Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Key To Passing Game Monday Night: Abuse Terrance Newman

Charlie Murphaaay

Aye Daaaarrrknessss! The two McCardell TD's were not against T-New..... He did not victimize Newman at all but if it makes your post better than so be it. BTW, Newman ALWAYS has a big game against the skins. :laugh:

Maybe you're confusing having big games with giving up big plays. He was victimized by Rod "50/50" Gardner last season. What big games are you talking about??

Im not saying this as a Skins fan...I am saying this as a realest. Terrance Newman is overrated. In that 27-0 loss at home (Which I was in attendance) We threw the int's right to him. He didnt have to work for them at all. Since then, Ive watched him get flambeyed and roasted by many other receiver. We should definitely go at him hard!

Maybe you're confusing having big games with giving up big plays. He was victimized by Rod "50/50" Gardner last season. What big games are you talking about??

Game #1 (2003)-- Shuts down Coles in Dallas

Game #2 (2003)-- Shuts down Coles again comes down with THREE INTERCEPTIONS @ Wash.

Game #1 (2004) @ Wash-- Rod Garner catches one TD on him after Brunell made a nice play to buy extra time. Rod Garner "victimized" a rookie who was forced to play due to starter Pete Hunter getting injured for the year in the first quarter. Meanwhile T-New matches up against Coles (remember your big FA signing) for most of the game again and makes Coles a non-factor again.

Game# 2 (2004) T-New shuts down Coles again.. and gets a pick...

So whose confused... I recapped the games and I only really see ONE big play vs. four picks... T. New certainly had his struggles last year.. just NOT AGAINST THE SKINS... Any other questions?

Im not saying this as a Skins fan...I am saying this as a realest. Terrance Newman is overrated. In that 27-0 loss at home (Which I was in attendance) We threw the int's right to him. He didnt have to work for them at all. Since then, Ive watched him get flambeyed and roasted by many other receiver. We should definitely go at him hard!

Sure of course.. everything was gift wrapped.. blah blah blah...

You have to be rated to be overrated. No one talks about Terrance Newman and even Cowboy fans know he has a tendency to be burned. Thing is, he did great his rookie year, then they started to seriously enforce the illegal contact rule which screwed up his game somewhat as he is a very physical corner. On top of that he had no help at all last year in the secondary or in the front seven. No pass rush and two 7th round picks in the secondary don't help, nor does Roy Williams playing a position he isn't to good at.

Terrance will be fine. He had his sophmore slump and will rebound, even though he was never considered an elite player.

He is nowhere near as overrated as Laver Arrington, a man that has never and will never live up to his monstrous hype.

Newman did better than you think against SD... here are the numbers for the whole game:

THROWN AT NEWMAN

18 yards to Parker

incompletion to McCardell

incompletion to McCardell

incompletion to Parker

16 yards to McCardell

9 yards to Caldwell

incompletion to Caldwell

TOTALS: 3-for-7, 43 yards

Skins fans don't like facts.. They'll tell you they're superior despite the outcome of games and seasons..

Game #1 (2003)-- Shuts down Coles in Dallas

Game #2 (2003)-- Shuts down Coles again comes down with THREE INTERCEPTIONS @ Wash.

Game #1 (2004) @ Wash-- Rod Garner catches one TD on him after Brunell made a nice play to buy extra time. Rod Garner "victimized" a rookie who was forced to play due to starter Pete Hunter getting injured for the year in the first quarter. Meanwhile T-New matches up against Coles (remember your big FA signing) for most of the game again and makes Coles a non-factor again.

Game# 2 (2004) T-New shuts down Coles again.. and gets a pick...

So whose confused... I recapped the games and I only really see ONE big play vs. four picks... T. New certainly had his struggles last year.. just NOT AGAINST THE SKINS... Any other questions?

Before you get too excited, His big days have always been against a quarterback other than Brunell. One INT last year against Ramsey and three against our 2nd stringer Hasselbeck.

In 2003 in the first game, both Coles and Jacobs caught a TD. Newman didn't cover either of those guys that game? What was he on the bench?

Before you get too excited, His big days have always been against a quarterback other than Brunell. One INT last year against Ramsey and three against our 2nd stringer Hasselbeck.

In 2003 in the first game, both Coles and Jacobs caught a TD. Newman didn't cover either of those guys that game? What was he on the bench?

Who do you think you're dealin' with over here? Do you think that I don't watch every play of every game? :laugh:

In 2003 first game in Dallas... Ifyani Ohalete got a gift wrapped and I mean gift wrapped pick from a ball that inexplicably bounced up from Terry Glenn straight to him deep in Dallas territory. Ohalete returned the pick to about the Dallas 5. Coles beat LB DEXTER COAKLEY on a fade in the right corner to give the Skins an early lead but they missed the extra point. The other TD was about a 20 yard lob pass over DARREN WOODSON in the right corner to Jacobs which brought the score to 21-12 (two point good). Next!? :applause: BTW Coles (Newmans Man) finished the game with about 4 catches for 27 yards and the 1 TD that I just explained.

