Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

To the young people complaining about Gibbs conservatism

Mickalino

1 yard gains are missed in every game that is played on Sunday. Saying that any NFL can gain a yard at will is false. The very same thing that you stated allowed him to be conservative due to big leads, is the same thing that limits him now. It's hard to be dynamic when you have limited resources. For all the talent on this team, there are some missing pieces that are preventing success. We don't have a quality receiving corps and the O line isn't what it should be. We won't be a true contender until those things are fixed. A lot was fixed this last off season. I expect similar upgrades and improvements this coming off season. Next year will be the telling year for Joe Gibbs return.

Agreed - to an extent. The O-line has not been as good as they should be, especially in run blocking. But of late they have been getting better. I agree we don't have suffieciently talented wide-outs, however we are talent-rich in the short to medium passing game. Cooley, Sellers, Betts, Portis - all have made big plays in the 5-20 yards range.

It may not pretty, and it may not be explosive, but this team can win like this.

Actually the Tampa game was a perfect example. We had just marched down the field at will and scored a touchdown to go up by 7. Our defense stopped them on a crucial 4th down play and we got the ball back with 3 minutes left.

All we needed was a first down to seal the victory. We had scored on the last 5 drives in a row, including 4 TDs. We need a first down. That's easy. Right? Nope. What do we do? Abandon what was working (and working EXTREMELY well.. against a top defense I might add), and run-run-run-punt to give Tampa the ball at midfield.

And if you think about it, it's really lame that we gave our offensive line a Nick-name, before they even earned it. We started to call them the "Dirtbags", before they even started playing well together or earned a reputation, and which they've yet to do. Where-as the Hogs, FIRST became great, THEN gave themselves the nickname

Off topic kind of, but if you'll notice Mick, I have a question about this very thing in the "Ask Buges" thread.

It was my opinion that he named them that based on, we'll work with what we have which aint much, kind of a name, more than a bunch of guys who earned anything. [i've been wrong before]

Hopefully the question gets asked. I have personally not read much if anything this season talking about any Dirtbags. Hopefully he tells the story...

Note to Mods ahem

On Topic,

My big picture was three years to the playoffs this time around. We were in pretty bad shape both player wise, and money wise. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit disapointed in where we are record wise, but just like the Oakland Raiders, we are a much better team than our record would show.

It's hard to keep the emotion under wraps after the games. I do my best to just stay away from here after a game

The OP is dead wrong. Im one of those young guys. My dad at 63 isnt. My grandmother isnt. They BOTH say he is far to conservative. As much as I rail against it my Dad is far worse than I am, hes already declared Gibbs done for. Ive given him another year. He remebers exactly how those games were... he had season tickets. Gibbs back then punished teams in the 4th quarter and not only playactioned more and threw the ball downfield a lot, but he passed on first down once in a while. This is not the same gibbs playcalling and my Dad called that out pretty quickly. He said hes coaching as if hes scared.

And dont anyone criticize the talent on our Oline. On paper everybody in teh country would call it one of the most talented in the league. Perhaps the game has passed Bugel by.

People should really cut Gibbs some slack, to conservative??? well every game has been competitive(except for the loss at NY) I know that losses hurt, but all i can say is give Gibbs time. Gibbs is building a team, don't think for one minute that the game has passed him by. Gibbs will bring respect and wins back to Redskin nation. I started really watching NFL football back in late 1986 at the age of seven. I nearly cried when Washington lost that NFC championship game to the Giants. and i remember jumping for joy the next year(1987)when the Redskins went to the Superbowl and thumped a John Elway led Denver Broncos 42-10. 1988 and 89 were ok seasons,as was 90, and no one needs to be reminded of the 1991 team, 17-2, Superbowl win 37-24 over Buffalo, 1992 wasn't a bad year, made the playoffs but lost 20-13 to San Fran. But this I do know after Gibbs left things fell apart, the horrible 93' and 94' seasons, I'll give Norv Turner credit he did have some modest success, only one playoff appearance though from 94 to 00', division title in 99' But over the years I saw the decline in respect for the Washington Redskins. That happens when you go from a dynasty to a average at best franchise. Poor decisions in free agency, in the draft, has hurt the Redskins over the years. But I can tell you this I know bringing back Joe Gibbs was the right decision. Even if it's only for five years. As fans we owe a debt of gratitude to Joe Gibbs. Insulting him isn't going to make things any better for the team.

lets support him, weve had some close losses this year, and i know that it hurts, but we did beat Dallas, we did beat Philly, a good Chicago team, a good Seattle team, look at the positives folks, being of the negative frame of mind is not and should not be a trait of Redskin fans. One thing I'll say is the team hasn't given up, and they won't either. they will play tough till the last second of the last game of the season.

