Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SS Sr, SS Jr, Brindise, Bugel vs Helton

Question for the board:

Months ago, many of us (myself included) questioned whether Wuerffel, our receivers and our OL were adequate as NFL starters. Flash-forward to today: I'm now convinced that these castoffs at QB and WR are indeed terrific at least for Spurrier's system. I credit Spurrier Sr., Spurrier Jr. (receivers coach), and Brindise (QB coach).

The OL has me more worried than ever.

Back in 1981, our OL looked extremely weak. But much like Spurrier Sr., Spurrier Jr. and Brindise have whipped our QBs and receivers into great shape, Bugel did the same for the OL.

Now all I hear is excuses about the bad OL players, and how it's not Helton's fault.

I happen to believe that Bugel in the same situation today would have made quicker, better decisions about personnel (sizing up the current roster and forcing better acquisitions) and would have coached whomever he had better than Helton has.

I'm thrilled about the skills of SS Sr, SS Jr and Brindise as coaches. I don't think Helton meets the same standard, and Bugel makes an excellent counterpoint. That's all I'm saying.

So: Is not fair to compare his record so far with the Ol to their record with the QBs and WRs? Or to Bugel's coaching in 1981?

Yes, it's early. But he's had just as long as they've had with the QBs and receivers, and it's arguably harder to teach QBs and receivers than it is OL. The results, to my eyes, are quite different so far.

Ok, so you've now established that Joe Bugel is probably a better offensive line coach than Helton. So what?

C'mon now. If you have friggin' Rod Jones, Kipp Vickers, and Ross Tucker (all below average starters) going against the best front 7 in football, there's not much Helton can do! Coaches are not "alchemists"- they do not turn sh!t into diamonds. I think you'd have a better case to make if we had a talented line that was underperforming. But that's not the case.

As a coach you can only play the hand you're dealt. He can't make Ross tucker more talented or Rod Jones more consistent. Unlike an offensive coordinator, a superior "scheme" can't make the offensive line good. Continuity is the best solution for improved line play, as we saw last season.

This anti-Helton rampage is ridiculous, ASF. Even if Helton isnt a good coach, the root of the problem is that our interior players (with Moore as the exception) are not good. Making someone a scapegoat is rarely a good idea.

HELTON LEAVES REDSKINS FOR BRIEF "PIT STOP" IN ATLANTA

By Michael Torres, AP Writer

Ashburn, VA-- An enraged and vindictive Kim Helton today abruptly left the Washington Redskins bound for Atlanta to "settle the score with some nimrod" who has apparently been questioning his coaching competence on a popular internet website. When asked if he will return to the team in time for this weekend's matchup with Tampa Bay, head coach Steve Spurrier responded, "Gosh, I don't imagine it'll take him too long. He'll probably just make a pit stop in Atlanta, whip this guy's @ss, and meet us down in Tampa on Friday." Spurrier added, "I don't reckon it'll have any impact on the line. He's such a great coach and all, his boys will know what to do come Saturday."

Helton arrived in Atlanta late this afternoon and was last seen circling the freeways in this vehicle:

suv.jpg

Calls to Helton's mobile phone were not immediately returned.

Originally posted by Buddha

HELTON LEAVES REDSKINS FOR BRIEF "PIT STOP" IN ATLANTA

By Michael Torres, AP Writer

Ashburn, VA-- An enraged and vindictive Kim Helton today abruptly left the Washington Redskins bound for Atlanta to "settle the score with some nimrod" who has apparently been questioning his coaching competence on a popular internet website. When asked if he will return to the team in time for this weekend's matchup with Tampa Bay, head coach Steve Spurrier responded, "Gosh, I don't imagine it'll take him too long. He'll probably just make a pit stop in Atlanta, whip this guy's @ss, and meet us down in Tampa on Friday." Spurrier added, "I don't reckon it'll have any impact on the line. He's such a great coach and all, his boys will know what to do come Saturday."

Helton arrived in Atlanta late this afternoon and was last seen circling the freeways in this vehicle:

Calls to Helton's mobile phone were not immediately returned.

Cool!!!!! My evil plan worked!!!!!!!!!

:asta:

Lemme see here . . . .

Pump shotgun . . . $200.

Joe Bugel . . . $1M in ASF savings.

Hanibal Lecter with his scalpel . . . $10 for "special sauce".

The look on fans' faces when they realize Joe Bugel has come back in Helton's body . . . priceless.

Bring it on, baby!!!!!!!

:asta: :asta: :asta:

Buddha..... :laugh: :laugh: ASF. I'd reccommend getting some more ammo for that shotgun. You seemed to have run out while shooting that.. well, you know....again...and again... and again......

"So: Is not fair to compare his record so far with the Ol to their record with the QBs and WRs? Or to Bugel's coaching in 1981?"

Bugel? 81? ASF, you can't honestly believe that it is fair can you? Wait. Sorry. Forgot who I was talking too. Oh, I've seen alot of reasons, but not a whole lot of excuses. Course, those are through my eyes.....different. You know. Speaking of which, the constant hammering of this subject can give the impression of a rather cloudy point of view. :cheers:

"So: Is not fair to compare his record so far with the Ol to their record with the QBs and WRs? Or to Bugel's coaching in 1981?"

Yeah, Atlanta. It's not fair to compare his record so far with the OL to their record with the QBs and WRs or to Bugel's coaching in 1981, except that Helton's gotten better production so far out of his offensive line, as witnessed by team records for offensive production so far in the preseason.

Spurrier brought in Wuerffel, Matthews, Green, Anthony and Doering to help install his offensive system. The quarterbacks and receivers are actually going to have it easier here than the offensive line, which has never been in a similar system. So, what you want to compare is how the QBs and receivers are performing in a system they've been in for several years, and where they haven't been in it for several years (Thompson, Gardner, Sage) they've had people demonstrating it to them who've been in it for several years.

Wow, who'd have thought they might know what to do a little more quickly than the offensive line? And again, let's not fail to point out that the offensive line is consistently five full parts of 11 offensive players. Personally I think you are a lunatic on this topic and, but, I personally find it terribly wrong for you to say Helton has done better than Bugel after three preseason games.

Helton, afterall, is the guy coaching the unit blocking for the most productive passing offense -- the one that lets you feel the QBs and receivers are fine now -- the team has ever had in the preseason. Bugel wouldn't like you saying the incubus is better than him.

Archived