Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

what is the biggest reason we are [5-6]?

lead commander

what is the biggest reason we are 5 and 6 at this point of the season,with the talent we have and the coaching staff we have, this is not where we should be..i thought turnovers was the biggest reason, but we didnt turn it over at all against the chargers and still lost at home..plus we got 3 turnovers from them...WHAT IS GOING ON? :(

I'd say injuries...Tupa before the season, Hall at the beginning...both effecting special teams. Noble(out all season), Salave'a, Griffin being injured...Taylor was missed against Tampa...Bowen will be better next season, but his knee injury effected him this year... Thrash, Patten, Sellers, Betts...all out, all key members of the offense...

Other then that, the subpar play from Harris and Royal, but I think both were supplements... Rogers is gonna be the starter(and needs to produce)...Royal is Seller's replacement, and I don't think he's as good...

I think the biggest reason for our 5-6 record is even more simple than turnover, penalties, or injuries. The Skins just don't stay in the game! How many games have we lost in the 4th quarter after leading the entire game? It seems to me that by the time the 4th quarter rolls around, noone is putting forth the effort to ensure a victory on either side of the ball. The offensive play calling leaves much to be desired and the defense is absolutely pathetic! Especially, considering the talent that we have. The way I see it, we should, at the very least, be 8-3 right now.

Reasons for losing this year:

2: Playing not to loose

5: Playing not to loose

LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE LOSE

Inability to generate defensive pressure when it counts. We aren't getting the sacks this year. We aren't getting the hits that year. Yet we are still going blitzing a lot. If you blitz and don't get there, then there a holes to be exploited. Also, we don't spread the ball around. Maybe we lack viable options (Robert Royal let us down big time last game) but there are huge stretches where no ball is even thrown the direction of anyone besides Moss and Cooley. Portis has been a great blocker for us, but not the runner we hoped for. That could be him or the line. It was distressing for me the way Ron Dayne looked behind the Denver line.

It isn't turnovers. Turnovers are like points on the scoreboard. Most turnovers are forced. They are the effect of being outplayed by a better team.

We have scored 214 points and given up 227 which places us right about in the middle of the pack. Our 5-6 record is deserved.

If you expected more, it's because you overrated either the talent or the coaching on this team.

Our defense has regressed...primarily because opposing teams are catching up with our scheme. The loss of Pierce hurt too, in my opinion.

The offense is much better (it was awful most of last year) but it has not improved as much as many fans think. The gaudy stats were mostly Brunell-Santana which was cut back once teams started double-teaming Moss.

52 of our 214 points came against the 49ers. That means we averaged 16.5 against 10 other opponents.

We have been in EVERY game except the Giants game (and we'll see them again here). Which means we are a solid team capable of competing w/ANYONE. There is a hump that sometimes we can get over to WIN and sometimes we cant. It usually is a 3pt hump (where if we had 3pts or not allowed 3pts) that makes the difference.

SD

Oak

TB

DEN

Turnovers in 3 of those 4 are to blame. The SD game our offense was inept in the 4th. When we dont turn the ball over we make up for it by committing dumb penalties.

We need to play a perfect game to win. Some teams can win ugly...we arent that good. We need to have = or + turnover margins to win.

I dont even want to know how far in the negative our ratio is...it sickens me.

Turnovers are the key....we are ONE possesion from being 6-5 or 7-4 or 8-3 that one less Portis/Brunell fumble may have us sitting in good shape.

Inability to generate defensive pressure when it counts. We aren't getting the sacks this year. We aren't getting the hits that year. Yet we are still going blitzing a lot. If you blitz and don't get there, then there a holes to be exploited. Also, we don't spread the ball around. Maybe we lack viable options (Robert Royal let us down big time last game) but there are huge stretches where no ball is even thrown the direction of anyone besides Moss and Cooley. Portis has been a great blocker for us, but not the runner we hoped for. That could be him or the line. It was distressing for me the way Ron Dayne looked behind the Denver line.

the defense has nothing to do with it. i know what your thinking cause i thought the same thing, but these last three games have shown me that it doesnt matter, pressure or no pressure its our inability to attack the scoreboard thats the problem. the defence put up more points againsed oakland than the offense did, and thats sad againsed the then 24th ranked D in the league. last week we turned the ball over 3 times 3!!!! after we had been bashing our D for weeks they came through and stepped up and look what happens. 2 picks in the fourth quarter alone, one resulting in a return to the 30 yard line, which we did not convert on.

i wouldnt put the blame on one side of the ball or the other well............ maybe 60%-40% offense-defense. coaching has a lot to do with it, gibbs is very conservative and it shows when we try and hold a 7 point lead for an entire half againsed a talented offense like san diego.

Good points oldfan, but if you look at the records of the teams we have played I think that is the biggest reason.

Granted that a strength of schedule adjustment is in order but don't give it too much. Don't forget that parity is alive and well, especially in the NFC.

Oldfan,

And hopefully that parity will take care of itself for the rest of our division this year.

Agreed.

You know, when I think about the needs of this team, I get discouraged because we are lacking in so many ways. Then I remember that the margin between the winners and losers in our division is wafer thin. It wouldn't take a helluva lot of improvement to win our division.

Most games this year throughout the league have been close games. You might say we're only a couple of players away, but there are 25 other teams saying the same.

Strength of schedule definately comes into play. It's been a brutal year for us in that regard.

Even so, we could have (and should have) been a lot better this year. We need, in no particular order:

A possession WR. Cooley is a great find, but he's not good enough to be a primary option. Sorry. We need an Art Monk-type on this team to pull the doubles off of Moss's Gary Clark.

A pass-rushing DE. A HUGE oversight by the staff this year. Plase, for the love of all that is holy, don't ignore this need again this offseason.

A #2 corner. Rogers looks promising, but he wasn't able to step right in and fill Smoot's role. That really hurt us, because Harris isn't good enough for more than nickle work and spot-duty at this point. Hopeully Rogers' development will fill this spot naturally, but (minor rant warning) if we had simply kept Smoot, we could have used the first rounder on a pass-rusher and TWO of our big holes wouldn't have been holes this year. Grrr.

Archived