Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

It's the offense.

Ignatius J.

Long,

Don't think I'm giving the D a free pass, but today, in this game against one of the worst defenses in the league, the blame lies squarely on the offense. I agree the defense needs to play better and does not belong in discussions of "elite" defenses around the league.

Our offense has been pitiful. To blame this on the defense just seems foolish to me.

I definetely would not say that our offense is pitiful. We lost this game because of turnovers. Hell, if we forced a turnover on defense or had one less turnover on offense, it would have greatly increased our chances on winning this game.

To beat good teams we have to win the turnover battle. We will score more points as well as give up less.

The only way we lose next week is if we kill ourselves with turnovers. So our offense needs to stop coughing up the ball, and the defense has to make bigger plays to make an interception or to force a fumble.

If we start winning the turnover ratio, we could become a VERY GOOD football team.

I think there is an overwhelming urge to blame the defense because of the whole arrington situation, but I think that urge is highly misplaced.

Our offense has been pitiful. You cannot win on the road with an offense that scores only 14 net points. We did it in dallas by sheer miracle, combined with spectacular defense.

Our defense is banged up, and still only gave up 21 points against one of the better offenses in the league.

To blame this on the defense just seems foolish to me.

We obviously lost this game on two plays: Brunell's fumble in the 1st when we were in the red zone, and rock's drop in the 3rd that got taken to the house. However, our D played so well last year, and this year, no one is afraid of our D--we can't get to the QB at all, not even when we bring some blitz from the secondary--losing pierce and smoot have hurt, because lemar and holdman really are less than mediocre and walt harris is no smoot. This is compounded by the fact that we sit one of the two playmakers we actually have on D, 56. The other is S. Taylor. There's an underlying stubborness in this coaching staff that is really really getting to me: they are very slow to change, and they think that because they had success in the 80's and early 90's, they know everything. Well, they don't. The rushing game is a mess, and the offense still needs to be opened up. We need to run out of 4 wide receiver sets, run out of the shotgun--something creative. A reverse to Thrash doesn't cut it.

We obviously lost this game on two plays: Brunell's fumble in the 1st when we were in the red zone, and rock's drop in the 3rd that got taken to the house. However, our D played so well last year, and this year, no one is afraid of our D--we can't get to the QB at all, not even when we bring some blitz from the secondary--losing pierce and smoot have hurt, because lemar and holdman really are less than mediocre and walt harris is no smoot. This is compounded by the fact that we sit one of the two playmakers we actually have on D, 56. The other is S. Taylor. There's an underlying stubborness in this coaching staff that is really really getting to me: they are very slow to change, and they think that because they had success in the 80's and early 90's, they know everything. Well, they don't. The rushing game is a mess, and the offense still needs to be opened up. We need to run out of 4 wide receiver sets, run out of the shotgun--something creative. A reverse to Thrash doesn't cut it.

I think you make a great point. Our idea of good and bad offenses are seriously skewed by what we saw last year. Our defense is still a good defense. Look at what we did to the broncos compared to what the broncos are doing to the pats.

Defense can't win games alone. We don't have the raven's D. Expectations for the D are too high and the expectations for this O are WAY too low.

You show me a team that won a game scoring fewer points then the opponent then we'll talk. :laugh:

EXACTLY! KC scored 28 GROSS points. Skins scored 21 GROSS points. Final game score 28-21. Didn't see net points mentioned anywhere.

Look, I'm not laying this loss exclusively at the feet of the D, it was a total team loss. But the last two weeks this team has gained far more yardage than their opponent, yet lost. In both games the defense failed to record a turnover, and recorded only one sack. THAT IS PITIFUL! And that is a LARGE reason why the Skins lost both those games, IMO.

The Skins cannot be consistent winners if they lose the turnover battle each and every week.

EXACTLY! KC scored 28 GROSS points. Skins scored 21 GROSS points. Final game score 28-21. Didn't see net points mentioned anywhere.

Look, I'm not laying this loss exclusively at the feet of the D, it was a total team loss. But the last two weeks this team has gained far more yardage than their opponent, yet lost. In both games the defense failed to record a turnover, and recorded only one sack. THAT IS PITIFUL! And that is a LARGE reason why the Skins lost both those games, IMO.

The Skins cannot be consistent winners if they lose the turnover battle each and every week.

C'mon my man--we lose, for the most part because of turnovers and an inability to score in the red zone--we don't have one rushing TD this SEASON. What does that tell you? Our red zone offense and playcalling suck. When you go on an 8:00 minute drive in the first quarter and come away with nothing, you're going to have problems. We're asking our defense to go out there and overcome, not only our offensive inefficiency, but turnovers on our side of the field, and the 7 points we spotted them when cartright fumbled. Our defense is good, not great, and they are going to give up points to a premier offense like KC. We had plently of opportunities to put this team away, and we didn't...instead, we put ourselves away when cartright fumbled, which is par for the course

i think we lead the league in 20 minute drives which end with no points. They're great in the 4th when you're leading. but our coaching staff seems to think they're more effective in the first quarter.

LOL

Let met tell you, some of that is playcalling, especially the run game.

But there's something else. This offense is a mirage, even without turnovers.

"Attitude reflec' leadership, COACH."

There are people to blame who many here don't like blaming. And there is also a bit of the 'mirage' aspect to a certain QB's rebirth, though he is playing well enough individually on a team with a GOOD running game and playcalling to get us to the playoffs.

Is the suggestion that there's still something seriously wrong with our offensive scheme?

There is certainly a problem with our execution, and it's showing up with the turnovers, but I'm not that sure that there's something seriously wrong with our offensive scheme.

I guess my question is, if the problem is the offense, what do we do about it?

My general feeling is that we're doing things just about right. The offensive line could be playing a little better, but our problems seem to be with execution - fumbles, missed blocks, etc. rather than with scheme. It seems to me that our offense looks fine; our offensive execution has been mistake-prone.

I think there is an overwhelming urge to blame the defense because of the whole arrington situation, but I think that urge is highly misplaced.

Our offense has been pitiful. You cannot win on the road with an offense that scores only 14 net points. We did it in dallas by sheer miracle, combined with spectacular defense.

Our defense is banged up, and still only gave up 21 points against one of the better offenses in the league.

To blame this on the defense just seems foolish to me.

I was never one to place the whole blame on the defense.

This is the SOLE reason we lost the game:

TURNOVERS!

How many of you would be b****ing about the offense if Brunell and Cartwright hadn't committed those red zone turnovers and we score at least 27 if not 31 or 35??!!

I'm quite satisfied with how this team as a whole is playing so far. We just have to be a little more careful with the ball.

I agree, if the offence played as well as the D, then we would be winning more games.

mhbhoy(Scotland).

That is an underestimation.

If our offense played as well as our D, theoretically speaking, we would have a #5 ranked offense, as well as a #5 ranked defense.

On those rankings (theoretically) we would be superbowl-bound.

Archived