Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Antonio Pierce on John Thompson Show

andavy

He was just on. Gave respect. He said they (Giants D) have been giving up a ton of third downs and that is their biggest problem right now. Hmmmm....haven't we been converting a ton of third downs? Giants fans just dont seem to take any of this into account.

:gaintsuck :gaintsuck :gaintsuck

Hey guys AP's interview just ended and he was pretty candid about the situation in DC. All he wanted according to him was around $3-$4 million signing bonus and the skins said no. But at that point, and maybe even today, I think we still need an experienced and knowlegeable President of players and personnel for contract negotiations. Vinny aint it!

AP also gave a good explanation about the Lavarr situation of which as a witness Lavarr was never a slacker during practice, pre-season or game time. He said Lavarr went full speed all the time. A true professional. But he also said Coach Williams is a perfectionest and if you miss any assignment or simple tackle, and of greater concern OTAs, practice, etc. your on his bad list!

Hey guys AP's interview just ended and he was pretty candid about the situation in DC. All he wanted according to him was around $3-$4 million signing bonus and the skins said no.

Thinking about it, I can kinda understand why AP would be upset about his negotiations with the Skins. The guy busted his ass for a year, lead the team in tackles, was praised like no tomorrow by just about everyone inside and outside of the orginization, called a "core Redskins", etc.. And then the 'Skins initial offer is something WAY below that of what his fellow LBs on the team are making.

Just think about it as if it's something that happened to you on YOUR job, granted that you know what your peers are making, and it makes a whole lot more sense.

Thinking about it, I can kinda understand why AP would be upset about his negotiations with the Skins. The guy busted his ass for a year, lead the team in tackles, was praised like no tomorrow by just about everyone inside and outside of the orginization, called a "core Redskins", etc.. And then the 'Skins initial offer is something WAY below that of what his fellow LBs on the team are making.

Just think about it as if it's something that happened to you on YOUR job, granted that you know what your peers are making, and it makes a whole lot more sense.

Yup, he does have a right to feel 'low balled' [very relative term:D ] ... but in a profession where an injury can quickly reduce one to bagging groceries, the only cheese that is guaranteed is the signing bonus. The Giants gave the brother $6.5mill... vs about 3 or 4 mill offered by the skins. He asked the skins to match the signing bonus but we refused. On the flip side, I guess one can say that the $2mill or so saved was used to pick up Patten and another jorneyman contributor. At the end of the day, our defense is still ranked 4th best with lots of room to improve (considering the lavar factor). Hence, at the end of the day, you can't argue with the skins business decision not to 'burst the bank' on AP and go with the leftovers from last year's #3 defense. AP has every right to feel like we could have found the extra 2 mill but it's the dawn of a new day - welcome to the Joe Gibs era. It's not personal. It's business (the aprentice slogan).

Antonio has really helped that Giants Defense. Instead of being ranked 32nd, they're 31st. :laugh:

To his credit, he leads his team in tackles. Unfortunately, that's probably because he's spending so much time on the field. His replacement on the Skins, Lemar Marshall, has 2 sacks to Antonio's 1/2.

Agreed. If Barrow was healthy you'd still be seeing him sitting on someone's bench with his league minimum salary. GW plugged him in and it worked. GW Plugged Lemar Marshall in and it's working

Bingo! Pierce was beaten out fair & square by Barrow. He was a backup who flourish playing next a probowler (sometimes sandwiched inbetween probowlers). The smart move was to not outbid the world for him. That being said I will give Pierce this, he was a good bit better than Lamar Marshal (but not a better value).

AP sounded like a really sharp dude. Very candid and a genuine good guy. I think there was a disconnect on the SB and salary he wanted to stay, I'm guessing his agent didn't help and wanted to go for the money. For our part, we already have a ton of mony invested in linebackers. After listening to him today though, I'm really sorry we let hem get away.

AP also gave a good explanation about the Lavarr situation of which as a witness Lavarr was never a slacker during practice, pre-season or game time. He said Lavarr went full speed all the time. A true professional. But he also said Coach Williams is a perfectionest and if you miss any assignment or simple tackle, and of greater concern OTAs, practice, etc. your on his bad list!

Didn't hear it but that all makes sense. No one has ever accused LA of loafing. It's the mental aspect of the game that he's always struggled with. Going 100% all the time is wonderful and no defender could ever be great without that quality - but if you are going all out in the wrong direction - you just end up out of the play sooner. Not to mention compromising the defense.

Didn't hear it but that all makes sense. No one has ever accused LA of loafing. It's the mental aspect of the game that he's always struggled with.

Lavar already said that he pushed himself a little harder in practice last week. I don't remember the exact quote, but he also said something to the effect of had he known he needed to push himself harder in practice, he would have done it earlier. Which sounded like complete, utter nonsense to me. But that's neither here nor there. Hopefully he is officially aware now, and will get his butt on the field and start punishing people where he belongs!

Archived