Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Partisan Clash, Senate Closed Session, Right Now!

visionary

What the heck is going on at the Senate...the Democrats called for a closed session and the Republicans are blasting them to the media right now, it looks really bad out there.

They just showed the press briefing from Frist and others on MSNBC

The Republicans look absolutely pissed off.

Oh yeah and Frist says he will never again trust Harry Reid.

wow....this is getting really nasty.

The Democrats wanted a debate over the war from Fitzgaerald's work, but not getting one they seem to be taking things into their own hands, and the Republicans look like they were caught completely off guard.

Now they may be trying to sweep it under the rug a bit or just have other business to deal with now, but this is something that has not been down in 25 years and I do not like this closed session crap at all.

Watch tv...that is all I can say. They are all over it on CNN and MSNBC right now.

I would have provided a link if I had found one though.

The Senate has been shut down for the time being and we will never know for sure what is really being said in there.

I'm not sure if it is ok to make it illegal or unconstitutional or not, but I don't think this is an appropriate use of this measure.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,174187,00.html

Senate Goes Into Rare Closed Session

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

By Sharon Kehnemui Liss

WASHINGTON — The U.S. Senate prepared to go into closed session Tuesday after Democrats enacted a rare parliamentary rule forcing the shut down of the Senate so senators could speak in a classified session about the lead-up to the war in Iraq.

Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid (search) demanded the chamber be closed so they could hold a secret session that they say was prompted by "misinformation and disinformation" given by President Bush and his administration prior to entry into the war in Iraq.

In calling for the closed session, Reid of Nevada added that the decision was also prompted by the recent indictment of I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby (search), Vice President Dick Cheney's former chief of staff, on five counts of perjury, obstruction of justice and making false statements in the investigation into the leak of a CIA operative's identity.

"The Libby indictment provides a window into what this is really about: how the administration manufactured and manipulated intelligence in order to sell the war in Iraq and attempted to destroy those who dared to challenge its actions," Reid said. "As a result of its improper conduct, a cloud now hangs over this administration."

Libby was not indicted for revealing operative Valerie Plame Wilson's (search) name, but for not being forthcoming about where he learned her name and whom he told. The investigation is ongoing, however, Special Prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald told reporters last week.

Republicans, who were clearly caught off-guard by the maneuver, called the move "gutter" politics. Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist (search) of Tennessee said the chamber was "hijacked" by Democrats.

"Once again, it shows the Democrats use scare tactics. They have no conviction. They have no principles. They have no ideas," Frist said. "But this is the ultimate. Since I've been majority leader, I'll have to say, not with the previous Democratic leader or the current Democratic leader have ever I been slapped in the face with such an affront to the leadership of this grand institution."

Senate Select Committee on Intelligence Ranking Democrat Jay Rockefeller said Democrats were promised by committee chairman Pat Roberts that oversight would be conducted on the war, but nothing has been done yet.

Durbin said Democrats want to discuss launching "phase two" of a committee investigation into whether Bush and the administration misused data to justify war in Iraq.

"The purpose of this closed session in the Senate chamber is to finally give the truth to at least the members of the Senate, to finally call to task the chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee," said House Minority Whip Dick Durbin of Illinois.

A closed session is called when any senator demands one and a second motion is made. No vote is taken on whether to close the session. The last time a closed session was held was 25 years ago, Rockefeller said.

Republican Sen. Trent Lott, the former majority leader, said that the rule had been invoked two or three times under his tenure as majority leader, but only after a pre-arranged, negotiated discussion.

"This is not the way it has been done," Lott said. "We would never surprise each other ... This is very unfortunate for the Senate. It's not to say there isn't important information to be discussed ... but I'm astounded by this."

During a closed session, the chamber is shut to cameras, a security sweep is performed, and then Reid introduces a resolution calling for the launch of "phase two" of the intelligence committee's investigation.

"It is within the power of the majority to close down the closed session. They can do it by majority vote to return to the legislative calendar," Durbin said. "We're serving notice on them at this moment: be prepared for this motion every day until you face the reality. The Senate Intelligence Committee has a responsibility."

Ok what I don't get is why the Republicans voted to go along with this?

Then again, I guess there was no chance of getting anything done otherwise, since the Democrats probably would have found some other way to hold everything up until they got their discussion

Or maybe the Republicans are just being over generous here...I don't know....

Typical Left.... use any means possible to obstruct....continue to have no vision, ideas, leadership, or agenda.

All I can say is... keep it up... because people in this country have realized how little the Left has to offer and they will continue to ignore their childish games and lack of ideas and continue to vote their counterparts.

Typical Left.... use any means possible to obstruct....continue to have no vision, ideas, leadership, or agenda.

All I can say is... keep it up... because people in this country have realized how little the Left has to offer and they will continue to ignore their childish games and lack of ideas and continue to vote their counterparts.

:doh:

They're doing this so as not to drag all the dirty laundry the right has into public. Be glad that all your side's bull**** isn't going to be out in the open.

Durbin said Democrats want to discuss launching "phase two" of a committee investigation into whether Bush and the administration misused data to justify war in Iraq.

Turbin Durbin completely ignoring the findings, intelligence, and statements about Hussein's threat to the world made by Clinton, Kerry, Edwards, the UN, France, Britian, the Russians, and countless other entities who believed in the late 90's that Hussein had circumvented the Oil for Food program and was, in secret, reconstituting his weapons programs. ALL OF THESE PEOPLE CONSIDERED HIM A THREAT.... all of them said so publicly.... yet the Left ignores it and instead focuses solely on Bush's thoughts on the lead up to the war. :doh:

The Liberal Left.... the enemy within.

The Administration briefed the Senate behind closed doors regarding the WMD threat in Iraq, as a lead up to a vote to give Bush the authority to invade. There is growing evidence that the briefs were distortions designed to get approval and war.

There are 2,000 dead, and over 20,000 maimed American soldiers. If the democratic process was manipulated through deliberate deception then the truth needs to be heard.

I have to agree that the one benefit of this session is that it makes it harder to pander while this is going on and kind of embarass the nation to the scumminess of their Senators, but it gives them all plenty of oportunity to whine like babies on both sides and completely make up their own version of what happened without any of us ever knowing the truth, afterward.

Not much of a benefit really, actually.

Turbin Durbin completely ignoring the findings, intelligence, and statements about Hussein's threat to the world made by Clinton, Kerry, Edwards, the UN, France, Britian, the Russians, and countless other entities who believed in the late 90's that Hussein had circumvented the Oil for Food program and was, in secret, reconstituting his weapons programs. ALL OF THESE PEOPLE CONSIDERED HIM A THREAT.... all of them said so publicly.... yet the Left ignores it and instead focuses solely on Bush's thoughts on the lead up to the war. :doh:

The Liberal Left.... the enemy within.

well they wanted the weapons inspection process to go forth, which proved their was no threat after all.

-Grant

No I'm not. The Senate is still going to go on. It'll just be behind closed doors.

Heh, except again you are wrong. They have said as much on CNN and MSNBC repeatedly now. If you disagree you may want to go have a talk with Wolf Blitzer and every other person on tv right now, since they are all disagreeing with you.

Archived