Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

QB Controversy

I'm gonna play my little version of Miss Cleo and predict a redskins tradition.

I know that we are currently in a competition between the three amigos at QB. However I think that when Sage wins this out, we can have even more trouble the others. I am having a flashback of when Norv drafted Heath and Gus and had Freiz to come in and mentor Heath. Remember when Heath held out and that forced Norv got to know Gus better. Then Gus played so dynamite in the preseason that he was the fan favorite ("In Gus We Trust"). Then Heath kept getting hurt and Norv was forced to play Gus, who won games.

This predicament is so similar. We've got a first rounder who is crying about pinching pennies. Then we've got a low rounder who wants to prove to everybody that he deserves to be a starter in this league. I can really see Sage taking this team to the playoffs and more, but I know that we didnt spend a first rounder on Ramsey for him to sit on the bench and wait for Sage to get hurt. I can see Sage coming in this year and being an above average QB, kinda like Tom Brady did with the Pats last year except with more excitement.

But if he does, then the redskins will have a big decision on their hands. Who do we get rid of? Or do we keep them both? I remember in the past when coaches have had situations like this they kept the higher draft pick (except the aforementioned scenario). AKA, Brett Farve and Mark Brunell. But I have that Gut feeling that Ramsey is going to be more like Heath Shuler than Brett Farve and then we're going to be sitting back watching Sage win games like Brunell and think about the QB that could've been.

SS is either going to carry 4 or cut a gator. If he cuts a gator I can see them trying to get a backup job elsewhere or joining the skin coaching staff. I just hope that SS carries all 4. Danny and Shane may know the system better then the young guns, but they lack the talent of the young guns. They can be so helpful mentoring Sage and Ramsey. Having 2 young guns can help us alot the way SS likes to yank a qb. I don't think this is going to be a problem, I think this can only help the team and the 2 guys push each other to be better. Noone can rest on there laurels. They must perform all the time with the other one breathing down there neck. Any thoughts?

I've had a thought about this previously. Anyone remeber QB by committee at Florida. I could be wrong, but didn't someone other than Danny start the National Championship game that SS won? Could he do the same thing here in Washington. Could he keep all 4 and rotate the best 2? There is a reason that SS has been called the "evil genius". Any thoughts?

Danny won the heisman and started against FSU when UF won the national championship.

So to answer your question NO.

As long as he is the coach there will always be a qb controversy b/c he believes like any position player if you aren't getting the job done you should sit. So I can gurantee you he will yank one of the qbs at some point during the season.

He doesn't call it a controversy but rather competition.

At UF he did alternate qb's every snap against FSU and beat them, but it was not for the championship. He did it in some other games too. Mainly if he felt one qb ran a play better than the other he would do it.

I'm rooting for the Spice Man as I have since the beginning of the year and have two young capable QB is a plus IMO as long as we dont overpay for Ramsey.

The current skins proposal 5 to 6 yrs 3 million signing bonus allegedly is a fair deal.

I am in Ramsey's camp at this point as you all probably already know. We are all on the same page as far as wanting the best for our Redskins.

I do not think Spurrier will alternate QB's like he did in college(every other snap at times). I do think he will be quicker to make a change though. The last few year's Norv and Marty were way too slow in even making a change and they did it at the wrong time.

This year at least we do not have to worry about that.

But, by the same token it could really rattle the confidence of our young guns at QB.

Maybe we can keep 4 and the QB's will just have to realize that it is Spurrier's way or no way! Would this be counter-productive at the pro level? What do you think?

I just am concerned though as to how you keep both Ramsey and Sage happy. It would not be prudent to sign Sage as a full-time back-up when you already have Ramsey being mentored for the top spot. But, since Spurrier has always done things his way, the conventional way of thinking may be wrong! It will just be another exciting reason to watch!

If Ramsey doesn't perform, he won't be on the roster. SOS will not keep someone around based on the fact he was the number one pick. If he doesn't think he is better than the other 3 or won't be better in the near future he is out. SOS was brought in to win NOW. Not to plan for the future. I would not be surprised if they kept 4 until one goes down during the season. Doesn't mean that he will have 4 active week to week.

Spurrier can easily win now with Sage this year, prove that his system works in the pro's and answer all questions about his head coaching methods, only to invest everything in Ramsey next year by letting Sage depart. Then we go to find out that Ramsey is nothing more than a 21st century Heath. That would not be a good sight.

Well as I have said on another Skins board, I can not imagine that Rosenfel will be a good enough QB to ever win the job with Spurrier. He was basically a terrible college QB who was drafted on the basis of the SR Bowl week.

Spurrier's history at UF was to find the most efficient QB he had around and make him very productive. I do not see why that would change. Spurrier does not have a history of taking a bad decision maker and turning him into a good decision maker.

Ramsey will not be let go this year. He is already guaranteed the #3 slot. The starting job will be won eventually by one of the 2 Gator proteges, and Sage will be looking for a backup job someplace else. Doesn't the arena league have a team in Iowa?

Sorry Amsterdam...

"If Ramsey doesn't perform he won't be on the roster?"

Ramsey will be on the roster one way or another. He may be on the IR, but he won't be cut. Spurrier not playing favorites is completely different from the ignorance it would take to cut a 1st Rd QB who missed part of training camp.

Danny and Shane will be able to help teach SOS's offense. Sage is never going to be the starter and thus, has no real value. Keep Danny, Shane and Ramsey until near year. Then trade WAY up in the draft to select Grossman and we can move Danny or Shane to the coaching staff.

