Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

....and our Defense stinks this year.

"Durel" Green

the D doesn't stink........it was just a play where Holmes changed directions away from the intended path of the play, had some very good blocking and holding, and did what he does best. i'm not going to get down on the D for this play, though i did throw my bottle of beer into the wall. i'm more pissed at that cartwright fumble.

Hasnt been bad this year, but there has been a decline these last two weeks, I was hoping, actually expecting, the D to be motivated by last weels perfromance and step it up today. This could be two weeks ina row that the offense does its part and the D doesnt. Why cant this team ever have everything work. Its always just one aspect

I made excuses after the Seahawks second-quarter performance, and again after the two big runs in Denver, but there's no way around it after this: our D is giving up too many big plays. We're not getting enough pressure on the QB, even with the blitz, we're not forcing any turnovers, and we're giving up the big play when it counts.

It's looking like the coaches made a mistake in only keeping four corners, especially with the fourth one being Jimoh. We're not getting enough pressure with our front four, even Griffin isn't getting any penetration. And, other than Washington, our linebackers are largely unspectacular.

And, worst of all, this will only make the whole LaVAr thing even more of a distraction.

the D doesn't stink........it was just a play where Holmes changed directions away from the intended path of the play, had some very good blocking and holding, and did what he does best. i'm not going to get down on the D for this play, though i did throw my bottle of beer into the wall. i'm more pissed at that cartwright fumble.

To me, it was the play right before Priest's TD...we have them at 3rd and 11 and let Marc Boerichter get the first down catch....THAT was the big play on that TD drive...

Thank you, Holmes is a great player, he made a great play...nuff said.

The lack of pressure is unreal. The zone D calls are allowing teams to convert 3rd and longs. The lack of turnovers almost become a fluke at this point. (Never saw a replay of Holmes first carry where he was ruled down by contact but we had three chances on their opening drive to force one and did not). And we were not good at key moments three weeks in a row. Poor tackling in big moments. We stayed aggressive near the end of the game against Dallas... I wish we'd do the same now. Live by the sword and dies by it... but we've got to get to the QB... especially with toast and a rookie seeing so many minutes right now.

This defense has taken a large step back from last year. Homers will make excuses but think about it for a second. If the defense stayed the same, it would look better on the stat sheet because this year the oppsoing team has the ball so much less then last year. Our offense holds onto the ball for a long time, something we never did last year. That ALONE would make the defense look better.

Yet the defense has slipped in the stats.

Now add to that the fact that we are consistently giving up big plays. In the broadcast today they showed how vulnerable the edges are, seattle burned us, denver burned us, and today the cheifs burned us again. 1 time is a fluke, 2 times is a trend.....3 times?

Speaking of trends...no turnovers. We had 2 against the bears and since then NOTHING. Not a single turnover. Charles Mann in the post game said "I'm not impressed" he commented that several players on the D were playing "decent" but that the defense was not gang tackling (our bread and butter last year was moving to the ball) and he went on to comment that the CB never jumped any routes and the we were generating virtually no pressure.

Bottom line the defense is not what it was. We took a major step back when we should have improved being that this town hasn't had consistency in the coaching staff in a while.

Let's hope we can rebound against the 49ers because we aren't the kings of the NFC east an when it's this close you can go from 1st to worst in one week.

I don't think that we stink or anything like that...I just think that we are a little banged up in the secondary and need to get our vets (Springs and Harris) back and healthy. We all knew that this was going to be a tough road trip. I am just glad that the skins' have a 3-2 record heading into a home game against the 49ers. I would say that this next game against San Fran. is a must win for our team. We all know that the offense is legit, all the skins' need is for that defense to get healthy and start perfroming like we know they can.

Archived