Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

salt vs. sugar

MissU28

Should there be "Family" sections at Fed Ex  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be "Family" sections at Fed Ex

• Yes. We need "Family" sections at Fed Ex.
    • No. We don't need "Family" sections.

Which is the lesser of the two evils, salt or sugar? If someone could only restrict or eat less of ONE of the two, which one should they omit from their diet? Which would have the greatest impact?

I know it may be different because some people have different problems...

i.e. people with high blood pressure should eat less sodium and people with diabetes in their family should eat less sugar.

But...let's say you're a healthy individual and have no hereditary issues either way. Which is the lesser of the two evils?

You're on a health kick, aren't you? :)

Salt is less of a problem for someone of your age and gender, assuming that you have relatively normal blood pressure.

I actually have really low blood pressure...I have more of a sweet tooth.

I was just curious, I was wondering about this today. I'm trying to eat less sugar, because it just makes me so fatigued all the time. I read that reducing your sugar intake will keep you more alert...so that's what I"m going for. I come home exhausted every day....today I took a 2 hour nap and I only taught a half day of school... we'll see if this works

I used to have a Coke at lunchtime, and I was wrecked by the afternoon. I would come home and take naps too. Then I started drinking water at lunchtime and cutting out all dessert-type items at lunch and snacktime (and eating breakfast), and i'm energetic enough for an hour of boxing and an hour of badminton or soccer after work.

I used to have a Coke at lunchtime, and I was wrecked by the afternoon. I would come home and take naps too. Then I started drinking water at lunchtime and cutting out all dessert-type items at lunch and snacktime (and eating breakfast), and i'm energetic enough for an hour of boxing and an hour of badminton or soccer after work.

well I don't drink "real" sodas so I'm good there...but yeah, the teacher's lounge is my enemy...one of the copiers is in there but there are also lots of goodies in there all the time....and then my kids have birthdays and kids in OTHER classes have birthdays and bring me cupcakes and all this sugar-laden stuff that's just soooo good.... but I'm cuttin down on sugar. I'm sick of being tired all the time.

Salt isn't so bad for women, especially since you all lose so much sodium (I think... ?) when you menstruate. It might actually be better for women than men in that scenario. Not 100% sure. I'm neither a Doctor, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express. Just drink plenty of water and you shouldn't have problems with water retention.

Sugar is almost always bad for you, especially in large doses. Whatever doesn't get burned off almost always turns to fat, it slows your metabolism and causes you to not burn fat as efficiently.

The problem is sugar give you the burst of energy, but it doesn't last because your body digests it too fast. A complex carb will give you the energy over a longer period of time.

Apples are almost all complex carb. Peanut butter is also a very good complex carb with protine. Apple slices with peanut butter is a great high energy snack that you wont crash from a half hour after you eat them. It also fits into many diet plans :)

The problem is sugar give you the burst of energy, but it doesn't last because your body digests it too fast. A complex carb will give you the energy over a longer period of time.

Apples are almost all complex carb. Peanut butter is also a very good complex carb with protine. Apple slices with peanut butter is a great high energy snack that you wont crash from a half hour after you eat them. It also fits into many diet plans :)

i'm allergic to apples :(

i'm allergic to apples :(

Bummer...........

Go to prevention.com They have all sorts of good info. I have such a bad sweet tooth, it's gotten me into trouble. Overweight, and very high tryglicerides. I've been doing a bunch of reading, and will start a diet next week. Just not sure which one yet. Doctor is PO'd at me, and isn't lettin me slide on this one.

Gotta quit smokin too. With the lack of food and smoke, I may go nuckin futs:laugh:

I use a little salt in cooking for flavoring. Really don't eat much sweets, except for chocolate cakes, cheesecakes, pies, etc. :D

Highly recommend using Splenda vs. sugar if you have a sweet tooth.

Diabetes and heart disease runs in my family. (something has to kill you)

So, watch my salt and sugar intakes as a precaution.

OK, here's a quick test for you. Which has more sugar:

1. A chocolate bar or a container of fruit flavored yogurt?

2. 2 chocolate bars or a pint of Orange Juice?

A Yogurt typically has about 30 to 35 grams of sugar. A chocolate bar has about 20.

Orange Juice has 28g of sugar per 8oz (and I'm talking about the pure stuff, not the made from concentrate crap which has added sugar), so a pint (16oz) has 56oz. 2 chocolate bars, only 40.

Moral of the story: Don't believe the crap about certain foods being good for you. Granola, yogurt, juice, and most "diet" bars are loaded with sugar. Eat fruits instead of juice. Read labels. Never eat anything where one of the ingredients includes the word "partially hydrogenated."

Archived