Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: D.C. Seizes 16 Owners' Property for Stadium

pez

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/25/AR2005102501354.html

D.C. Seizes 16 Owners' Property for Stadium

As Negotiations With City Continue, Tenants Given Three Months to Vacate Land in Southeast

By David Nakamura

Washington Post Staff Writer

Wednesday, October 26, 2005; B01

The District government filed court papers yesterday to seize $84 million worth of property from 16 owners in Southeast, giving them 90 days to leave and make way for a baseball stadium....

(edited by staff - please refer to new guidelines related to posting of articles from other websites)

Not a big fan of immenent domain as it takes what is essential for liberty.

Your property if not for something that is essential for everyone should NEVER be used.

There are lots of spots to put the Stadium and they are still haggling with the league officials....

Not a big fan of immenent domain as it takes what is essential for liberty.

Your property if not for something that is essential for everyone should NEVER be used.

There are lots of spots to put the Stadium and they are still haggling with the league officials....

It's EMINENT domain, but seeing as how these people only have 20 days to challenge it, it's probably imminent as well...

A standard of "essential for everyone" would prevent roads from being built, since some people walk to work, and not everyone uses every road. The standard is "public purpose" and the question is whether we want voters to decide or judges to decide ... the Supreme Court sided with voters.

And I'm not sure there are "lots of spots" to put the Stadium - DC doesn't exactly have huge tracts of open land ... I think you'd have a very hard time finding a stadium-sized lot where everyone was willing to give up their property.

I THINK ITS WRONG FOR THE GOV TO DO THIS. THERE ARE A LOT OF PPL THAT LIVE BY THE SPOT WHERE THEY WANT TO HAVE THE BASEBALL STADIUM AND THEY ARE GOING TO MAKE THEM LEAVE TOO. I HAVE FAMILY THAT HAS Property by the spot and they are going to try to take it. They have been there longer than anyone in the community and now they want to take it from them. It’s a slap in the face too hear the little bit of money they are offering people for there land. After that stadium is put up the property will be worth 20 times as much as they offer. I also think it’s wrong because the tax payers will end up coming out of their pockets for these private companies and baseball stadium. It’s funny how all the schools can’t get money for books, heat, and just better overall school conditions but they do everything in their power to kick them out and move some baseball in town. I love baseball but there are some things I can live without (like baseball). I hope there is a “Grandfather Law” or something for the longtime residence.

Not the same thing this is going to be public owned property not privately owned.

Its time for all of DC to look like a city and not a slum

Have you guys even been to the proposed site?

Gay Bars, row houses and the two businesses have that unkempt .

This will reduce the crime rate and moral decay of the area just as removing the 25 cent sex shows acroos from the FBI building and putting up the MCI center and condos in china town has for the downtown.

You may say its a dump but people do still live there it does not give anyone the right to take their land and put them on the street. And the place does not look the best but that’s because no one will fix it up. Just like the gov they would rather pay someone off instead of really helping to fix the problem. I know the vast majority of the people that talk about this part of DC have not seen what really goes on or attempted to help. It’s easy to say thing about something you don’t know much about.

You may say its a dump but people do still live there it does not give anyone the right to take their land and put them on the street. And the place does not look the best but that’s because no one will fix it up. Just like the gov they would rather pay someone off instead of really helping to fix the problem. I know the vast majority of the people that talk about this part of DC have not seen what really goes on or attempted to help. It’s easy to say thing about something you don’t know much about.

So then why hasn't it been cleaned up yet since you know everything. That area is a complete dump, and the dc government has turned a blind eye to it for the longest time. I have been in this area a little longer and remember when they had the same issue for where they were going to build MCI Center, not much outrage there now is there.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/25/AR2005102501354.html

D.C. Seizes 16 Owners' Property for Stadium

As Negotiations With City Continue, Tenants Given Three Months to Vacate Land in Southeast

By David Nakamura

Washington Post Staff Writer

Wednesday, October 26, 2005; B01

The District government filed court papers yesterday to seize $84 million worth of property from 16 owners in Southeast, giving them 90 days to leave and make way for a baseball stadium....

(edited by staff - please refer to new guidelines related to posting of articles from other websites)

This is exactly why Im agianst Baseball in DC.. Something to the benifit of affluent MDers and VAers and the expense of poor DCers

This is exactly why Im agianst Baseball in DC.. Something to the benifit of affluent MDers and VAers and the expense of poor DCers

hmm i guess you don't know about the affluent DCers you do know it is more expensive to live in DC then MD and VA :doh:

hmm i guess you don't know about the affluent DCers you do know it is more expensive to live in DC then MD and VA :doh:

Jbooma-- Are they living in the area that the stadium is being built in? if no than whats your point?