Then we'll be set. :D

Originally posted by GatorEye

Danny and Shane will be able to help teach SOS's offense. Sage is never going to be the starter and thus, has no real value. Keep Danny, Shane and Ramsey until near year. Then trade WAY up in the draft to select Grossman and we can move Danny or Shane to the coaching staff.

Then we'll be set. :D

GatorEye, you obviously haven't been to any of the practices at training camp. Sage has looked the best of all the qb's, and honestly, I think he will be our starter. To say that he has no real value is an idiotic statement, and you're truly showing bias towards the Florida qb's. Quite honestly, Matthews and Wuerfel looked pretty poor at the practices I witnessed. Sage is by far the more talented qb and most likely will be the starter by the time the season starts.

Originally posted by Skins56

GatorEye, you obviously haven't been to any of the practices at training camp. Sage has looked the best of all the qb's, and honestly, I think he will be our starter. To say that he has no real value is an idiotic statement, and you're truly showing bias towards the Florida qb's. Quite honestly, Matthews and Wuerfel looked pretty poor at the practices I witnessed. Sage is by far the more talented qb and most likely will be the starter by the time the season starts.

Is it just me, or does every poster on every board with "Gator" in their name totally blow off anyone other than Matthews and Wuerffel and proclaim the Gator QB's as Gods of quarterbacking?

If you even suggest that Sage or Ramsey or Joe Montana might be a little better than either one of them, you get your head ripped off.

Of course everyone has their favorites out there, but give me a break here.

Originally posted by Max

Is it just me, or does every poster on every board with "Gator" in their name totally blow off anyone other than Matthews and Wuerffel and proclaim the Gator QB's as Gods of quarterbacking?

If you even suggest that Sage or Ramsey or Joe Montana might be a little better than either one of them, you get your head ripped off.

The term "dittoheads" comes to mind.

I'm hoping Spurrier brings us some Lombardi metal, but I'm also hoping that as fans we don't come off as mindless as some of the Gator fans appear. If I were a fan of another team, that attitude would tick me off more than Spurrier.

Stop this nonsense about waiting to sign Grossman next year. We aren't about to give a bunch of draft choices just to move up and take a Florida QB. S2 will get the best performance out of all the QB's he already has on the roster.

I think we can all agree that Matthews/Wueffrel look a bit week in practices. It's also been stated that those two traditionally have been "game time" players and poor practicers. Additionally, it's not a huge national secret that Sage has a better arm, is bigger and tougher, and with a bit more mobility than the other two. With that said, Sage also hasn't had the benefit of working in the S2 system for four or five years like the FL boys. Obviously, the more you run a system the more confident and successful you become. With additional coaching and "time in the seat", Sage should gain that same confidence and success as the other two. The question is whether he gets that time.

The true question is, why the heck are we talking about a QB controversy after a week of training camp? Might we be better served to wait until we've seen all four of the QB's perform in preseason before we start cutting them from the roster?

And Finally, what's all this Ramsey bashing... and comparison's to Heath Shuler. Shuler simply started for a "top tier" SEC school for four years. He was supposed to have a relatively strong arm, not to mention a big heart. What he didn't have was the moxy needed to succeed in the NFL, not to mention the intelligence to learn Norv's system. Ramsey, on the otherhand, has been touted as an incredibly intelligent QB with a cannon arm. Also, S2 has already commented on the progress Ramsey has made since mini-camp. Ramsey might have been drafted much higher, possibly higher than Carr or Harrington, had he played at a "top tier" school and had the added benefit of talent around him. Let's face it, Tulane isn't a powerhouse in any sport.... hence the lack of powerhouse talent.

Stop the Insanity!!!!!! Wait until after the fifth preseason game before we continue this discussion. I beg.. I plead, that we see no more "QB Controversy" threads on this board until the last week in August.

One more thing, please take the emotion out of the equation when talking about Ramsey's contract situation. He is simply doing what he, along with his greedy agent, is best for him and his new family. In the end he'll get signed and report to camp. Then, he'll continue to get himself comfortable in the offense and let his perceived physical talents shine through. Then... and only then.... will S2 make a decision as to who gives him the best chance to win on the NFL level.

I truly believe S2 when he states that the one who moves the team the best, scores the most points, and makes the least amount of mistakes will be the starter. If that turns out to be Ramsey, Sage, Matthews, or Wueffrel makes no difference this year. Additionally, in the case of Matthews, he believes he is a starter in this league. If he is outplayed, or realizes he's less talented than either Sage, Ramsey, or Danny..... he'll simply make himself available to another team next year. Remember, he's only signed to a one year deal for $750K.

As of right now, Danny W is in the QB derby lead. I was at the camp for 3 days over the weekend and Danny was the most consistant. All three did well and the difference between them is minimal.

An earlier poster compared Sage to Gus. Please don't go there, Gus sucked. I hope the fans don't turn on Ramsey like they did on Heath. I agree that Ramsey is screwing himself by not being there, but what if Heath didn't hold out and get the money, what would he have now? Put yourself in their shoes.

I have yet to hear anything positive about Shane Matthews. From all of the camp reports, it seems like he's a cut man walkin'. All the news about SS being buddy buddy with Sage and DW being sharp when it counts makes me think that Shane will fall under the axe. Much as SS wants to keep four QBs, his constant and pulic fretting about cutting the squad down to size makes this unlikely. Couple that with the fact that SS didn't apparently want Matthews in the first place and it seem like he'll be the first to go. At least, I hope so.

Archived