Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Parcells Considering Retirement

XSean21TaylorX

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2270808

at age 64, the toll of another long season has Dallas Cowboys coach Bill Parcells privately contemplating a final retirement -- even as team owner Jerry Jones is urging the coach to sign a contract extension.

A turbulent season has Cowboys coach Bill Parcells considering another retirement.

Sources tell ESPN's Chris Mortensen that the death of Parcells' brother at midseason is one of the events that has triggered the coach's thoughts of retirement.

If Parcells stays in Dallas, it's because he truly likes the team he has assembled, even though his work is not complete.

The Cowboys (9-6) won a 24-20 thriller against the Carolina Panthers on Saturday and are still alive for a playoff berth.

Dallas needs to win its final regular-season game against St. Louis to have any shot at earning one of the NFC's wild-card spots.

Parcells didn't berate his team after a 35-7 loss to the Redskins last week. He figured that approach would only make things worse for a team already feeling bad enough.

"When everybody else is killing them, it would be nice if somebody tried to lift them up," Parcells said. "The week before last they were saying that it was one of the greatest wins we'd had here against Kansas City. Now, and I don't know if this type of thing happens in Charlotte, but West of the Mississippi it's either outhouse or castle."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

maybe bye bye for parcells?? ha!

But he never said it isn't true either.

you beat me to it.

I just watched the clip on ESPN news. Yes he was pissed that the reporter asked... but he had the perfect opportunity to put the rumor to bed and say that he would be back. But he didn't.

I thought it was strange.

That being said, I do think he'll be back. Especially if he doesn't make the playoffs. His ego won't allow it.

Archived