Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Would Portis be a good trade for.....

Redskins4ever

I think Bush is going to be a stud, but you are going to need the #1 overall pick to get him. Clinton Portis alone is not worth the #1 overall pick. You would need to package Clinton, a #1 this year, maybe a #1 next year and another lower pick or two. And we don't have any picks to package

Secondly, the cap hit would be killer.

Thirdly, I don't see where running Reggie Bush into the line like John Riggins is any better than running Clinton Portis into the line like John Riggins.

Fourth, why did I spend this much time on this issue?

Well, to me these 2004-2005 Joe Gibbs squads are the most imcompetent bunch that he's ever coached here. Even the squad that went 7-9 in 1988(Gibb's only losing season prior to his return) was better than these players playing for him now.

The point is we are not getting beat. We are beating ourselves with turnovers. We should be 8-1. Three games have gotten away because this. The only game we really lost was the Giants game.

you mean 8-2 or 9-1 right?

anyway we are beating ourselves, but these are things that will get fixed. Give it time, it may take a few years, but we will get there. This team has improved significantly over the past year, and has the potential to be a great team. Once these turnovers, and penalties are fixed, and we finally have a draft where we get a DE that can present a pass rush, we will be a good team. Give it time.

Portis is a straight beast but Bush is a god. I'd KILL to have Bush on the Skins. He is going to be a terror for the next decade +.

However, Portis is good. Very good. I know he fumbled a couple times yesterday. **** happens. He hadn't fumbled all year, what can you do?

People say Portis is this or that but do you really want to go back to the days of Ladell Betts and Trung Candidate?

Portis is overpaid, yes. Not his fault. He never asked for that kind of $. He wanted to get paid, but he probably would have settled for less. Blame that on the FO.

Portis is a great player on an offense that is up and down right now.

Is Portis John Riggins? No. But he is still Clinton Portis, a hell of a football player.

You're surprised at threads like this?

Redskins loss = people turn into (not smart people)

These are speculation threads or fantasy draft pick notions that people have the right to post if they want for the sake of discussion. I haven't posted here much this season so I'm not familiar with all of the other threads about trading players.

I'm not mad at Clinton. I was just saying. Reggie Bush would be a hell of a weapon on offense. Gibbs had to resort to zone blocking tactics to compliment Portis because Portis is not tailor made for Gibbs's type of offense. Portis is good. I give him that but if we have a slash runner, why not get Bush and have a bulldozing RB like Riggs/Rogers/Riggins? That's all I'm saying.

And another thing. They talk about feeding the ball to him less and giving Betts 15 carries? Not meaning to sound too critical but if he's making 50 million bucks over eight years than he needs to get the ball fed to him 30-35 times the whole game. If he can not do this, then he's overpaid.

Look at clinton portis stats before you say stuff like this...Please...:doh:

Guy, I know what Portis stats appear as. He's a good back. But Bush is going to be far better. When Gibbs was sucessful before, he had bruising running backs carrying the offense while the slash runners caught crucial passes from out of the backfield. That's why I believe Reggie Bush would be great for the team.

Could you imagine Tony Dorsett running in Gibbs's offense? Well, that's what Portis looks like. Defenses feared Rogers, Riggins, and Riggs. Defenses don't seem to give Portis the same respect, do they?

are you smoking something or what? the running back situation is not the teams problem. Yeah clinton had 2 fumbles but that is not his norm. We need to put Ramsey back in and get 2 speed rushers for the defense next year. as long as mark is in there i doubt we will win another game!

I'm not disscussing next year. Next year will take care of itself. I'm talking about '05. And for you to suggest to place Ramsey at QB again after he's proven to be worthless in the four seasons he's been here indicates that you are smoking something. Ramsey has never reached an 80. rating which to me proves he's not that good.

So you think that Reggie Bush can run without zone blocking? Seen him run anybody over? Seems to me that he's in the same mold of a guy we already have who is proven in the NFL. I'll stick with Portis. OL and DL, back to the trenches is where we're losing games. That and Marshall covering wideouts on deep patters.

So you think that Reggie Bush can run without zone blocking? Seen him run anybody over? Seems to me that he's in the same mold of a guy we already have who is proven in the NFL. I'll stick with Portis. OL and DL, back to the trenches is where we're losing games. That and Marshall covering wideouts on deep patters.

People are still not understanding what I am saying. It would be better if Gibbs did things like he did before. Have a slash halfback like Joe Washington was(that would be Reggie Bush) and have a bruiser like the big backs he's had here in the past.

