Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNNSI: What we've learned so far This season has revealed a lot about players, coache

bubba9497

What we've learned so far This season has revealed a lot about players, coaches

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/jeffri_chadiha/10/25/nfl.lessons/index.html

Since we're seven weeks into the NFL season, I figured this is a good time to start assessing what's happening around the league. We'll call it a tease to the upcoming midseason report, and don't worry, I'm not going to be the next guy to tell you how officials are calling more penalties this year. I really don't care about that stuff.

Let the officials throw more flags. I'm more interested in what occurs when they're not doing that. So after bouncing from town to town and talking with numerous players, coaches and executives, here are the 10 things I've noticed about the NFL thus far:

1. Somebody finally got smart in Washington and put LaVar Arrington back on the field. Don't talk to me about how undisciplined Arrington has been throughout his career. The outside linebacker had to be doing something right to make three Pro Bowls in five years and his disappearance from the Redskins defense -- he barely played in two games before seeing extensive time in last Sunday's blowout win over San Francisco -- made no sense. Whatever it took for him to work out his issues with defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, the Redskins are better off for it. If they're going to make a run at a playoff spot, Arrington will be a key factor.

2. Jon Gruden is getting gentler and kinder. Despite all the injuries to his offense, Gruden has fostered a team chemistry in Tampa and that may be enough to get the Bucs through these adverse times. He's gone from being a workaholic head coach who locks himself in his office when he's not running practice to being a workaholic head coach who recognizes the value of easing up on his players. This past offseason, Gruden cancelled one mini-camp practice to take his team on a bowling trip and another so they could see a special screening of The Longest Yard. The defensive players say that he's spending more time around them, which he never did in the past. "He actually has conversations with us now," says linebacker Derrick Brooks.

3. Amani Toomer deserves more credit. I'm not just talking about his game-winning, two-yard touchdown reception in the Giants' 24-23 win over the Broncos last Sunday. I'm talking about the classy way he's handled being the forgotten man in an offense that has suddenly become explosive. Most wide receivers would take it as a slight when the team pursues another wide receiver -- namely Plaxico Burress -- because it needs a more dangerous weapon. But Toomer, who has 488 receptions in his 10-year career with the Giants, hasn't whined or sulked. What's more, Broncos defensive coordinator Larry Coyer says Toomer still blocks as well as any receiver in the league.

4. Courtney Brown is finally getting some good luck. Of all the former Cleveland Browns defensive linemen playing well in Denver, Brown is a success story that deserves some notice. Yes, he was a bust in Cleveland, but the first overall pick in the 2000 draft is still the kind of guy people should root for -- cordial, hard-working, humble, grounded. He has yet to express any bitterness about his experience in Cleveland. He just acknowledges that he's dealt with things well outside of his control -- he finished the last four years on injured reserve -- and that he hopes this season will be different. So far it has and he's proving true what Broncos head coach Mike Shanahan and former Browns head coach Butch Davis say about him: That when healthy, he plays well.

5. Tom Benson is the most heartless owner in NFL history. I know, I know, I'm piling on here. But in this case it's warranted. There's no way Benson can be bashed enough for the way he's trying to pull his team out of New Orleans in the wake of Hurricane Katrina. On a lesser note, the man also lied to his head coach. Jim Haslett has yet to see that extension that Benson promised him after last season. Since the Saints are now 2-5 and fading fast, it surely isn't coming now.

6. The Bengals will win the AFC North. Yeah, I saw the highlights from that loss to Pittsburgh. But I'm not basing this prediction on how Cincinnati has played to date. I'm making this call because of the way Cincinnati has played in the second half under head coach Marvin Lewis over the last two seasons. The Bengals started slow in each of those years and made a late run at a playoff spot in November and December. They'll do the same this year, especially since quarterback Carson Palmer will only improve as this season progresses.

7. Drew Bledsoe probably won't get his wish. The Cowboys quarterback had hoped the offense would become more aggressive the longer he played in it. That isn't likely to happen now. Dallas lost left tackle Flozell Adams for the season and Bledsoe certainly didn't help his cause by throwing a late interception that set up the game-winning field goal in the Cowboys' loss to Seattle last Sunday. As much as Bledsoe wants the offense to cut loose, he'll have to stick with what coach Bill Parcells wants most right now from his quarterback: A leader who just manages the game.

