Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Indictment of stupidity

DEFENSEGURU

Poor coaching. Thats what loses as many games as poor playing.

Look at the Lions in Detroit today. Game and a half goes by and Roy Williams hasn't caught a pass. In fact they have thrown his way 1 time.

If you have lots of playmakers, you spread the ball around. If you have ZERO playmakers, you spread the ball around. But if you have only ONE playmaker, you must get the ball to that playmaker or die trying. No one can blame you if you at least TRY to put the ball into your playmakers hands. Steve Mariuchi is a great guy but he is a terrible NFL football strategist. Just horrible.

Isn't this what is wrong with the Redskins sometimes. Gibbs philosophy is to SPREAD the ball around and give everybody a chance. And that is commendable, in pee wee football. But this is the NFL. Moss gets 5 or 6 catches a game and many are 2-3 yard passes. It is inexcusable to not throw 10 passes towards Moss and half of them should be crossing patterns or deep patterns that take advantage of his speed.

It is inexcusable to have a speed receiver with great hands and keep feeding him 2 yard passes or 7 yard buttonhook routes. Inexcusable.

I have no idea why Gibbs only uses Moss on deep routes when the Skins get behind by 2 TD's but it is inexcusable. You don't spread the ball around unless you have LOTS of playmakers. If you have ONE playmaker, then you get the ball to him....or die trying. Perhaps that is why the Lions haven't scored in the first half, and why the Redskins didn't score an offensive touchdown last week.

Or MAYBE if Taylor Jacobs was worth a damn, it wouldn't matter...

Moss was doubled most of the game last Sunday, all Jacobs had to do was beat one man and catch the football... He was on a freakin' island, and on a few of the plays he couldn't have gotten more open.

It's been said over, and over, and over again...

The reason this team is 5-5 is thanks to turnovers. Period.

Or MAYBE if Taylor Jacobs was worth a damn, it wouldn't matter...

Moss was doubled most of the game last Sunday, all Jacobs had to do was beat one man and catch the football... He was on a freakin' island, and on a few of the plays he couldn't have gotten more open.

Moss was doubled teamed? In that case Moss is not a playmaker I guess.

Isn't it funny when T.O. is double teamed that he still makes plays? When a safety is backing off of Moss because he is in on the doubleteam...thats when you run crossing routes and use the speed. Or thats when you run turn and go patterns.

Either the cornerback is pressing Moss and he will get beaten deep..and with the safety playing off there is an opening in the 20-25 yard area.....or the cornerback is giving up ground and those 2 yard passes would be gaining excessive yardage. Since that is inot the case, corners are pressing Moss, so he needs to run those fly pattersn, which is he is NOT.

MOSS is NOT running go patterns, and everybody is defending Gibbs by the same of lame excuse.."well, Moss is being doubleteamed". How can Moss be double teamed and yet I still see 9-10 men within 4 yards of the line of scrimmage getting ready to stop Portis? That is impossible. There aren't enough men to double cover your best receiver and still get 9 men up to stop your run. That would leave nobody to cover Cooley and the other receiver.

The playcalling is inferior on this team and thats just a fact. We are predictable in that way. We fail at the same plays over and over and over and we continue to run the same scheme.

Moss was doubled teamed? In that case Moss is not a playmaker I guess.

Isn't it funny when T.O. is double teamed that he still makes plays? When a safety is backing off of Moss because he is in on the doubleteam...thats when you run crossing routes and use the speed. Or thats when you run turn and go patterns.

Either the cornerback is pressing Moss and he will get beaten deep..and with the safety playing off there is an opening in the 20-25 yard area.....or the cornerback is giving up ground and those 2 yard passes would be gaining excessive yardage. Since that is inot the case, corners are pressing Moss, so he needs to run those fly pattersn, which is he is NOT.

MOSS is NOT running go patterns, and everybody is defending Gibbs by the same of lame excuse.."well, Moss is being doubleteamed". How can Moss be double teamed and yet I still see 9-10 men within 4 yards of the line of scrimmage getting ready to stop Portis? That is impossible. There aren't enough men to double cover your best receiver and still get 9 men up to stop your run. That would leave nobody to cover Cooley and the other receiver.

The playcalling is inferior on this team and thats just a fact. We are predictable in that way. We fail at the same plays over and over and over and we continue to run the same scheme.

You don't see 9-10 men in the box, that's why it's possible.

We send pretty much three guys on routes. Sometimes four.

What other teams do is double Moss with a safety and a corner, single cover Jacobs and have the other safety and the linebackers look for Cooley and the RB's out of the backfield. Why do you think Cooley gets open so often? He's given a cushion due to the 8 men watching the run.

Poor coaching. Thats what loses as many games as poor playing.