I know when Spurrier and even when Turner was coach there were times that the team just gave up, some losses were just pathetic,the Redskins were just rolled over.

Only once since Gibbs has returned have the Redskins been blown out and that was at the Giants. I will give Turner credit the Brad Johnson led 99 team wasn't bad. But anyway I think Joe Gibbs has the franchise headed in the right direction. Keep the Faith Redskin Fans. Let's stick together and be supportive of our team,our coaches, our franchise that is the Washington Redskins. SHOW YOUR LOYALTY, WEAR YOUR REDSKIN GEAR. Respect and victory = Joe Gibbs

First off, let me say that I DO respect Joe Gibbs. He is a HOF coach and knows more about coaching than I do. He has brought this team back to respectability and I thank him for that.

With all that said, GIBBS IS NOT PERFECT. Just because he is in the HOF that doesn't mean he can't be wrong. Just because I am 17 that doesn't mean I can't be right.

The fact is, regardless of anything you have to say, WE HAVE LOST GAMES THIS YEAR BECAUSE OF CONSERVATIVE PLAY CALLING. I don't care how old you are, you know that Gibbs has been wrong about this. And, as I've stated before, Gibbs does not seem like he is being conservative he seems like he is playing not to lose. The way you justify it proves me right, you say "it's too risky to throw passes because we might get a TO" or "Our players aren't good enough to smash teams." That is a LOSER mentality.

This team is not a bunch of bumbs, we are legitimate playoff contenders now. Gibbs should show more faith in Brunell(and a little less faith in this defense). Throwing the ball in the 4th qtr doesn't mean 50 yard bombs. Five yards dump offs to Cooley and Sellers would keep opposing defenses honest. Be smart about it.

Why would you try to run the clock out with 10 minutes remaining, only a 10 pt lead, against the #1 rush defense and a high powered offense(San Diego). That was not HOF coaching. That was "omg I can't believe I actually have the lead, I better run out this clock now" coaching.

Like I said, Gibbs is a GREAT coach. He has turned our team around quicker than anyone imagined. BUT, he needs to show more confidence in his players down the stretch of games. The "play not to lose" attitude has to go. And don't just blow off young peoples comments because "Gibbs is in the HOF." You never know, one of these "ignorant" kids could be a future HOF'er as well.

If you are old enough to remember all that, he had a group of receivers that allowed him to be conservative because of the tremendous leads he established. That is no longer the case. I am 43, old enough to remember everything, and he has been to conservative this year. His record is an example of what happens when you do not have a large enough lead to become conservative and run the ball on 3 straight downs. This in a new NFL and we have only had one big game. Yes, he should have gone for the first down on that drive, he ended up giving the Rams excellent field position with that decision. If you cannot gain less than a yard in the NFL you don't belong in this league. We have lost too many close games this year, the Rams are nothing to brag about, they are pitiful, and were in the game in the 4th qtr. I appreciate your loyalty to the man, but their is nothing wrong pointing out issues that have affected the outcome of 6 losses. Conservatism is one of those things, as well as questionable qb decisions, fumbles and other issues.

Look, I'm 49 and have seen IT ALL as a Redskins fan. In Gibbs era#1 a lot of fans complained about being too conservative, but it worked to perfection because of the NFL in THAT day. His teams had capable receivers for short yardage, his teams had BIG backs who could get 1-2 yards in their sleep, and his teams did NOT face the types of defenses today. Now fast forward to today: Gibbs has brought back the H-Back concept in the NFL (It had gone by the wayside with the dominance of passing and fast tailbacks,zone blocking, etc...) with Cooley, and he is TRYING to set in motion the concept that a good short yardage running team CAN control the clock and keep the other teams' offense off the field. Very noble attempts, and depending on the opponent, it can work. However, defenses are so good at reading trends and keys (so much better than 12 years ago), plus the linemen are so much bigger and faster, the short yardage game cannot be the bread-n-butter anymore. This is yet another season where Gibbs is feeling his way into the new NFL. With that said, my opinion is that our OLine is not quite there yet, our main RB is still 'learning' but I think undersized for that role of 'pounder', and the play calls are still taking too much time.

Yes, conservative football is boring, it typically leads to close games, but I agree on one aspect of it. It will demoralize an opponent's defense if they cannot stop it. I've complained this year about Gibbs being stubborn to the past, but some breaks, some weird officiating, and the OLine's miscues have hampered the success of this conservative coach. But I'm a homer, conservative or not. It's my right as a fan to complain, but I also can see the value of Gibbs' APPROACH should it ever get to the point where it clicks.

Well, the clock still runs on the spot of the ball, even on an incomplete pass with more than 5 min left on the clock in the 4th quarter. So running in the 3rd and early 4th doesn't make that much more of a difference.

Is this a new change that I've never heard about? :D

Archived