd sounds much like the "Lavar isn't leaving" crowd when Lavar's rumors first started floating. Let's wina championship and retire some of these guys in burgundy and gold before we give them a "heart of a champion" tag or "Redskin for life" title. Much like the stupid medallions that came out earlier this year that had them all labeled as "Redskins For Life" on them. Some will be gone by next year and probably well over half will be gone in 2-3 years. In the era of free agency and the cap the days of a player retiring in the same uni he played in for years are all over except in a few cases.

I really dont understand what this assumption that Joe Gibb's style of football is suited for big running back is? Yea he won with that philosophy using Riggins in 1982, but he won 2 other Super Bowls with small backs in later years. Ernest Byner, Timmy Smith, Ricky Ervins, Kelvin Bryant, Brain Mitchell arn't big in any capacity. I really wish people would fast forward to the present and realize that Gibbs is not fixiated on a big back, he simply desires a runing back that runs hard behind a dominant offensive line. Portis and Betts are his types of backs!

That is great with Rock Cartwright in the mix. We have great backs and our front line is greatly improved.

Archived