Look at the Lions in Detroit today. Game and a half goes by and Roy Williams hasn't caught a pass. In fact they have thrown his way 1 time.

If you have lots of playmakers, you spread the ball around. If you have ZERO playmakers, you spread the ball around. But if you have only ONE playmaker, you must get the ball to that playmaker or die trying. No one can blame you if you at least TRY to put the ball into your playmakers hands. Steve Mariuchi is a great guy but he is a terrible NFL football strategist. Just horrible.

Isn't this what is wrong with the Redskins sometimes. Gibbs philosophy is to SPREAD the ball around and give everybody a chance. And that is commendable, in pee wee football. But this is the NFL. Moss gets 5 or 6 catches a game and many are 2-3 yard passes. It is inexcusable to not throw 10 passes towards Moss and half of them should be crossing patterns or deep patterns that take advantage of his speed.

It is inexcusable to have a speed receiver with great hands and keep feeding him 2 yard passes or 7 yard buttonhook routes. Inexcusable.

I have no idea why Gibbs only uses Moss on deep routes when the Skins get behind by 2 TD's but it is inexcusable. You don't spread the ball around unless you have LOTS of playmakers. If you have ONE playmaker, then you get the ball to him....or die trying. Perhaps that is why the Lions haven't scored in the first half, and why the Redskins didn't score an offensive touchdown last week.

That's ridiculous. Maybe if Harrington's line would block, he could get a throw to Roy. Maybe if he didn't have 4 well thrown balls dropped in one quater, they could keep a drive alive. Maybe if teams weren't triple teaming Moss every play, we could throw him the ball more. Spreading the ball around makes the defense less able to roll coverages. Moss' dropping production can be directly traced to the lack of production from our 2nd, 3rd and 4th recievers. Somebody in this recieving core has got to step up and take advantage of the consistent single coverage they see playing opposite Moss. Or Gibbs could listen to you and chuck it at Moss every play and pray it doesn't get picked.

Most of Moss's deep catches this year are on come-backs or deep patterns with double moves. A couple of basic fly patterns too.

He's not TO or Randy Moss, he's not jumping over multiple defenders in the red-zone. However, he's impossible to cover in certain routes, liike those listed above.

If the line doesn't block, there isn't enough time for any of those routes, nor is there enough time for Santanna to get off the line if the CB jams him.

No blocking = no passing game

You don't see 9-10 men in the box, that's why it's possible.

We send pretty much three guys on routes. Sometimes four.

What other teams do is double Moss with a safety and a corner, single cover Jacobs and have the other safety and the linebackers look for Cooley and the RB's out of the backfield. Why do you think Cooley gets open so often? He's given a cushion due to the 8 men watching the run.

Try reading correctly. I never said 10 men in the BOX. I said near the LINE OF SCRIMMAGE. There is a difference. A running play can be run up the middle, or to the lft, or to the right...the BOX refers to stuffing the run in the middle, Thats the box.

If you can't find them, come on over to my house and I'll replay the game on TIVO for you. I will clearly show you many plays where the small screen shows the QB barking out signals and clearly evident you can count 9-10 guys as they creep within 4 yards of the line of scrimmage. No cover 2 against the Redskins. Just lots of guys around the line of scrimmage waiting for Portis to get the ball, because they know its either a run or a 4 yard pass.

This is also why the Skins have no yards after the catch. Because after all these short passes, they are being tackled IMMEDIATELY since there are so many guys around the line of scrimmage.

You can deny it, but you are probably one of those people who have denied last year that the Skins need pass rushers just because they finished number 3 in defense. You have to be able to see MORE than stats.

That's ridiculous. Maybe if Harrington's line would block, he could get a throw to Roy. Maybe if he didn't have 4 well thrown balls dropped in one quater, they could keep a drive alive. Maybe if teams weren't triple teaming Moss every play, we could throw him the ball more. Spreading the ball around makes the defense less able to roll coverages. Moss' dropping production can be directly traced to the lack of production from our 2nd, 3rd and 4th recievers. Somebody in this recieving core has got to step up and take advantage of the consistent single coverage they see playing opposite Moss. Or Gibbs could listen to you and chuck it at Moss every play and pray it doesn't get picked.

So let me get this straight. NOT throwing to Santana Moss is because other guys aren't as talented?

Man..... are you lost.

Try reading correctly. I never said 10 men in the BOX. I said near the LINE OF SCRIMMAGE. There is a difference. A running play can be run up the middle, or to the lft, or to the right...the BOX refers to stuffing the run in the middle, Thats the box.

If you can't find them, come on over to my house and I'll replay the game on TIVO for you. I will clearly show you many plays where the small screen shows the QB barking out signals and clearly evident you can count 9-10 guys as they creep within 4 yards of the line of scrimmage. No cover 2 against the Redskins. Just lots of guys around the line of scrimmage waiting for Portis to get the ball, because they know its either a run or a 4 yard pass.

