Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tips for Broiling a Steak?

zoony

OK not so much tips, but more like an idiot's guide. :doh:

I've never broiled anything before.

I'm in charge of cooking dinner tonight and I've got two NY Strips... the bbq is already cleaned and put away for the winter, and I'm definitely not frying those bad boys.

I've got the broiling rack that came with the oven, and I'm aware that there is a setting on the oven's temp selector that says 'Broil'.

Other than that, I'm a blank slate. Any help would be appreciated. :cheers:

Well first tip is make sure you ask how the people want their meat done, rare, medium rare, medium, medium-well and well done and second dont forget to put the diamonds on the steak on both sides.. if it looks good it will taste good, if it looks crappy it will taste like :pooh:, and last advice I can give you is dont forget the BBQ sauce and for a perfect steak its 7 minutes broiled on each side now GOOD LUCK SOLDIER! ;)

I'm not sure I'd broil NY Strips (think more cheaper cuts if you are going to broil). Oh well.

Only thing about broiling is you keep the oven door cracked open. It will sit in the proper position. Maybe an inch from being closed. Don't close the door completely. Also the meat should be placed closer to the top burner than when baking. Cleaning a broiling pan is a pain in the butt. Soak it soon after taking the meat off.

Marinate/season more than you would on a grill or it will be tasteless.

OK not so much tips, but more like an idiot's guide. :doh:

I've never broiled anything before.

I'm in charge of cooking dinner tonight and I've got two NY Strips... the bbq is already cleaned and put away for the winter, and I'm definitely not frying those bad boys.

I've got the broiling rack that came with the oven, and I'm aware that there is a setting on the oven's temp selector that says 'Broil'.

Other than that, I'm a blank slate. Any help would be appreciated. :cheers:

My grills stay out year round, because I will use them year round.

Thanks everyone...

wife bought the steaks pre-marinated by the meat dept, and the butcher assured her they would be good. Not sure if I would have bought them that way but I learned a long time ago to not complain :)

So should the rack of the oven be at the very top with door cracked?

and 7 minutes per side sounds right? They look to be about an inch thick.

Thanks

Three minutes a side. You'll ruin them with seven minutes a side.

Correct. Seven minutes a side isn't just well done, it's burnt. I think 3 minutes a side will come out medium rare for a 1 inch thick steak.

Broiling steaks can actually be better than grilling them (a friend of mine swears by it and he's a grill freak). A lot of top notch restaraunts actually broil their steaks instead of grilling them.

Correct. Seven minutes a side isn't just well done, it's burnt. I think 3 minutes a side will come out medium rare for a 1 inch thick steak.

Broiling steaks can actually be better than grilling them (a friend of mine swears by it and he's a grill freak). A lot of top notch restaraunts actually broil their steaks instead of grilling them.

:applause: I agree with Nelms. The KC Masterpiece steak seasoning isnt a bad choice either. :2cents:

Yea, whats the skinny on the steaks bud.. would be nice to know how it worked out.. be honest !

:)

Well Zoony, how did it turn out? Inquiring minds want to know?!!

:laugh:

Actually they turned out really good. It ended up being about 5 minutes / side though.... they were still mooing after 3 minutes. :)

One thing though... the fan on my stove is ####ing worthless. (& it's brand new :cuss: ) The kitchen looked like I had a fireworks display... the smoke was rising from the oven door right past the fan above it directly into the kitchen. :doh:

OK enough complaining. Thanks to everyone, I conquered the steaks. The wife was impressed. ;) I also made REAL mashed potatoes (a first) and some steamed spinach with lemon juice. Dam, now I'm hungry again.

:cheers:

Archived