Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Roddy White - coulda/woulda/shoulda

318 SKIN

Trading 4 draft picks for a WR would've been ridiculous.

I agree with you on that - for some reason I thot we had a 2nd pick in the 1st round and traded up a few places to get Campbell. However, I think it is just as foolish to give away 4 picks including a 1st to take a QB that most experts felt was a project at best. I can't imagine there are very few 25th picks in the history of football worth 4 draft picks!

In two years time, you will all be very thankful for the pick of Jason Campbell.

So who do you dissenters believe should be our quarterback in 2007? And do any of you really believe that having a rookie WR starting opposite of Moss would put us at a significantly improved record?

I am not being a dissenter..im just saying we could have addressed another need and still drafted a QB in the later rounds like Fry or Kyle Orton....but still 4 picks is a lot of picks...

-Grant

I am not being a dissenter..im just saying we could have addressed another need and still drafted a QB in the later rounds like Fry or Kyle Orton....but still 4 picks is a lot of picks...

-Grant

Of course, in 20/20, its easy to say "Oh, Kyle Orton will be a winner." But we didn't just draft a QB that we can plug in, and do just enough to not lose the game for us. We drafted a QB that can potentially be one of the best in the league, that will hopefully single-handedly win us games much like McNabb, Brady, etc. has in recent years.

If Coach Gibbs saw enough in Campbell to invest so many picks and so much money in him, do you really not trust this man? The quarterback position in a year or two from now would have been a MUCH bigger need than the #2 wideout position. You can't be so shortsighted if you expect this franchise to continuously contend for the playoffs.

Roddy White would not have ensured that we made the playoffs this year, or next year. But Jason Campbell will be the quarterback that ensures that we have a bright future. We have set up a young offense that should be able to prosper for a while in this league, with the Campbell-Portis-Moss trio hopefully becoming one of the most dangerous trifectas around.

Gibbs took a future pick and used it to address a future need. I don't think you can really argue with that.

Of course, in 20/20, its easy to say "Oh, Kyle Orton will be a winner." But we didn't just draft a QB that we can plug in, and do just enough to not lose the game for us. We drafted a QB that can potentially be one of the best in the league, that will hopefully single-handedly win us games much like McNabb, Brady, etc. has in recent years.

Gibbs took a future pick and used it to address a future need. I don't think you can really argue with that.[/quote/]

I liked the Campbell pick. That being said, it is not "20/20 hindsight" when talking about drafting Orton in a later round. If you watched any college football you would have known that Orton is a quality QB. He was one of the best 3 QB's in the nation before he got hurt. Purdue kept his injury quiet and it looked like he was benched for poor play when he was actually playing hurt for more than half the season.

I think Campbell will be a good QB but we could have addressed more pressing needs (DE/WR/TE) and still drafted a quality QB later. :2cents:

Trading 4 draft picks for a WR would've been ridiculous.

Not if Campbell proves toe a bust, the Campbell pick was a HUGE REACH based on all available evidence, particularly considering Leinart would be available in '06. Only way he proves worth it is if he's a good-franchise QB. Roddy White already has tons of positive word of mouth, and is producing as good as any WR in Atlanta with that hack throwing the ball to him. Trading all that booty for White would have been a mistake of course, but White is much more likely to live up to the hype than Campbell is.

Archived