Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

For all the Chris Sammuels haters...

mcarey032

I am by no means a Chris Sammuels fan, but I would say that since he made the pro bowl he deserves respect. Why are there so many people out there who were bad mouthing Chris Sammuels? I read so many threads and posts that Chris Sammuels is awful and overpaid, well apparently the fans, coaches, and other players think so. Don't tell me it's a popularity contest. His position isn't exactly highly watched and there are no real statiscal categories to measure his performance other than sacks given up and the total yardage stats. So I want to say congrats to Chris Sammuels even though he had a lot of criticism during this year. Where are you haters? You need to give it up for Chris Sammuels!

I agree that Chris Samuels has been our best lineman since he came here in 2000, though this year you'd probably give the nod to Thomas.

Samuels has been a year in and year out top 10 tackle. I guess some folks expect him to be a Pace or Odgen but he's not and stop with the unrealistic expectations. He's a good (at times very good) left tackle. How long did we go without a legit left tackle? 8 years or so?

The most puzzling thing for me is that there seems to be a segment of fans who like to pick favorites and rip the "other guy". It happens with Marcus Washington, they love Washington so they naturally must rip LaVar. :rolleyes: This is also the case with Samuels. There are Jansen lovers out there and in their love of everything Jon, they feel compelled to bash Chris and his "rep" being the only reason he gets into the pro bowl.

It's quite sad really.

I am by no means a Chris Sammuels fan, but I would say that since he made the pro bowl he deserves respect. Why are there so many people out there who were bad mouthing Chris Sammuels? I read so many threads and posts that Chris Sammuels is awful and overpaid, well apparently the fans, coaches, and other players think so. Don't tell me it's a popularity contest. His position isn't exactly highly watched and there are no real statiscal categories to measure his performance other than sacks given up and the total yardage stats. So I want to say congrats to Chris Sammuels even though he had a lot of criticism during this year. Where are you haters? You need to give it up for Chris Sammuels!

Let's make this really clear: ANY position, including the o-line, can be a popularity contest when coming down to Pro-Bowl selection/voting. However, one major indicia of that is someone who's perenially in there like a Mike Alstott, who WAS Pro-Bowl caliber before but isn't right now. Perhaps the best example of this as to o-lineman is Larry Allen. He clearly doesn't belong now.

As for Samuels, it's been a few years since he's been in. As a result, this year's selection is clearly not a "reputation" pick. He deserves it and I see a whole lot quiet out there amongst the many Samuels haters who were clamoring for his trade or release. In fact, I've got one guy in mind. Wonder if he'll ever show up.

He is quite above average. But I wouldn't call him A Monster just yet. Pro Bowl voting has A LOT to do with popularity of a player. He is pretty well known for being a first round tackle that has been a staple in our offense for years.

But I've seen, along with many others on this board, him being swim-moved da hell out da way on too many occasions (for a Pro Bowler). He gets beat, he doesn't have outstanding agility, and he's been known for making penalties. It very much suprised me that he made it. Many of his votes probably came from people that just know his name.

He's a good tackle, I'd like to keep him, but he isn't any type of cyborg out there...yet.

Good thread! Chis spent most of his downs this year going 1-on-1 with RE. Most of you know that generally, the best pass rusher will be the RE b/c most QB's are right handed so the RE will come from the QB's blindside. And other than a few offsides calls, you don't hear from him or his man (which is good for a lineman). As I've said a million times, tape the game and watch it again, isolating on certain plays, Chris is even more impressive when I see the tape. I mean I've swallow pass ruhers.

Actually, Samuels is better than Ogden this year. Pace, I'd need to see a touch more before I judged, but I'll just go ahead and call it even.

Like many hated Redskins, the reality of his performance doesn't quite match perceptions. I can't tell you how many times Brunell's excessive pass drop and refusal to step up contributed to Samuels giving up "pressure." Samuels is a damng good LT and if any of these geniuses watched other LTs they'd see them giving up pressure and sacks. Hell, remember Pace vs. Bruce Smith in 2000? Smith ate him alive. It happens. The days of Lachey totalling stonewalling someone are gone. Even Ogden, who has declined, can get beat.

Actually, Samuels is better than Ogden this year. Pace, I'd need to see a touch more before I judged, but I'll just go ahead and call it even.

Like many hated Redskins, the reality of his performance doesn't quite match perceptions. I can't tell you how many times Brunell's excessive pass drop and refusal to step up contributed to Samuels giving up "pressure." Samuels is a damng good LT and if any of these geniuses watched other LTs they'd see them giving up pressure and sacks. Hell, remember Pace vs. Bruce Smith in 2000? Smith ate him alive. It happens. The days of Lachey totalling stonewalling someone are gone. Even Ogden, who has declined, can get beat.

Here, here, ghost. And, ah yes, Lachey. The good days. I remember how we rooked the Chargers for him.

Samuels stat line for the year:

Sacks allowed - 4

Holding penalties - 2

False starts - 2

Considering that Samuels also has helped the Skins to be the #7 rushing offense in the league i'd say that is a pretty good year.

For the record, here are a couple of other LT's in the NFL and their numbers:

Willie Roaf - Pro Bowl - 2 sacks allowed. 2 holding penalties. 2 False starts in only 8 games played.

Walter Jones - Pro Bowl - 2 sacks allowed. 1 holding penalty. 2 False starts

Johnathan Ogden - Pro Bowl - 8.25 sacks allowed. 0 holding calls. 6 FS

Orlando Pace - Pro Bowl - 5.5 sacks. 0 HC, 7 FS

Willie Anderson - Prow Bowl - 3.5 sacks. 1 HC, 1 FS

Samuels is right in line with the Pro Bowl LT's.

Here is the rest of the division:

Flozell Adams - 2 sacks, 2 HC, 2 FS in only 6 games

Tra Thomas - 2 sacks, 2 hc, 2 fs in only 10 games

Luke Petitgout - 5 sacks, 4 hc, 9 fs.

For those who dislike Samuels they might want to differentiate this year from 2003 under Spurrier where he gave up 7.25 sacks and had 7 false starts and 2 holding calls. The guy has been much better this year with the exception of the KC game where he struggled.

Wanna know why? Because when people hear a little critisism, they pile on and start the overrated crap when in reality he is a VERY Solid LT, Top 10 IMO.

I agree. We are REAL lucky to have him, he's my favorite guy on the Line. You rarely see him screw up and yeah he's been real quiet which is a good sign for an Offensive Lineman. Congrats Samuels. :cheers:

I love how this thread has very small input and the people who are hatin' on Chris Sammuels are large. Where are these people who say he is over rated and overpaid? I don't get it. You know when you make a mistake acknowledge it and move on. It's easy for us fans to take potshots from talk radio, but when you are wrong you should admit it. I never really criticized sammuels before, but I did criticize the line as whole when they haven't performed. So my respect to Chris Sammuels and hope he enjoys making the playoffs.

Wanna know why? Because when people hear a little critisism, they pile on and start the overrated crap when in reality he is a VERY Solid LT, Top 10 IMO.

Don't feed the parrots! =)..

There is no greater example of this then with Samuals.. Some moron said he was over rated 2 years ago and we still have people parrotting, when in fact, last year he should have gone to the probowl after giving up a total of 4(might be 2 I don't remember). This year I think he's given up 5 sacks so far.

Oh yeah this guy is overrated.. :rolleyes:

Archived