This is also why the Skins have no yards after the catch. Because after all these short passes, they are being tackled IMMEDIATELY since there are so many guys around the line of scrimmage.

You can deny it, but you are probably one of those people who have denied last year that the Skins need pass rushers just because they finished number 3 in defense. You have to be able to see MORE than stats.

uh i have tivo and i was at the game. moss was doubled covered and brunnel had no timee on mosses double moves. at the same time jacobs was ineffective. he came of the line in slowmo. i would not be supprised if farris is the number 2 reciever this week.

now back to moss, i was there in person and watched moss get doubled covered. the reason we lost was 2 reasons. one turnovers. next was because gibbs got scared in the second half. portis had 70 yards rushing in the first half and we have a 6 point lead and portis carried the ball 5 times in the second half. now remebr the second portis fumble that probly cost us the game. that play was setup by a pi call on a long play to moss in one of the few times he was not doubled covered. turnovers turnover tunrovers. thats what is killing us. -13 in take aye give aways kills you. we are a smash motuh team not a spread offense so we can not have turnovers and need to control the clock. and if u think moss was not doubled ur blind. next brunell ahd no time another problem that leads into the loss. look at the games brunell has been great in. he has all day in the pocket. with the line we have they need to be consitent. we need to give brunell time to get the ball to moss on the double move. now what ur tivo won;t show is whats happenong away from the ball. moss made some nice moves and was getting open, by than brunell was under pressure and had to dump it off.

the problem in our losses are more complicated than not throwing deep crazy passes to moss. it starts with running the ball to blocking to turnovers. if u have a breakdown in any of those areas u will not be productive on offense no matter what play u call our who's on the fiELD. PERIOD.

the problem in our losses are more complicated than not throwing deep crazy passes to moss. it starts with running the ball to blocking to turnovers. if u have a breakdown in any of those areas u will not be productive on offense no matter what play u call our who's on the fiELD. PERIOD.

__________________my thoughts exactly.this team just needs more work done to it to fine tune it into a winning group.but it's only year 2 for this coaching staff.if our problems persist beyond 2007 then we can genuinly start to complain about coaching,player personnel,play calling,ect.we just need a little more patience.for a minute there it looked like we could do something good this year and now those visions are passing quickly.maybe we could look for linemen,both O and D,and recievers next year instead of another linebacker.

The funny thing is you are all right. We need to block. We need to create turnovers. We need to get the ball in Santana's hands. We need to get Portis outside the tackles. We need to adjust at the line of scrimmage when they do bring 8-9 up. We need to throw to Portis. We need to pressure, and maybe sack, the QB. We need to step up and play with all of our capabilities. WE NEED TO WIN!!! GO SKINS!!!

First off, I'm not one of those people that denied anything, but nice try.

Secondly, the box refers to the space between the offensive tackles. I know, thanks.

My point still stands.

Thank you! I've been saying it for the past 7 games. 3 of our 5 losses were due to turnovers. One of our losses (Denver) was due to two VERY lucky running plays (in which we dominated most of the game). The final loss was a blowout (Giants).

This team could very easily be 8-2 right now. Why people don't realize that turnovers has been our problem is besides me. Instead, people try to search for a reason that they can attribute our losses to: no pass rush, poor blocking, bad calls be the Refs, poor coaching, etc. Yes, SOME of these are issues that need to be addressed. However, it is not THEE problem. Nor has it cost us ANY games. If you take away the turnovers...all of a sudden...these issues are NOT issues...they are W's.

Turnovers are not something that you can coach or teach or even prevent. What you can do is coach or teach to TRY and prevent. Unfortunately, the turnovers have just gone the other way.

We HAVE been in a slump as of late. However, if you think about it...this is THEE perfect time to be in a slump. Much better than the beginning or end of a season. We are setting ourselves up to make a run down the stretch...whereas other teams in our division are setting themselves up for a slump at excactly the WRONG time...during the push for the playoffs. What is everyone gonna say when the Giants lose on Sunday..and we are only one game out?

Gibbs notoriously finishes strong. And, I believe he will continue to do so starting this Sunday. I understand that people are frustrated by more than a decade of losing. But they really need to snap out of their "give me everything right now" mentality. This isn't Mickey D's. This is football. Be patient...

Boy, you'd think there was a national election this year or something in here!

Maybe instead of all the negativity and armchair QB'ing, we just trust the coachs and players to do their jobs. Like KDAWG and OM have said: its about turnovers and a non-existent pass rush. I know Coach is working on the 1st one, he's making players sleep with balls and take them grocery shopping with them and stuff. Hopefully the 2nd is being looked at right now for next years draft.

:point2sky

Archived