Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Noble on IR

ouvan59

What will be missed is him lining up next to Griffin. He took on block that allowed C.G. to take over games last year. As a vet, he did the dirty things that allowed C.G. and A. Pierce to shine. The new guys in the rotation have to excell at that if the D-line is going to improve and get more pressure up the middle on the QBs and RBs.

This may explain why C.G. has not been as dominant as last season...yet.

Dude, Noble didn't even play that much last year. You do know who Joe Salavea is right? Because that's the guy playing alongside Griffin for nearly 80% of the snaps.

And Griffin has been just as good as last year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matador36

1999 - sux! I guess we need to draft DL next year

Quote:

2000 - sux! I guess we need to draft DL next year

Quote:

2001 - sux! I guess we need to draft DL next year

Quote:

2002 - sux! I guess we need to draft DL next year

Quote:

2003 - sux! I guess we need to draft DL next year

Quote:

2004 - sux! I guess we need to draft DL next year

Quote:

2005 - sux! I guess we need to draft DL next year

might as well keep that on loop. We'll draft a kicker with the #1 overall pick before we draft a DL. :2cents:

I feel really bad for Noble but I was one of the few people that said dont hold your breath for this guy to return back to health.

Noble's a trooper, but we arguably have three guys in Salave'a, Boschetti and Killings that do what he does just as capably or better than him at this point in his career, even when healthy. Let's get Aki Jones into the lineup to see what he can do. That's what practice squads are for.

He needs to retire. I do not say that because of his production, but I hate to see a player with a permant disability after their playing days.

I personally think he was a huge contributor last year. Those big DT get tired by the end of the game if you can't rotate them. He came in and would take double teams so that the LBs could make the play. He is a big reason the run defense was so stout.

I also liked Boschetti. I hope he can do the job all year.

It seems the timing of this move is odd to me. We do not have a game for another 10 days. Why not wait until next week to put Noble on IR and move up Aki? Aki can still practice with the team, so no harm there. During the next 7 days many things could happen, including:

1) Noble's knee could improve and the team decide it is possible that he could play again this year so it is worth worth waiting longer to IR him; or

2) Another DL could become available that may be better than Aki. You could sign this player and keep Aki on the practice squad. I may be wrong, but if we sign another player to the active roster now, Aki will have to be waived and if he is not claimed we can put him back on the practice squad. He's already gone through this process once, so it is unlikely he would be snatched up, but you never know.

Very minor (and only remotely possible) stuff, but I am in a daze from watching Brunell to Moss over and over again.

I'll post here, to avoid a merge...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/22/AR2005092201239.html

The Associated Press

Thursday, September 22, 2005; 2:56 PM

ASHBURN, Va. -- The Washington Redskins placed defensive tackle Brandon Noble on injured reserve Thursday.

Noble, who missed the entire 2003 season after reconstructive surgery on his left knee, underwent arthroscopic surgery on the same knee last week.

The Redskins moved Aki Jones from the practice squad to take Noble's roster spot and signed linebacker Nick McNeil to the practice squad.

Noble returned from the 2003 injury and saw action in all 16 games last season. He made seven starts and registered 38 tackles, including one sack.

The tough-luck sixth-year player had minor surgery on his right knee in April, only to develop a nightmarish infection that required six weeks of energy-sapping antibiotics. He tweaked his left knee leading up to the first game of the season.

"He has a bone bruise, plus he has a chip, which we cleaned out. We sat and talked to Brandon a long time. He is super important to us," said Redskins coach Joe Gibbs. "We decided it was probably best for the team and for him, rather than to try and rush him back, to put him in IR."

Noble started his career with four seasons in Dallas. He helped the Cowboys' turnaround on defense in 2001 and started 32 consecutive games over the next two seasons. He signed with the Redskins as a free agent before the 2003 season.

Noble's career is over. You can see that in his comments last week, before the Redskins put him on IR. Next year he will be 32 and due to earn $1.7 million in base salary. No way he's on the team next year.

I only hope we have enough depth left. :doh:

Excerpts - Wash Times - Sept 17

Following a week or two of inactivity, Noble will begin rehabilitating.

"It's getting the bone bruise to calm down and then being able to tolerate the pain," he said. "It's going to be interesting to see what happens. I don't want to have to wait six weeks, but at the same time, I have to be smart about it because I've done enough damage to it. I'm only 31 years old, and I want to be able to walk around later."

Noble played in every game last year and was asked whether another knee surgery has him thinking about the future and retirement.

"I'm not quite there yet," he said. "I'm just going to get through these next couple weeks and help out as much as I can and hopefully get back on the field toward the second half of the season. After that, we'll make a decision."

Dude, Noble didn't even play that much last year. You do know who Joe Salavea is right? Because that's the guy playing alongside Griffin for nearly 80% of the snaps.

And Griffin has been just as good as last year.

Nah, I never met him.

Of course, I am aware of Salavea. Noble and Salavea were a key part of the rotation last year.

And Griffin has not been nearly as dominant as he was last year. Last season, he lived in the offensive backfield. This year the entire D-line is struggling to get push up the middle.

I think he is good enough to make the adjustment to get there again, but if you think what you saw Monday from Griffin was the same as last year, you are underestimating his performance. He was rarely stalemated at the line of scrimmage.

It seems the timing of this move is odd to me. We do not have a game for another 10 days. Why not wait until next week to put Noble on IR and move up Aki? Aki can still practice with the team, so no harm there. During the next 7 days many things could happen, including:

1) Noble's knee could improve and the team decide it is possible that he could play again this year so it is worth worth waiting longer to IR him; or

2) Another DL could become available that may be better than Aki. You could sign this player and keep Aki on the practice squad. I may be wrong, but if we sign another player to the active roster now, Aki will have to be waived and if he is not claimed we can put him back on the practice squad. He's already gone through this process once, so it is unlikely he would be snatched up, but you never know.

Very minor (and only remotely possible) stuff, but I am in a daze from watching Brunell to Moss over and over again.

You're not going to recover from surgery in 10 days, or even 2 months for that matter. Especially when you're over 300 lbs.

With his age and injury history, this unfortuantely might be it for him.

It's too bad - he seems like a character.

Archived