Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Has the Game Passed Joe Gibbs By?

E-Dog Night

I was thinking about on the way home yesterday. Last year and going into this year, many felt the game had passed Gibbs by. Funny thing is I haven't heard from those people lately.

Amazing... :point2sky

They've been mysteriously absent for several weeks, haven't they? Maybe someone should form a search party. Here's the description of who to look for:

MISSING: Hundreds of erstwhile football fans predicting the demise of Joe Gibbs' ability to coach NFL football.

LAST SEEN: Posting messages on various websites, working for ESPN & SI, kneeling with mouths wide open in front of Bill Parcells.

WEARING: Blue and white shirts with stars on them, but only after Cowboy victories. After Dallas losses look for weak-minded individuals wearing non-descript neutral colors who are trying to blend into the woodwork.

Of course the game has passed Gibbs by. I learned this by reading all of the stories on him this offseason. Particularily from so many of the posts here...! I walked with Joe Gibbs from the post game new conference after the Vikings game last year to the locker room with Joe Gibbs. My parting comment was "how quickly people forget, it's been over 10 years since we were able to stop the run." He smiled and said Thank you. I said Bless you and Thank you Coach.

Joe Gibbs is one of the five most brilliant coach's that has ever coached in the NFL. A leader of Men, he knows you must first stop the run, then run the ball and then not turn the ball over. This simple formula allows your team to do everything else. Including win most games.

The game HAD passed Joe Gibbs by. That's what happens when you leave for 11 years.

Now, when you're a Hall of Fame Coach who was, at one point, one of the most innovative minds in the game, you can catch up and pass the game rather quickly, which is, of course, exactly what happened.

I always found it interesting last year when people were beginning to say this about Gibbs. Gibbs was twice the coach that Dick Vermeil was in Philly, and Dick was able to come back after 15 years and win a superbowl. He needed a couple years also, but when he had his players, that was it. I think the same logic applies to Gibbs. You have to let a coach get "his players" together. Even with free agency, this is still possible.

Think back to the 1980s, when Gibbs was in his coaching prime. How hard would it have been to lock up Neil Olkeiwicz (sp.), Kelvin Bryant, Joe Jacoby, Jeff Bostic, Mark Rypien, Ricky Sanders, Dexter Manley, even Gary Clark? None of these players were supposed to amount to much in the league, but all were Gibbs' players. And all were integral parts of Super Bowl teams. Free agency or not, Gibbs still possesses the ability to put together this type of unit. It's only a matter of time before we all see it.

Hilarious thread to go with the giddiness of a well earned blowout.

Football at it's heart is a very simple game. It's about blocking and tackling. Run and shoot, run and gun, hurry up, zone blitz, 46, whatever you want to call your schemes, the heart of the game is the fundamentals. Joe Gibbs knows this better than most and I always laughed at the notion the game "passed him by".

The kinds of things he emphasizes, ie.g., the fundamentals, were true in his day, before his day, and will be true long after he's gone barring any substantial changes in football's rules.

I think it has passed by Mike Nolan- the guy should retire now and save face.

It's a shame to see men toe the line in attempts to succeed and than see that after about 8 games that they obviously will never get it.

Sorry Mike, you had a good run.

Archived