Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Prediction: Lavar's breakout season as a Redskin will begin this weekend

GSF

I apologize in advance for creating another Lavar thread, but I bring good news that I believe warrants the consideration of my fellow Redskins fanatics. The writing is on the wall that coaches Gibbs and Williams are getting through to Lavar, and that as bad as things looked last week, the turnaround has begun for #56.

Lavar is showing signs that the light bulb has come on. He's finally saying the right things to the media, he's reportedly practicing his tail off, and he appears to be fully healthy and very motivated. These are the things Lavar needs to do to regain the trust of the coaching staff.

There has been great debate here on extreme about whether Lavar's benching was about his performance, or was it personal. The truth is it was both. The coaches realized that Lavar could not be trusted on or off the field because he put himself before the team, and that kind of attitude can destroy the chemistry and trust that the coaching staff worked so hard to create. In short, Lavar needed to be humbled.

Now we read that Lavar is busting his tail in practice, and we hear Lavar on the radio say, "I don't want to talk about it anymore, I just want to talk about the Redskins".

Lavar has tremendous talent and atheletic ability. He has always had the potential to be the best backer in the game, but he never reached that potential b/c he let himself believe that he was bigger than the team. As big of a mess as the Redskins were, it's hard to blame him in a way. But that mentality won't work on a Joe Gibbs team, and the writing on the wall says Lavar finally understands this.

Look for Lavar to work at his game harder than he ever has in his career. Look for him to practice hard, and to study the defense until he understands it as well as anyone on the team. Look for him to play within the system, but to be a terror within that system without giving up the big plays on missed assignments.

Lavar is fully healthy, and now thanks to the coaches he's very motivated. Coaches Williams will start to work him back in against SF. Lavar will have some success, which will motivate him to work even harder, and he'll be at full steam by the half way mark against the Eagles.

Years from now, Skins fans will talk about ho Joe Gibbs kick started the career of Lavar Arrington, like he did the careers of John Riggins and Dexter Manley. The rebirth of Lavar is going to be fun to watch, and it all starts this weekend. Hail Skins fans!

Hopefully when its all said and done, Gibbs and Williams will look like geniuses for doing it this route. It might have hurt us in the short term, but I think it makes us a better team in the long run.

I agree completely. I feel like a large part of this whole situation is that Gibbs and GW felt that they weren't going to get what they wanted out of Lavar and he would never realize his full potential unless they found a way to change his mindset and humble him for the better. Previous DCs didn't have the guts/authority (Danny S would've never had this in previous staffs) to do what needed to be done. In the end, they just didn't want to be satisfied that Lavar was the best talent on the D. They wanted him to act like he was the best player by doing all the things everybody else had to do to earn a job. Hopefully, they got through to him and now he can reach his full potential as an athlete, student of the game and leader.

Lavar has tremendous talent and atheletic ability. He has always had the potential to be the best backer in the game, but he never reached that potential b/c he let himself believe that he was bigger than the team. As big of a mess as the Redskins were, it's hard to blame him in a way. But that mentality won't work on a Joe Gibbs team, and the writing on the wall says Lavar finally understands this.

Look for Lavar to work at his game harder than he ever has in his career. Look for him to practice hard, and to study the defense until he understands it as well as anyone on the team. Look for him to play within the system, but to be a terror within that system without giving up the big plays on missed assignments.

These are excellent points GSF. I think the staff took a long hard look and decided that something had to be done sooner rather than later so that as they move forward they will have the best Lavar they can have on their side. Really, I think it was a tough, gusty decision. They had to know how much crticism it would cause and that it could slow the team down in the short term but I think they felt it was necessary for the big picture.

I agree completely. I feel like a large part of this whole situation is that Gibbs and GW felt that they weren't going to get what they wanted out of Lavar and he would never realize his full potential unless they found a way to change his mindset and humble him for the better. Previous DCs didn't have the guts/authority (Danny S would've never had this in previous staffs) to do what needed to be done. In the end, they just didn't want to be satisfied that Lavar was the best talent on the D. They wanted him to act like he was the best player by doing all the things everybody else had to do to earn a job. Hopefully, they got through to him and now he can reach his full potential as an athlete, student of the game and leader.

That's fine if this is the case. however, this still means it was 'personal' and as Keim's inside source stated a "battle of egos."

I respect GSF's opinion that it was both performance and personal(and I agree) but that would completely contradict the talk about '1 big play/5 missed ones' and merely 'practicing better' or the smokescreen of 'packages' and talk of 'starters' when the talk leading up to the year was that there 'were no starters.' As you know, it is possible for a player to submit to the playbook and his assignments and still mouth off.

if any part of his playing on Sunday has to do with him refusing to answer questions, then many on this board were wrong about it JUST being about the best football team being put on the field each Sunday.

But of course, if he does play(or even if it comes NEXT week) it'll be the same mental acrobatics advocated from the same sources.

I can't wait to see him on the field, in any case.

Sorry, I accidentally posted some jibberish. The thought of Arrington returning to the D in front of a home crowd kinda fired me up. It seems that everything is finially comming together for the Skins. If the Skins execute properly I think that it will be a long day for the 49's.

That's fine if this is the case. however, this still means it was 'personal' and as Keim's inside source stated a "battle of egos."

I respect GSF's opinion that it was both performance and personal(and I agree) but that would completely contradict the talk about '1 big play/5 missed ones' and merely 'practicing better' or the smokescreen of 'packages' and talk of 'starters' when the talk leading up to the year was that there 'were no starters.' As you know, it is possible for a player to submit to the playbook and his assignments and still mouth off.

if any part of his playing on Sunday has to do with him refusing to answer questions, then many on this board were wrong about it JUST being about the best football team being put on the field each Sunday.

