Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can someone give me an honest review...

zallera

..of Lavar's play? I had to entertain my parents before they hopped on plane back home, so I missed the first 2 and a half quarters.

I realize he had 9 tackles and he was flying around, but I personally saw him, twice, go for the big hit rather than wrap up and miss a tackle. I also saw him over pursue on one play I can think of.

He was typical LaVar. He made some spectacular plays and demonstrated his athletic ability by chasing down Smith all the way across the field. But the Niners ran right at him on thier first touchdown and LaVar was out of the play.

All in all it's pretty clear that the defense is better with him in there.

He was typical LaVar. He made some spectacular plays and demonstrated his athletic ability by chasing down Smith all the way across the field. But the Niners ran right at him on thier first touchdown and LaVar was out of the play.

On the first 49ers touchdown, LA was playing DE and crashed down on the end of the line forcing the runner inside. He followed his assignement to a fault on that play, but no one else was able to shed their blocks so the force in didn't help.

Played OK with flashes of brilliance. He does tend to get caught up inside (on the long run it was Clemens and Lavar that both vacated the cutback lane - though I think it was Clemon's responsibility).

He is scary fast and scary big so he was definitely intimidating (kinda like ST in the secondary). It was nice to see the big guy get in a few licks...

I didn't mean that he played the wrong assignment so much as he just got taken out of the play by the offensive lineman. One of the continuing knocks on LaVar is that he can't shed blocks, and he got handled on that play. This of course happens to everyone from time to time. But LaVar is so strong that he out to be able to shed blocks better than he does.

This pretty much sums it up; he was typical Lavar. He had a couple huge plays -- a tackle for a 7 yard loss and the play where he chased Smith all the way across the field, vintage LA. But on Frank Gore's 70+ yard touchdown run, Arrington took himself out of the play...he was all the way on the other side of the line when Gore cut back, and when he tried to get back to the other side, he was behind a wall of linemen, effectively eliminating any chance he had to make the play.

I'm not sure why everyone wants to pin that one on Clemons...if Lavar was in the right spot, he would have easily brought down Gore (or sufficiently slowed him down for someone else to take him down) :whoknows:

Listen that was a great run by Gore. It looked like he was in the pileup LA did what LB'ers are suppose to do he scraped down the line following the ball when he saw him cut back he got caught in trash for a split second which made him late getting backside.

Clemons sole responsiblity was backside containment and he saw the same thing LA did a pileup. It really was on Clemons if you want to be technical. But man can that boy run he may have a future this guy started football really late unlike his brother Chris.

Also Bowen bite on the same thing and took a bad angle.

On Barlows 1st run LA blitzed inside keeping his outside shoulder free taking on the lead blocker the pulling guard like your taught, honestly he almost blew that play up by himself but the pulling guard jumped on him. Holdman was suppose to fill and clean it up but was being blocked 5 yards downfield and could'nt get off it. Then you had ST take a horrible angle or he woulda made the play.

On both td runs thier were multiple player breakdowns.

Listen that was a great run by Gore. It looked like he was in the pileup LA did what LB'ers are suppose to do he scraped down the line following the ball when he saw him cut back he got caught in trash for a split second which made him late getting backside.

Clemons sole responsiblity was backside containment and he saw the same thing LA did a pileup. It really was on Clemons if you want to be technical. But man can that boy run he may have a future this guy started football really late unlike his brother Chris.

Also Bowen bite on the same thing and took a bad angle.

On Barlows 1st run LA blitzed inside keeping his outside shoulder free taking on the lead blocker the pulling guard like your taught, honestly he almost blew that play up by himself but the pulling guard jumped on him. Holdman was suppose to fill and clean it up but was being blocked 5 yards downfield and could'nt get off it. Then you had ST take a horrible angle or he woulda made the play.

On both td runs thier were multiple player breakdowns.

Thanks Samuels,

The haters will see it their way though.

Lavar being so highly regarded, fans seem to hold him accountable for every miscue on defense, even the ones where as he wasn't even in the game. Its crazy. :allhail:

Thanks Samuels,

Lavar being so highly regarded, fans seem to hold him accountable for every miscue on defense, even the ones where as he wasn't even in the game. Its crazy. :allhail:

What fun would the week be if even after a successful victory in nearly every sense of the word, someone here couldn't develop some sort of contraversy or debate?

Think of it, a week full of smiling and laughing and agreement and of singing the praises of all that is right in Redskinland with NO debatable issues. Umm.....that would be nice, but I'll believe it when I see it. If we're even for a moment having the "who let the dog out" debate to determine fault on one run in a game that was over 40 points ago, then I'm convinced that there isn't a scenario imagineable that couldn't be argued here on the boards.

I totally Agree - It was typical LeVar. He made some big plays and played with a lot of emotion. BUT, we was crumbled by a blocker on the first TD run by Barrow. LeVar admitted that he should have been inside more and the LB coach said that LeVar (and others) didn't do a very good job on that play (follow link for the article).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/23/AR2005102301175.html

Frank Gore's 70 scamper appeared to be a huge mistake by LA. LeVar ran around the pile to try to get in front of Gore, but Gore bounced the run outside, running to the exact spot that LeVar vacated.

It's great to see LeVar in there pumping the defense up. But I think that the coaches gave LeVar more playing time this game in order to re-evaluate his play. If LeVar continues to refuse to learn to become a more deciplined player, I think that the coaches will designate LeVar as a 3rd and long pass-rusher.