Who do you think you're dealin' with over here? Do you think that I don't watch every play of every game? :laugh:

In 2003 first game in Dallas... Ifyani Ohalete got a gift wrapped and I mean gift wrapped pick from a ball that inexplicably bounced up from Terry Glenn straight to him deep in Dallas territory. Ohalete returned the pick to about the Dallas 5. Coles beat LB DEXTER COAKLEY on a fade in the right corner to give the Skins an early lead but they missed the extra point. The other TD was about a 20 yard lob pass over DARREN WOODSON in the right corner to Jacobs which brought the score to 21-12 (two point good). Next!? :applause:

So you're saying Newman doesn't exclusively cover Coles? Then how does he go about shutting him down all those times you claim?

So you're saying Newman doesn't exclusively cover Coles? Then how does he go about shutting him down all those times you claim?

He primarly covers Coles but the fact of the matter is that he was not covering Coles for his lone TD in the two years that T-New has been a Cowboy. The skins have scored exactly 5 TD's over the four games. He was beaten once by Rod Gardner last year @ Fed-Ex. Yes, he was shutting Coles down... Coles hasn't had a big game against Dallas since becoming a redskin..

He primarly covers Coles but the fact of the matter is that he was not covering Coles for his lone TD in the two years that T-New has been a Cowboy. The skins have scored exactly 5 TD's over the four games. He was beaten once by Rod Gardner last year @ Fed-Ex. Yes, he was shutting Coles down... Coles hasn't had a big game against Dallas since becoming a redskin..

Yeah but we both know that Hasselbeck had a 0.0 QB rating the next game and that Coles had one TD all last year, so it's really not a strong point to bring up in defending Newman. Seems like Coles was shut down 15 games last year by just about everyone, doesn't it?

Yeah but we both know that Hasselbeck had a 0.0 QB rating the next game and that Coles had one TD all last year, so it's really not a strong point to bring up in defending Newman. Seems like Coles was shut down 15 games last year by just about everyone, doesn't it?

All good points...Just addressing T-Newman's stats vs. the skins that's all. I agree that T-New fairing well vs. the skins and Coles is not really saying much at all. We'll see what happens Mon. Night.. your new receivers are very quick and fast. :cool:

BTW.. three picks contribute to a 0.0 rating.. :cool:

I did see him in game 1, but not through camp and preseason. I can't dispute that he may have a good year this year, but if the past couple of seasons are an indicator - let's just say you won't want to leave him on an island in the secondary.

He's played 2 seasons.

His rookie year he was a Pro Bowl alternate.

And he struggled most of last year on a very poor D, but turned it around towards the end of the season.

You realize neither TD catch came on Newman or Henry right? 1 came with a Zone coverage where a LB was supposed to chip the WR and another LB take coverage. The LB never chipped so he quickly got past coverage before it got there. On the second TD another Zone coverage. The FS and LB got tangled with each other. If your looking for a weakness its the Zone D not Newman

Thanks for the breakdown. I'm sure you were just as rational on the 4th down pass to get San Diego in the red zone at the end of the game. Funny too, how Newman doesnt suck anymore. That's not what I heard on sports radio last season. Let me clue you in. He still sucks, and we will beat him for a touch on Monday night. HTTR!

:dallasuck

Stop being so civil. Now what are we gonna argue about? :dallasuck

:laugh: :laugh: At the end of the day we're all just fans hoping our beloved team will win. On Monday night I'll be screaming, cursing, drinking, and yelling enough. I'll probably lose 5 pounds Mon. night. I'm getting to old to work myself up all week. Gotta save some for the game.. :)

Newman has confidence problems. Once you get him going with certain routes, you can goad him into anything. Keenan's TD's may not have come against Newman in particular, but he had his way with him all day even when the ball wasn't on the mark.

Henry "looked" like a shutdown corner against SD, but that's likely to continue. Romeo may have kept him if he'd played like he did last Sunday, on a consistent basis.

Newman has confidence problems. Once you get him going with certain routes, you can goad him into anything. Keenan's TD's may not have come against Newman in particular, but he had his way with him all day even when the ball wasn't on the mark.

Henry "looked" like a shutdown corner against SD, but that's likely to continue. Romeo may have kept him if he'd played like he did last Sunday, on a consistent basis.

Did you even watch the game? Newman was hardly thrown at. Henry wasn't a shut down player in SD, he made a lot of plays (broke up 5 passes, an INT), but as his tackle numbers would indicate a lot of passes were completed to his side, though to his credit he kept most plays in front of him. Here was McCardell's chart:

Catch for 9 yards, going over the middle against a zone

Incomplete pass (poor throw)

Incomplete pass (Newman breaks it up)

Catch for 5 yards, on Henry (2 penalties on play were decline, one was on Newman)

Catch for 12 yards, pushed out by Singleton in I believe zone coverage

Incomplete pass (broken up by Henry)

Catch for 20 yards, TD (ran past Ware who didn't chip him, caught the ball inbetween both safeties)

Catch for 11 yards, on Henry

Catch for 16 yards, tackled by Roy Williams (don't exclusively remember the play, but I believe he went up the middle against a zone)

Catch for 17 yards, TD (Brees scrambled, Keith Davis gave up deep contain and wiped out Henry on the coverage)

Catch for 16 yards (beat Newman)

Catch for 17 yards, on Henry

Incomplete pass broken up by Henry

Incomplete pass broken up by Nguyen (then Henry or Roy flipped his ass)

Total: 14 intended, 9 catches, 112 yards, 1 catch for 17 yards were on Newman, both TDs were due to poor play from zone/safeties

Archived