Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's thank the New York Jets for...

VintageGold

I was just doing a bit of browsing on Redskin history and came across Riggins' story. According to hailredskins.com:

"John Riggins became tired of the Jets losing ways. (They did not have a winning season while he was there) To solve the situation, Riggins asked the Jets for a contract that matched Joe Namath’s. He knew that the Jets would not agree with his demands. Riggins played without a contract in 1975 so that he could sign with a team of his choice the next season. In 1976 he signed a contract with the Washington Redskins and received a $300,000 contract."

http://www.hailredskins.com/Riggins.htm

Wow, the New York Jets have given us so many wonderful gifts.

They let us have Coles for a while, then upgraded us big-time at WR when Coles wasn't getting it done with Santana Moss. They give us a Pro-Bowl caliber guard when they decide not to re-sign Randy Thomas. John Hall has been consistent. Morton was a flop though.

Then they proceed to lose to us in the first game of the season after the Redskin-Jet swaps.

Also, we hold a 7 win to 1 loss advantage over them in all time matchups.

Finally, I remember the Jets signed Art Monk for one year and helped him break, I believe it was the all-time receptions record in 1994.

What other gifts have the Jets given us other than Riggo and the players we have today?

I was just doing a bit of browsing on Redskin history and came across Riggins' story. According to hailredskins.com:

"John Riggins became tired of the Jets losing ways. (They did not have a winning season while he was there) To solve the situation, Riggins asked the Jets for a contract that matched Joe Namath’s. He knew that the Jets would not agree with his demands. Riggins played without a contract in 1975 so that he could sign with a team of his choice the next season. In 1976 he signed a contract with the Washington Redskins and received a $300,000 contract."

http://www.hailredskins.com/Riggins.htm

Wow, the New York Jets have given us so many wonderful gifts.

They let us have Coles for a while, then upgraded us big-time at WR when Coles wasn't getting it done with Santana Moss. They give us a Pro-Bowl caliber guard when they decide not to re-sign Randy Thomas. John Hall has been consistent. Morton was a flop though.

Then they proceed to lose to us in the first game of the season after the Redskin-Jet swaps.

Also, we hold a 7 win to 1 loss advantage over them in all time matchups.

Finally, I remember the Jets signed Art Monk for one year and helped him break, I believe it was the all-time receptions record in 1994.

What other gifts have the Jets given us other than Riggo and the players we have today?

Brandon Noble, when healthy is a solid DT as well. It really would've been nice to have him in the middle of the season when Salave'a and Griffin were injured.

No we drafted Monk

Who was responsible for Monk leaving and playing for the Jets? I realize he was probably over the hill and cost to much or whatever but that still sickens me that he wore a Jets uniform.

Did he do one of those one day contracts and come back to the Redskins to retire like E. Smith did with Dallas? Memory on this is kinda fuzzy.

Who was responsible for Monk leaving and playing for the Jets? I realize he was probably over the hill and cost to much or whatever but that still sickens me that he wore a Jets uniform.

Did he do one of those one day contracts and come back to the Redskins to retire like E. Smith did with Dallas? Memory on this is kinda fuzzy.

He left after the 1992 season, played a year with the Jets, and I believe a year with Philly, then came back and signed a 1 day contract

"John Riggins became tired of the Jets losing ways. (They did not have a winning season while he was there) To solve the situation, Riggins asked the Jets for a contract that matched Joe Namath’s. He knew that the Jets would not agree with his demands. Riggins played without a contract in 1975 so that he could sign with a team of his choice the next season.

Sounds like a great team player huh?

Sounds like a "me first" type of guy who later demonstrated it again in 1980 when he walked out on the Redskins.

John Riggins owes Joe Gibbs big time for saving his career and the "Hogs" for getting him to the hall of fame.

Sorry guys, I guess I'm in the minority (perhaps the minority of one :D ) but I don't worship at the alter of John Riggins.

:2cents:

:eaglesuck

Sounds like a great team player huh?

Sounds like a "me first" type of guy who later demonstrated it again in 1980 when he walked out on the Redskins.

John Riggins owes Joe Gibbs big time for saving his career and the "Hogs" for getting him to the hall of fame.

Sorry guys, I guess I'm in the minority (perhaps the minority of one :D ) but I don't worship at the alter of John Riggins.

:2cents:

:eaglesuck

But,but,but..All the Redskins under Gibbs I were angels!

I know it's sacrilege, but I don't think that Riggins was as great as some make him out to be, although he was a good running back.

Didn't Monk break the all-time receptions record as a Redskin? I thought he did.

He broke it as a Redskins, on MNF against Denver.

My friend from California was their with me and on that night she became a tried and true Redskins fan (she was already in the verge of converting, but the atmosphere at RFK was just too much for her to not convert 100%

In 92 the skins were trying to sign Monk to a little over the vet minimum incentive laden contract, but he wanted more guaranteed money.....so Monk started shopping his services and the Jets offered him a contract which was just about the same as what the Redskins were offering.

By the time Monk decided that it was best to stay with the Redskins...they had just signed Henry Ellard with the $$ they offered Monk, that's what pretty much sealed Monk's tenure here

Yeah, you are right Craig, just found this info about Monk breaking the record:

http://www.hailredskins.com/Monk.htm

"On October 12, 1992, in front of a national television audience Monk became the all-time leader in receptions with 820."

For some reason I remember Monk breaking a record with the Jets and Redskin fans were disappointed to see him break a record on another team. Did he break the consecutive games with a reception with the Jets? Perhaps my memory is fooling me, I just Googled Monk's name and "breaks record" and "Jets," I can't find anything.

Archived