Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Your Weekly Redskin Bashing by Len P

Dirk Diggler

Still desperate to upgrade their deplorable guard situation, the Washington Redskins recently considered phoning the Oakland Raiders about a potential trade for Mo Collins. But the former first-round draft choice (1998) has moved into the starting lineup with the retirement of Steve Wisniewski, is playing well, and some Redskins staffers who worked with Collins at the University of Florida weren't particularly sold on him. Chicago is not likely to deal backup guard Mike Gandy, a player they like, and one who the Redskins requested in the failed trade talks involving then-unsigned quarterback Patrick Ramsey.

So the Redskins are considering a lot of options for upgrading a position whose ineptitude makes it nearly impossible for Washington to establish the running game and tailback Stephen Davis. The Raiders, always loaded on the line, might be inclined to trade Matt Stinchcomb, Brad Badger or Tom Ackerman, all of whom would start for the Skins. The Washington line will really be in trouble if left tackle Chris Samuels doesn't return from a high ankle sprain in time for the regular-season opener. Journeyman Rod Jones, overweight and seemingly always on the ground, is the band-aid at left tackle. But he has proven incapable of playing the blindside position in the past and isn't apt to improve over the next month. Washington officials have spoken to the representatives of aging free agents like Ray Brown and Glenn Parker and will monitor the status of Carolina veteran Kevin Donnalley, who is currently working with the Panthers' second unit.

The Washington line will really be in trouble if left tackle Chris Samuels doesn't return from a high ankle sprain in time for the regular-season opener.

I thought the word was, Samuels ankle sprain wasn't all that bad. I thought he was going to be back in a couple of weeks. :rolleyes:

Jabba wrote this when we signed Jones:

"Although he has primarily been a tackle most of his career, Jones will start at guard for the Skins, the spot some pro personnel directors have insisted for years might be his best position. He will also provide Washington a proven veteran backup to its tandem of standout young tackles, Chris Samuels and Jon Jansen, as well as overall leadership.

His in-line blocking strength should project well to guard."

He's FULL of it!! Samuels ankle-spain was not a HIGH ankle sprain as Len tried to spin it. No other report has stated that and you can even see in the game tape that it wasn't rolled that way. He's only saying that because he knows that a high ankle sprain can be harder to come back from. That's what he's hoping for because fat b@stard always hopes for the worst with the 'Skins. "Oops...I just faarhted.!"

Originally posted by GoSkins

I thought the word was, Samuels ankle sprain wasn't all that bad. I thought he was going to be back in a couple of weeks. :rolleyes:

Its a high ankle sprain and those can be very problematic. Sometimesyou're ok in a week other times it takes months. It will likely be a lingering ailment all season and he won't really be fully recovered until he can stay off it for a month or so-- next off season.

Originally posted by BallCoachSpurrier

Its a high ankle sprain and those can be very problematic. Sometimesyou're ok in a week other times it takes months. It will likely be a lingering ailment all season and he won't really be fully recovered until he can stay off it for a month or so-- next off season.

Could you provide a source? I've not seen one report in any publication that describes Samuels injury as a "high ankle sprain".

there are teams in the NFL that don't have capable running backs or receivers or a defense that can stop anybody, and yet the REDSKINS are going down the tubes completely because they don't have a pro bowl guard? :)

while I am irritated the Skins didn't move more quickly after the draft to sign a LG, I am sure the team as recent reports have shown is not going to allow the situation to fester into the regular season.

so, in that regard I think this is a tempest in a teapot.

there have been so many areas of this team from middle linebacker to defensive tackle to defensive end to wide receiver where this team has improved from last season.

and to ignore all that and harp on the need to find a guard is just ridiculous :mad:

Archived