Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Your opinion on Clemons as an every down LB

LiveStrongSkins

The Lavar situation is a big mess. I dont even want to begin to speculate on that. My question is... Do we know enough about Chris Clemons to think he could be a solid outside linebacker if need be? He has great speed and is very quick to the ball. He may be a little undersized but I think if he was thrown into the fire in the future, he could be alright. He hasnt played much on first and second down so there is no sure fire way to know. What do you guys think? This is a Clemons thread by all means and not a Arrington thread.

That's what I've been thinking of also, in light of LaVar's apparent exodus. I thought I read something about Clemons being groomed for every down duty (not that every player we have isn't, but something about GW having a special interest in him). Clemons seems to have elevated himself the same way Pierce and Marshall have. The team has done an outstanding job in general with their rookie FA linebackers the last few years.

So far he's only realy been used as a pass rusher, so its hard for anyone to form an opinion of him as an every down OLB outside of our coaching staff. He is talented though, so I'm excited in seeing him in a bigger role next season either as an OLB or a pass rusher.

I think he's athletic enough to play a bigger role than just coming in on 3rd and long. But an every down LB? I don't know. He looks a bit on the small side for that.

Are there any mid round level LBs coming out of college this off-season that might be able to make an impact? Ideally, I'd love to get a Shawn Merriman type, but we'd need a 1st round pick in order to get someone with that kind of potential.

I think the Redskins will replace Arrington with a veteran linebacker in free agency, a mid-tier guy like a Carlos Emmons that is solid but doesn't cost the team in the future against the cap. Meanwhile, I do think Clemons will be given a shot for a bigger role on defense in 2006.

I'm a big believer in promoting in-house talent first and seeing what we already may have in the inventory that can be used more fully. I think the guy has demonstered three key attributes:toughness, smarts, and character. The coache have a far superior read on his ability level than I can, but I'd love to run him at DE next offseason independent of who else we go after in that role.

I think he's athletic enough to play a bigger role than just coming in on 3rd and long. But an every down LB? I don't know. He looks a bit on the small side for that.

Are there any mid round level LBs coming out of college this off-season that might be able to make an impact? Ideally, I'd love to get a Shawn Merriman type, but we'd need a 1st round pick in order to get someone with that kind of potential.

A bit small? He's listed as 6'6" 278# in the Skins roster.

I think he would be better suited as a situational LBer on the outside. The good thing, if there is one, of LaVar leaving is Marshall's experience. We have flexibility w/ our LB's. If a better MLB is available, we can move Marshall outside and if a better OLB is available, we can use him to replace LaVar.

What makes me mad is if the staff/organization wasn't too keen on Arrington, why we didn't we release him and resign Pierce. Marshall was fine at Arrington's spot.

I disagree. I watched him a lot last year and he was very ineffective as a pass rusher, and that's what WLB is counted on to do many times in Williams' defense.

Archived