Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Prisco RUMOR: Gibbs to walk away.

TheKeyBlue

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9084988/2

Pete Prisco, CBSSportsline.com senior editor

File this away dept.: There is some talk in the NASCAR circles that Redskins coach Joe Gibbs is ready to walk away from the NFL and go back to running his racing teams. The word is Gibbs is not having nearly as much fun coaching as he once did. If he leaves, look for Redskins defensive coordinator Gregg Williams to likely take over. Williams deserves another chance after his three-year run in Buffalo didn't end the way he wanted. He's a good coach who is as detailed and organized as any in the game.

So let's see.

On the one hand, we've got Gibbs himself, Snyder, Williams, Bugel and all manner of other people actually "in the room" all saying, over and over again, that Gibbs is seriously into this thing and committed to fulfilling at least his 5-year contract.

On the other hand, we've got a reporter NOT "in the room" floating an admitted (and not even original) rumor saying exactly the opposite, that cannot either be proven nor disproven, thus insulating him from any accountability. If he's wrong, he just says "hey, I said it was just a rumor."

Meanwhile, he gets some attention, sells a couple rags, and provides grist for the rumor-mill and people who love to traffic in it for their own reasons.

Is this a great country, or what?

There will be articles like this every year, until Gibbs decides to leave.

The question from me isn't will Williams be the next coach... I think that's a given. My question is who becomes the coach to oversee the offense?

Bill Musgrave? I hope not.

File this away dept.: There is some talk in the NASCAR circles that Redskins coach Joe Gibbs is ready to walk away from the NFL and go back to running his racing teams. The word is Gibbs is not having nearly as much fun coaching as he once did. If he leaves, look for Redskins defensive coordinator Gregg Williams to likely take over. Williams deserves another chance after his three-year run in Buffalo didn't end the way he wanted. He's a good coach who is as detailed and organized as any in the game.

*AAAAH AHHH CHOOO!*

Sorry, Im allergic to bull****

Prisco is just stirring. It's a risk-free proposition for him. It it somehow DOES happen, he can claim to have had it first. When it doesn't, no one will call him on it.

The smart money would absolutely be on Parcells walking away before Gibbs. They're about the same age, but, the diabetes notwithstanding, Gibbs is in generally better health. The NFL is a bad place for an overweight, hot-tempered man with heart problems. Combine that with Gibbs' greater commitment and integrity, plus his better relationship with the owner, and it's hard to see how Parcells would outlast Gibbs. If the Cowboys miss the playoffs this year, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Big Bill walk away. Year 3 and no playoffs, with uncertain prospects for the future (say what you will about the young Cowboys talent on defense, but they ain't got much in the pipeline on offense), and it's a perfect circumstance for him to throw his hands in the air and leave.

So let's see.

On the one hand, we've got Gibbs himself, Snyder, Williams, Bugel and all manner of other people actually "in the room" all saying, over and over again, that Gibbs is seriously into this thing and committed to fulfilling at least his 5-year contract.

On the other hand, we've got a reporter NOT "in the room" floating an admitted (and not even original) rumor saying exactly the opposite, that cannot either be proven nor disproven, thus insulating him from any accountability. If he's wrong, he just says "hey, I said it was just a rumor."

Meanwhile, he gets some attention, sells a couple rags, and provides grist for the rumor-mill and people who love to traffic in it for their own reasons.

Is this a great country, or what?

Exactly Om. Just to add, if Gibbs was really thinking about leaving, would he be talking to Nascar people about it? Prisco is an arse.

File this away: :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck

keyshawn stinks

Guest sith lord
I don't think he will, and I personally don't want him to. Yes, it would help the Cowboys because he is a great coach, but I love that the NFC East is packed with awesome coaches. Feels like the good ole days.

You're a little young to remember the "good old days" aren't you?

unfortunately I have begun to doubt the gibbs mystique.

Compared to many other cases, there's an abundance of legitmate reasons for Gibbs' to have a mystique, as normally defined. But doubt away.

If you're wrong to have doubted his ability to make this a winning franchise again, then you'll be happy that the team is winning and that you weren't in charge. And if you end up being right and then just think how smart you'll feel :) .

Yep.

I'd bet any Poke fan 5K that Parcells quits before Gibbs does. Gibbs is here for the duration of his contract, maybe even more.

Another reason I'm not a Tuna appreciater ...to go from his "beloved" giants to their rival in the same division...I know it's a job and all...but really...you'd never see Gibbs pull that.

i am also worried about the ability to evaluate talent- 2 first round picks in 2005- rogers is still very green but at least he is playing. jason campbell??? no first round pick in 2006 and we have many needs

Joe's first tenure was what ..12 years.. how many 1st round picks did the Skins have during that tenure?

Howard

Wilson

Green

May

The team Gibbs took over still had a winning mentality, just one losing season over the prior decade... there was also reasonable talent at key positions, (Theisman, Monk, Riggins(sort of :laugh: ), Warren, Milot, Coleman, Butz, Bostic, Mosely, Nelms, Olkewicz, Stark, etc.)

The team was moulded into a contender using 2nd and lower rounds, undrafted FA's, the occasional trade and players from the USFL.

Granted, Beathard and Casserly were in place but Joe had the final say in who stuck with the team, he was the one to appease.

This go around may be a little more of a challenge for Joe, considering his absence from the league, the changes in the game itself (free agency, pass happy rule changes, the cap, etc.) and the team he inherited....(loser mentality, "unseasoned ownership", flip-floppy coaching administrations with changes in philosophy, "unkown" level of talent on the existing roster).

As far as his current ability to judge talent and fill the needs of the team..we'll see.

Stability at quarter back was an immediate need, in his view, Brunell was his quick "fix", Ramsey essentially was/is an unknown quantity, a good backup.... is Campbell the "golden child"?....Gibbs saw something in him.... we'll know down the road... give it time.

Taylor, Rogers, Cooley, Portis, Moss, Grif, Clark, et.al. look to be a keepers so far.

It's also unknown who will show-up from the lesser knowns currently on the team. I remember seeing Dexter... a huge bolt of lightning on special teams....saw a similar flash this year... Nick Clemmons.. ya never know.

Many have pointed to 2006 as the "cap death" year for the Skins.

This off-season, most likely, will determine the direction of Gibbs second legacy....

I for one, can't think of a better man to handle it and to see it through as he's said time and again he would.

Gibbs ain't a quitter.........he won't leave us this soon. He done put in too much work and effort to leave right now. He'll make sure we're a championship contending team before he decides to leave.

We love you Joe, and we can't thank you enough for coming back and giving your all to help us become winners again.

Archived