Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Missing Link: The Riggo Drill(Merged)

DCMONEY

It just seems to me that the Skins can't kill the 4th quarter. If any of you are old enough, can you remember when it didn't even matter if the opposing defense knew what we were going to do. If the Skins had a 10 point lead in the 4th quarter, its riggo drill time. Why in the hell can't the Skins kill clock now when they have to? I mean our offensive line is one of the highest paid in the league. We have the 2nd highest paid back in the league yet they can't get physical in the 4th quarter and get money yards. :mad:

For our younger fans, I'll start by explaining that, in the first Joe Gibbs era, when we held a lead in the fourth quarter, our team could pound out first downs against tired defenses, run time off the clock, and finish out the game with our opponent's offense on the sidelines. We called it the Riggo Drill.

That strategy worked because we had the horses to make it work. Our offensive line was usually bigger and better than our opponent's D line. John Riggins was a runner big enough to push the pile for a couple of more yards at the end of a carry.

The 2005 Redskins don't have the horses to make the power running game work. I think our O line is better than most but it doesn't have the talent to overpower opponents consistently. I think Portis is a good running back but he's not at his best when running between the tackles.

We have lost leads in the fourth quarter in three straight games because we don't have a 2005 version of the Riggo Drill but we are still calling plays as though we do.

With the lead in the fourth quarter against San Diego, after a prior three and out, and after failures in similar situations in previous games this year, we finally called a play-action, rollout pass on first down. It would have been a good call if Robert Royal wasn't the intended receiver.

Run the football for first downs, take time off the clock, keep the opponent's offense on the sideline...sure it's a great strategy if you have the personnel to make it work. If you don't, it's pretty damn foolish to keep trying and failing.

What do you think? Am I right or wrong?

they are tired....too much work during the week. also and most importantly, NO ONE IN THE NFL CAN RUN THE BALL WHEN THE OPPONENT KNOWS THAT'S ALL YOU WILLING TO DO.

blocking? what is the point of pulling lineman when they let the people run into the backfield untouched? do they even consider a simple draw or trap play?

I think we're tired as well, but not from too much work during the week. This is way Gibbs did things the first time around. Why all of a sudden is working

too much during the week a problem. Is it the players mindset have changed?

IMO, we're seeing the affect of a team that had a week 3 bye. The rest

needs to come during the middle of the season.

they are tired....too much work during the week. also and most importantly, NO ONE IN THE NFL CAN RUN THE BALL WHEN THE OPPONENT KNOWS THAT'S ALL YOU WILLING TO DO.

This what we're talking about in the "How does Gibbs not see what he's doing wrong?" thread.

I disagree. There are some teams who will say "You know we're going to run at you. Try and stop it!"

Old school, Riggo's Rangers style!

1) when we dealt Champ we should have got Defense in return -- preferably a D-lineman and a young prospect at corner --- Clinton simply does not fit coach's offense. He would be a nice compliment (Kelvin Bryant type) back but we all know he makes too much $ to fill that role.

2) We should have drafted Stephen Jackson -- he is every bit as fast as portis, but the guy is 235 with a BIG mean streak. people would be reminded of the diesel bc this guy would make some of his own holes at crunch time. I know there are a lot of Portis lovers on here - and I agree - the guy plays hard and does a lot of the little things. But you can't escape the fact that the man simply doesn't belong in this offense. I am so desperate for an athletic bruiser right now I would probably trade him straight up for TJ Duckett.

3) We need to get off coach for yesterday's play calling. He put us in plenty of positions to win in the 4th qtr and that is ALL the man can do. He is now officially a senior citizen. He can't release on a playaction and catch the ball for Robert Royal. He can't keep Rabach from wrapping a DTs legs on the portis run which would have put us in point blank FG range. He can't step in for Brunell on 3rd and 2 and run for a crucial 1st down instead of throwing it away for the 80th time in the game. He CAN NOT make the plays for these guys -- he did his job by putting them in a position to succeed and they blew it. Period.

Archived