But of course, if he does play(or even if it comes NEXT week) it'll be the same mental acrobatics advocated from the same sources.

I think the problem is that the line between personal and perfomance is kind of blurry here. Lavar saying the wrong things to the media and having the attitude that his spot was his right not something he earned and appreciated is not directly peromance related and was a factor in this whole thing. I just think that these personal issues have the potential to affect team chemistry and Lavar's development. It wasn't so much that they had a vendetta because of his peronal actions as they felt that his attitude was a hinderance to the team and himself. All you have to do is listen to the JT interview. I've never heard talk about the team like a that in the sense that he never referred to himself, only the team. We can special, we feel like we should win, we corrected the mistakes against Denver and will correct the mistakes from KC. He's saying these things in a we context even he wasn't personally involved in the games! That's the attitude of a semi talented, hard working ST player who is just dying to contribute and loves his team. I think that's what they've wanted to see from him the whole time. Responsibility to himself and the team and sacrificing self for the team. I can't wait to see the new Lavar dominate the rest of the year and for years to come.

Lavar's statements to the media do factor in and that doesn't alter the primary point against him. People need to realize that Lavar's sense of SELF IS THE PROBLEM. It always has been. One week Lavar makes untrue statements and is focused on himself. The next he refuses to talk about himself, but, puts the team ahead. THAT is the PRECISE thing the staff is asking him to do in practice, in the game, out of practice and everywhere else.

Demonstrating an ability in public to put the team ahead of himself IS a valuable effort on his part to show he's willing to be part of that team.

I think the problem is that the line between personal and perfomance is kind of blurry here. Lavar saying the wrong things to the media and having the attitude that his spot was his right not something he earned and appreciated is not directly peromance related and was a factor in this whole thing. I just think that these personal issues have the potential to affect team chemistry and Lavar's development. It wasn't so much that they had a vendetta because of his peronal actions as they felt that his attitude was a hinderance to the team and himself.

Again, I don't disagree with this kind of analysis, at least not out of hand. But it still doesn't jibe with the arguments advanced by some that there was nothing other than on-field football performance to blame. And worse yet, they will be out in force if Lavar plays, talking about how it all 'went according to plan' rather than the team faced a ridiculous amount of examination on the issue in the previous week. As if Lavar JUST dedicated himself in the last week to practice and adopted a team attitude within a matter of days.

But what about Lavar not fitting the system? What about Lavar giving up 5 plays to every 1 he makes? What about there being few defensive packages for Lavar? What about the Redskins' defense being fine without him? Did no one in their heart of hearts believe this? Has all this changed on the wispers of a rumor? I find it curious if it has.

At this point we have heard Lavar will play more almost every single week. I will have to see it to believe it. Hope it is true.

For the record it is pretty funny that after starting a losing streak, could have been 5-0, and giving up the division to the Cowboys... the spin is Lavar is finally "getting it". Maybe Gregg Williams is the one finally "getting it".

I am excited at the possibility to hopefully and finally see Lavar on the field, but so many people get on Holdman like he is as bad as Jimoh. Granted the guy is not a playmaker but he is a good, solid player. His only fault is being the guy who has kept Lavar on the bench. I want Lavar back in as well.

Thanks for all replies.

Ghost, when I say that it was partly personal with Lavar, I mean that part of this was about his attitude. I do not mean that Lavar was being retaliated against for speaking out against the team, but rather being taught that that kind of attitude will no longer be tolerated on this team. I don't believe it was a battle of egos, but more a checking of 1 ego, Lavar's. I'm not sure if you agree with this or not, but I don't blame the coaches for taking this approach with Lavar considering some of the things he's said and done.

As far as what was being said by the coaches, giving up big plays, missing assignments, ect, I think they were telling the truth. I think they chose not to discuss the other reasons for Lavar's benching b/c they don't publcly discuss those types of issues. It's one thing to discuss a player's play publicly, it's a whole other thing to talk about his attitude in general and how he handles his business. I guess this could be called a lie by omission, but I don't see where the coaches are obligated to discuss any of this publicly, and I actually think doing so would have been very counter-productive.

I could be completely wrong here, but I'm going by Coach Gibbs' history, and just a gut feeling that Joe Gibbs is going to be the best thing that ever happened to Lavar's career. Hopefully we'll start to see something this Sunday. I'm betting we will.

I think that's a real jerkoff post, as well as most "Prediction:" posts, or "What will the score be", "What will our record be"...

Really, stop trying to be Miss Cleo and just enjoy the damn games man!

Not to mention, you say "Lavar's breakout Season"...The dude's been to 3 Pro-bowls...Don't you think he's already broken out?

Would we be begging for Lavar to play if he hadn't already broken out?

:jerk:

To keep the rumors up: Kelly Johnson on comcast sports net reported that Lavar has been getting more snaps with the first team defense, and while Lavar would not speculate on how much playing time he would get, other players told Kelly Johnson that Lavar would be on punt return as well as seeing time on defense in some packages.

With that being said, if the coaches ever want to give Lavar a shot and shut up the media this is the game to do it. I know Joe doesn't want to call this a gimmie game, but this is the worst team the Redskins play all season. If Lavar does make plays then he'll see increased time, but if he does nothing then Joe and Greg can say, "We gave him a chance against San Fransico and he didn't perform." This chance may be more for the fans and the media than Lavar himself.

SloppyOneXXVI soon to be SloppyOneXL

Archived