8. Norv Turner, meet LaMont Jordan. Turner is already on the hot seat in Oakland, so he might as well return to the type of play-calling that made him a successful offensive coordinator. That means handing the ball to Jordan and letting the running game set up those play-action passes to Randy Moss and the gang. Turner finally let Jordan take over a game in last Sunday's win over Buffalo and the result was impressive -- 122 rushing yards and three touchdowns. Imagine what would happen if Jordan could do that over the next few weeks. Turner might as well think about that option. He's got nothing to lose at this stage.

9. It's time to clean house in Houston. Dumping offensive coordinator Chris Palmer was only the beginning. At this point, head coach Dom Capers is the next guy out the door and general manager Charley Casserly isn't safe, either. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Quarterback David Carr isn't the only problem on this team. I don't see much help around him -- on either side of the ball -- and that's an issue that goes straight to the front office.

10. The AFC West is still the best division in the NFL. I'm not falling for all this talk about the NFC East re-establishing its dominance. Denver will still win 12 games this season. Kansas City will become more dangerous once its offense gets healthy. As for San Diego, it just has to start winning close games. Special teams play led to two of the Chargers' four losses (The Steelers beat them with a field goal and the Eagles got past the Chargers by blocking a field goal attempt and returning it for a touchdown). And San Diego probably would have beaten Dallas in Week 1 had Pro Bowl tight end Antonio Gates not been on the sidelines. The Chargers will be there at the end.

Ok, so your mid-season assessment mentions the Redskins first, but only insofar as they haven't been playing Lavar? No mention of resurgence of Gibbs and Brunell, two supposedly washed up has-beens? No mention of Santana Moss's emergence? Only Lavar. Hmmmmmmmmm . . .

Ok, so your mid-season assessment mentions the Redskins first, but only insofar as they haven't been playing Lavar? No mention of resurgence of Gibbs and Brunell, two supposedly washed up has-beens? No mention of Santana Moss's emergence? Only Lavar. Hmmmmmmmmm . . .

You didn't think any of those clowns at CNNSI were going to come out and admit they were wrong, did you? :)

As to his comments, the one who got smart was ARRINGTON. He finally settled down, let his knee get better, get his legs under him, learn the playook, and keep his big, fat trap shut.

Arrington wised up and realized that for the team to be there for him, he has to be there for the TEAM FIRST. :)

Makes me sick to my stomach, we have the potential comeback player of the year and he mentions Lavar? FING BRUTAL ...

As I kinda figured, the Redskins aren't going to 'win' in everyone's eyes about Lavar. He comes in and plays well, and everyone thinks the coaching staff is a bunch of idiots for not playing him earlier, even if there were good reasons for it. Easy to make those comments when you aren't involved with the decision.

Jason

As I kinda figured, the Redskins aren't going to 'win' in everyone's eyes about Lavar. He comes in and plays well, and everyone thinks the coaching staff is a bunch of idiots for not playing him earlier, even if there were good reasons for it. Easy to make those comments when you aren't involved with the decision.

Jason

I couldn't agree with you more,...some of these reporters are just Fing retarted...They think our coaching staff finally decided to listen to their advice and play Lavar. Thanks but I think they know what is best for him and the team. It really pissed me off on NFL Primetime when Tom Jackson kinda said the same thing..."You need Lavar out there, blah blah blah, I'm an idiot."

where are people getting this "lavar isnt a team player" stuff... how in the world is it possible not b a team player in football?? especially on defens. the only way i can say sum is not being a team player is being a distraction. Lavar has never truely done that, he made some comments but it's been humble. From what ive seen from the past lavar has always put the team first. im still not buying this crap.... if lavar doesnt get substantial PT against the giants its going to be even more of a pain.

10. The AFC West is still the best division in the NFL. I'm not falling for all this talk about the NFC East re-establishing its dominance. Denver will still win 12 games this season. Kansas City will become more dangerous once its offense gets healthy. As for San Diego, it just has to start winning close games. Special teams play led to two of the Chargers' four losses (The Steelers beat them with a field goal and the Eagles got past the Chargers by blocking a field goal attempt and returning it for a touchdown). And San Diego probably would have beaten Dallas in Week 1 had Pro Bowl tight end Antonio Gates not been on the sidelines. The Chargers will be there at the end.

Sounds like a bunch of excuses instead of reasons. If KC does this...if San Diego does that....San Diego JUST needs to start winning close games (Oh, that's it? They only have to start winning games? That should be easy. I guess someone should tell Marty to start winning the games. He must have missed the memo.).

Way to conveniently leave out Oakland. Even without Oakland...San Diego, Denver and KC are still 3-4 against the NFC East. That's all that needs to be said.

Archived