Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

1:00 games.....cheer for Tampa and Carolina to hold serve?

hail2skins

First off, yes, the order of the day of paramount importance is for the Redskins to beat the Eagles, which is the only way we're getting into the playoffs (sorry, but if any team inspires less confidence than the Raiders last night, its the Rams tonight against the Cowboys). And I don't think there's much chance Tampa loses to the Saints.

Therefore, do we want Carolina to win or lose? Right now, Tampa is the #3 seed, meaning we would play them if we're #6. I'm assuming a Carolina loss would move us to #5, which would set us up for a date in the Meadowlands. Frankly, despite the Jints looking lackluster last night, I wouldn't be very anxious to play them up there. Plus, a Carolina win would knock the Cowboys out of the playoffs.

Just some food for thought.......gotta have some rooting interest in the early games!!

If Tampa and Carolina win we will play the Buccaneers on the road and the same happens if both teams lose. If the Bucs win and the Panthers lose we will be play the Giants. We will also play the Giants if the Bucs lose and the Panthers win.

Assuming we take care of business like I expect us to in Philly...

...If Tampa and Carolina wins, then we play Tampa next week

...If Tampa loses and Carolina wins, then we play Carolina next week

...if Tampa wins and Carolina loses and Dallas win, then we play the Giants.

Why do we play Carolina if Tampa loses and the Panthers win? Wouldn't it come down to tie breakers between the Giants and Panthers to determine the no. 3 and 4 seeds?

The Giants and Panthers don't have a head to head so it would come to conference record with both of them tied at 8-4. The Next tie breaker would be the common opponents.

The common opponents are Arizona, New Orleans, Dallas and Minnesota making both teams tied at 3-1 AGAIN.

So the next tie breaker would be strength of victory which from recollection the Giants may have the edge.

If the Giants win this tie breaker scenario we play the Giants.

Why do we play Carolina if Tampa loses and the Panthers win? Wouldn't it come down to tie breakers between the Giants and Panthers to determine the no. 3 and 4 seeds?

The Giants and Panthers don't have a head to head so it would come to conference record with both of them tied at 8-4. The Next tie breaker would be the common opponents.

The common opponents are Arizona, New Orleans, Dallas and Minnesota making both teams tied at 3-1 AGAIN.

So the next tie breaker would be strength of victory which from recollection the Giants may have the edge.

I'm so confused, hell lets just beat whoever it is we have to play. That will solve the whole problem

This site lists the possible scenarios:

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/playoffrace/insider

You're right, strength of victory would be the tie breaker, which is why the grid shows "NYG/CAR" as the 3rd or 4th seed.

I would prefer going to TB than NY, but also wouldn't mind getting the #5 seed, on the slim chance the NFC championship could be at Fedex if both wildcards advanced that far.

Did you know Gruden has never beaten that Saints in Tampa? Strange but true. I also believe Carolina is 1-9 at Atlanta since joining the league. It doesn't really mean anything going into today, but I thought I'd add to the thread.

Gibbs hasnt won in Philly since 1989 either. Well except for that playoff game in 90, which this pretty much is too.

Assuming we take care of business like I expect us to in Philly...

...If Tampa and Carolina wins, then we play Tampa next week

...If Tampa loses and Carolina wins, then we play Carolina next week

...if Tampa wins and Carolina loses and Dallas win, then we play the Giants.

This in incorrect. If Tampa Loses and Carolina wins we still go to the Meadowlands and play the Gmen. Giants have a better conference record then the Panthers and would hold the #3 seed.

Archived