Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

LaVar Arrington - Position Change?

wildredskins

I want to get opinions on an idea that I had. I'm no coach but I think LaVar would do some serious damage to QB's if he played in one of the DE spots. He is so fast I don't think an OL would be able to handle a swim-move from him. What do you think about the idea? Whether you like it or not talk about how you think he would do as a DE.

:dallasuck

The guy plays well in space. I would not want to see him get used solely at DE as getting pounded on by bigger offensive lineman for a whole game will take its toll and is not using him to his fullest potential. Lining him up 3 point stance on the line every once in awhile is a good idea to keep the offense off guard and take advantage of his pass rushing skills, but 100% of the time?.....no.

He would be completely ineffective in my opinion. For one, as an every down DE he would run his self out of containment on an isolation play. 2nd, he is such a great read and react player that it wouldnt make a whole lot of sense to have him piddy paddle with a tackle. He proved he cant bull rush a lineman but what he can do better then anyone is see a play develop and get to the ball carrier. The pass rush is the problem, but playing LA at DE is not the solution. I personally think we should just drop back into coverage and not blitz so much.

I agree with not using him 100% of the time as a DE. I would use him on the long-side of the field during possible run plays. That would give him the option of run stopping or going for a sack. Plus I don't think a linemen could stop him without holding. It could draw a lot of holding calls and confuse the heck out of the offense.

I've never seen LaVar use the swim move technique. If he did, he would have had more sacks. I've only seen him use his speed or a bull rush. Also, an End has to stay home a lot to try and force runners inside.

But I think he is more valuable as a linebacker because he can cover a lot a ground in a short amount of time, and that's a talent that Ends don't have.

Lavar is better suited as a blitzer from the weakside. He does very well reading blocks and gaps, and has the ability to sidestep the blocks coming at him and get to the ball carrier.

Definitely nice to have him back on the field, but putting him as a full time rush end would be a big mistake.

Lavar doesn't seem to have any moves when he plays end. He either gets around the tackle with speed or is swallowed up by the tackle. Haven't seen him do swim moves spins take a hard inside or anything like that.

I think he would almost have to learn the position. If we had an end they had to double team then our LB blitzes would be crazy.

Lavar relies on his speed to penetrate the backfield, i dont see him running over any O-Lineman, i say we keep him out of the 3 point stance where he's strongest. Not only that but he is WAY to strong when he's playing pursuit, i dont want to see him playing contain, that would be going against his physical strengths.

255 lbs. vs. 315 lbs. for 50-60 plays a game, that's not the kind of matchup Washington needs that many plays. While he could get 10 sacks a year as a DE he would also be a serious liability against the run, not to mention his back up would then be a starter, Holdman. Teams would run right at LA and Holdman until the cows come home. Remember what teams did against Daniels and Holdman and Daniels is supposed to be a stud in run support.

:dallasuck :eaglesuck :gaintsuck

He's been facing injury problems for two years. I don't see how having him come out of a three-point stance against some 320 pound monster all day is going to keep him healthy and effective. I would think after a month, he would be one big bruise.

Lavar can be effective as a DE but probably for no more than 10 plays a game.

What I don't understand is why is he is not out there on every third down.

Archived