You are basically buying into the same arguments that the Supreme Court did and had outrage when they did but justify it now and thats reeks of inconsistancey

Jbooma-- Are they living in the area that the stadium is being built in? if no than whats your point?

You are basically buying into the same arguments that the Supreme Court did and had outrage when they did but justify it now and thats reeks of inconsistancey

I was not outraged by the supreme court if you read the threads. Actually having worked with the DPZ (Department of Planning and Zoning). I understand all that happens when you do city planning.

The problem I have with this people they KNEW a city stadium was going there, and instead of selling at a lot of money they held out.

Look some are against ballparks in cities, but they work look at San Fran, look at MCI Center. If put in a good place it can change the city for good. Southeast DC has been a complete joke since I was born and the owners of most of those properties could care less.

I am all for people owning some land, however when the don't take care of it for years and then the City wants to clean up then they complain.

I haven't read most of this case yet however been involved with slumlords, most of the poor do not even own these places, they are rented out to them by the owners that do not care.

Have you even read the article, it is business owners they are taken land from and are getting paid millions :doh:

IIRC, jbooma was one of the few people that supported the Kelo decision. I supported it too, and I would gladly buy Justice O'Connor a ticket if she ever wants to watch the Nats in our new stadium.

DLR, I don't know a lot of "poor people" that own businesses or real estate, so I don't think they are the people being affected by this taking. If there are low income people that own condos or row houses in the area, this will likely be a windfall for them, as it will give them cash to pay off their mortgage or allow them to liquidate property that wasn't necessarily in the greatest neighborhood.

The people complaining here are not poor people - they are property owners ... at worst this is the rich stealing from the middle class. Nobody is being thrown out on the street here.

There are segments of the population that say I have lived here all my life and will never sell no matter what

I have a feeling with the money they are getting they could buy a lot more land in that same area.

Have you seen what is happening to the South East as we speak, it is amazing, and due to this Stadium. These people will be just fine and might actually buy some of those condos they are building next door to live.

If had the money to invest right now it would be there.

So then why hasn't it been cleaned up yet since you know everything. That area is a complete dump, and the dc government has turned a blind eye to it for the longest time. I have been in this area a little longer and remember when they had the same issue for where they were going to build MCI Center, not much outrage there now is there.

What are you trying to be funny? What’s up with the sarcasm? First off I can tell you have no clue of the area where the baseball stadium will be because you just tried to compare it to the location of the MCI center. The MCI center is in the middle of the city there are like 10 homes right there. Now where the Baseball location is there are many homes right there where people have been living for more than 30 years.

You just proved my point for me. Especial when you said “ the gov turned a blind eye toward them” because the gov does not care about the part of town. The homes in those areas have not been fixed up by the landlords the gov will not fix the streets let alone plant a tree. There is so much that could be done but no one will do it. They have to go to school late every year because the schools have maintenance problems and little supplies. Just up the block from where they will be making the stadium by the Metro ( I think it’s the navy yard ) they kicked everyone out of their homes and put up building for these companies. It’s like night and day if you compare both sides and it’s less than a mile away from the other homes.

So like I said the only way the gov will fix something is by paying someone off and kicking the helpless people out.

:doh:

I have a feeling with the money they are getting they could buy a lot more land in that same area.

Have you seen what is happening to the South East as we speak, it is amazing, and due to this Stadium. These people will be just fine and might actually buy some of those condos they are building next door to live.

If had the money to invest right now it would be there.

haha that’s funny, do you really think that with the money they are trying to pay people off with they can get a home? Plus, and at the same time they are being told “take the money or else…”

there may be 3 people round there that have a mortgage people have been living in those homes for so long they are paid off. There G mas and great Gmas have lived in some of those places. There is so much value in those homes way more than any offer they are trying to pay people. After that baseball stadium is there those little homes are going to be 6 figure real estate investments. Why would they want to move out have to start paying for a home again.

Roads are essential.. kinda like oil and egss and milk.

Baseball Stadium hasnt been there ever and there happens to be an RFK stadium that could be renovated as opposed to this.. 56k seats seems like quite a few for baseball...

It may be a "want" it is not an essential...

Washington (AP) - Mayor Anthony Williams (website - news - bio) is telling District residents that RFK Stadium is not an option as a permanent site for Major League Baseball.

The mayor says baseball owners aren't interested in the site. He also says RFK could never spark economic development because it is a suburban style stadium in the middle of a parking lot.

God forbid you have a stadium in the middle of a parking lot? the horror!

Well my thing is those tracts of land being taken for the stadium site would not be worht what they are right now if not for the stadium. If this stadium and team did not exist and these buisnesses wanted to sell, i doubt they would be able to make what they will if they sold them with an impending stadium coming to the area.

I understand they have worked hard to make these businesses successful and that this might be thier life. But these businesses, or should i say land that the busiensses are located on, would not be worth what they are right now if not for the stadium.

Archived