QUOTE=nobandwagons]I totally Agree - It was typical LeVar. He made some big plays and played with a lot of emotion. BUT, we was crumbled by a blocker on the first TD run by Barrow. LeVar admitted that he should have been inside more and the LB coach said that LeVar (and others) didn't do a very good job on that play (follow link for the article).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/23/AR2005102301175.html

Frank Gore's 70 scamper appeared to be a huge mistake by LA. LeVar ran around the pile to try to get in front of Gore, but Gore bounced the run outside, running to the exact spot that LeVar vacated.

It's great to see LeVar in there pumping the defense up. But I think that the coaches gave LeVar more playing time this game in order to re-evaluate his play. If LeVar continues to refuse to learn to become a more deciplined player, I think that the coaches will designate LeVar as a 3rd and long pass-rusher.

Lavar didnt vacate anything on the TD run. his assignment on that play was to contain. he did. unfortunately Clemmons was not where he was supposed to be and that sprang gore into the secondary. anyone that does not see this simply does not understand what a D ends job is. which is essentially what LA was on that play. CONTAINMENT was his job and that is what he did, stayed in HIS gap.

Both tds runs were mutiple player breakdowns. What LA did on the Barlow run was keep his outside shoulder free like your taught and he took on the lead blocker the pulling guard like he's suppose. The guy did'nt blow him up he laid on him. Trevor Matich broke it down the same way I did in the fox 5 postgame show. Maybe he shoulda went insde more either way LA had to take on the lead blocker and somebody else mainly Holdman and ST should have cleaned it up.

The Gore run again LB'ers are taught to scrap and follow the ball LA got caught up in our d-line being pushed back when he tried to go backside with Gore. Clemons should have stayed home but honestly the saefty should have made that play Bowen.

For a 1st game he did very well. But those td runs were because of mutiple player breakdowns the same 1's we've been seeing over and over the last few weeks honestly it has me worried. Tiki will kill us outside and on those cutback runs if were not careful.

Anything about Lavar seems to draw out those who unconditional-reflexively need to include a "hater" remark (or make remarks simply construed and responded to as such by the "other side") or a "worshipper" remark (or ones simply construed and responded to as such by the "other side") and that just seems how it's going to be for awhile. No biggy.

Its like trying to find ground for reasonble discussion about general non-partisan issues regarding one candidate or the other in a political message board without getting into labeling and mud-slinging between "conservatives" and "liberals". It's not impossible but you better have your waders on.

If your responsibitity it to contain, you usually don't sprint to get in front of the running back. You CONTAIN by staying in your lane and cutting off the runners escape routes. Now, I'm not an NFL coach and I don't claim to know what play was called or what anybodies assignement was. But from observation, it appeared the LeVar was one of the players that was out of position.

LeVar put himself in the "dog-house" by continually making these kinds of mistakes, going for big plays. If he wants to become the elite Linebacker, that he has the physical abilities to be, he has to eliminate these kind of mental miscues.

If your responsibitity it to contain, you usually don't sprint to get in front of the running back. You CONTAIN by staying in your lane and cutting off the runners escape routes. Now, I'm not an NFL coach and I don't claim to know what play was called or what anybodies assignement was. But from observation, it appeared the LeVar was one of the players that was out of position.

LeVar put himself in the "dog-house" by continually making these kinds of mistakes, going for big plays. If he wants to become the elite Linebacker, that he has the physical abilities to be, he has to eliminate these kind of mental miscues.

Its LaVar.

You are totally wrong. I just watched the highlight just 5mins ago and you are still wrong.

Both tds runs were mutiple player breakdowns. What LA did on the Barlow run was keep his outside shoulder free like your taught and he took on the lead blocker the pulling guard like he's suppose. The guy did'nt blow him up he laid on him. Trevor Matich broke it down the same way I did in the fox 5 postgame show. Maybe he shoulda went insde more either way LA had to take on the lead blocker and somebody else mainly Holdman and ST should have cleaned it up.

The Gore run again LB'ers are taught to scrap and follow the ball LA got caught up in our d-line being pushed back when he tried to go backside with Gore. Clemons should have stayed home but honestly the saefty should have made that play Bowen.

For a 1st game he did very well. But those td runs were because of mutiple player breakdowns the same 1's we've been seeing over and over the last few weeks honestly it has me worried. Tiki will kill us outside and on those cutback runs if were not careful.

This guy got it right. And Charles Mann & Trevor Matich pretty much agreed too. Good to see someone who doesn't have an axe to grind.

I got no problem busting any player no matter who they are, I would just like to see people be even-handed about it. Lavar has gotten into that rare QB-scrutiny zone, where he is given too much blame & too much credit. Let Lavar be human folks, just like the rest of the team.

Thanks Samuels,

Or maybe, just maybe, the contantly rosy view of Lavar's play from sycophants like you isn't 100% accurate . . . :)

..of Lavar's play? I had to entertain my parents before they hopped on plane back home, so I missed the first 2 and a half quarters.

I realize he had 9 tackles and he was flying around, but I personally saw him, twice, go for the big hit rather than wrap up and miss a tackle. I also saw him over pursue on one play I can think of.

He played pretty dayum good for not being in game shape and missing about a year. Give him a few more weeks in GW system and this Defense is gonna rock some quarterbacks.

Thanks Samuels,

Dude, seriously? Get over yourself. Nobody is hating on Lavar -- simply pointing out an observation from the game. I made the same observations on the Tatum Bell TD runs and the Priest Holmes screen.

If you can't see that LA was out of position, then you have your head so far up LA's butt crack you can probably taste what he had for breakfast. Clemons may have been out of position as well, but I've only seen the play once, and the ultra-obvious person out of position was LA.

And Samuels is also correct -- Bowen took a horrible angle on the play. But that is typical Bowen; he takes bad angles.

Archived