A big back could fit into Gibbs's so-called outsdated offense and he wouldn't have to change a thing.

We got Portis, we have to stick with him. He is a talented back, and easily above average in that right. His ballance is starting to get better, I see his patience, and he is improving. I just miss his home run ability, which he really hasnt done since the season opener last season.(and with denver) I like CP alot, great attitude, plays thru injuries, good blocker for a smallish RB. With all of that said, there were other backs I would have rather had for this system/O that Gibbs runs. back b4 the trade happened. But I'm glad CP is a skin anyway.

I'd like to see Portis come out for his interview this week 1 of 2 ways:

He either comes out dressed in a nice suit and answers questions respectfully and with cautious optimism...

or

He comes out dressed as Clinton Portis w/ two balls duct taped to his hands so he does not forget to hold onto the ball.

If he comes out in some new and wild get up blaming others for his poor ability to hold onto the ball - I'll be pissed.

There is a time for fun and games. If I was Edgerrin James - I'd be freakin hilarious right about now. I'd have such a good time, I couldn't stand it.

At my work, if we are losing $50K a month and at the sales meetings I tell jokes and don't address the fact that we are on a downward spiral that would make the whirlpool in the "Land of the Lost" intro look like a 1.6 gpf toilet flush - I'd think I would have a problem....but then again - that is the real world. Ahh to be an NFL player......

sleestak1.jpg

First of all why would someone trade the #1 pick for Portis. Portis wasnt even a 1st rounder. I like Portis but with Vince Young, Lienart or Bush on the board, no one would make that trade. Shoot, u still got Shaun Alexander as a free agent.

I think the Skins are fine a rb. What they need is a Pash Rush DE. THIS IS PRIORITY!!!!!

How good would we be with someone with 6 or 7 sacks right now. Lets not give up on the season yet. Dallas and NY have tough schedules. 9 wins could do it.

This is an outstanding idea. Reggie Bush surely will NEVER fumble in the pros, and will always have 100+ yards rushing. Hell, lets give him the benefit of the doubt, 150+, 2 TDs every game. Portis IS a tortoise. He blows.

I sense sarcasm in your post. What you seem to be missing is that some players are just so much more superior than other players that they must be played.

Take Tyler Jenkins for instance. The man is uncoverable. Rumor has it he runs a 3.6 40 yard dash. He runs routes so precise that imperfections are unable to be discerned by the naked eye. You would need a Photoaccutrometer from MIT to critique him. Have I mentioned he's fast fast?

Oh sure, the Raiders happened to have one rookie that was able to cover him because his father was an experimental half cheetah/half man and his mother an experimental half antelope/half woman.

...but how often is that going to happen?

I'd like to see Portis come out for his interview this week 1 of 2 ways:

He either comes out dressed in a nice suit and answers questions respectfully and with cautious optimism...

or

He comes out dressed as Clinton Portis w/ two balls duct taped to his hands so he does not forget to hold onto the ball.

If he comes out in some new and wild get up blaming others for his poor ability to hold onto the ball - I'll be pissed.

There is a time for fun and games. If I was Edgerrin James - I'd be freakin hilarious right about now. I'd have such a good time, I couldn't stand it.

At my work, if we are losing $50K a month and at the sales meetings I tell jokes and don't address the fact that we are on a downward spiral that would make the whirlpool in the "Land of the Lost" intro look like a 1.6 gpf toilet flush - I'd think I would have a problem....but then again - that is the real world. Ahh to be an NFL player......

sleestak1.jpg

A little uptight grumpy?

70 yards in the first half and only finished with 90? Theres something wrong there.

What the hell is wrong with Jacobs holding on the portis run for 30 yards??? It was something of a ticky tac call but damn man, you are right in front of everyone, you can't get caught holding in the open field.

That's a perfect illustration to what I wanted to say. Portis is fine, he's a reason we're even at .500. 70 yds in a half is a ton. We started to air it out more in the second half, so he only came up with 30 in the second half. So he fumbled 2x yesterday, yes it cost us, but everyone fumbles. He has 3 fumbles on the year, so do Warrick Dunn and Steven Jackson. Alexander, Larry Johnson, LT, and Rudi Johnson all have 2. Is there that much a difference between Portis and all the other top backs?

I personally feel like the play calling hurt us worse than the fumbles. We had many opportunities to keep a drive alive only to end it with poor 3rd down calls. Example: 3rd & 7 and we try(for the third time) another fly route to T Jacobs. If santana moss Fumbles are we going to have threads talking about getting rid of him?????

Archived