Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sept. 16: Joe Gibbs

Die Hard

Is there such a thing as a prototype coach? Is there a way to determine whether a potential coach will be successful? Lombardi was a great coach but his assistant coaches who became head coaches were busts. You have examples of great assistant coaches like say Norv Turner, et al becoming head coaches and they turn out to be busts. The question is: What goes into being a successful head coach? What personality traits appear to help? Is it possible to study all the successful head coaches of the past -- Lombardi, Allen, you, Walsh, Billick, Paul Brown, George Halas, **** Vermeil, et al and come up with a template that can serve a a guide in selecting a coach? Can the same be done to find assistant coaches? How much is based on just friendship?

RobJanis

P.S. -- Looking forward to another bandwagon season.

Mr. Joe Gibbs,

First of all, I would like to say thank you for coming back and taking the Redskins in consideration because we definately need someone like you to coach the team. No one could ever replace you as coach! My question to you Mr. Gibbs is how do you keep the team motivated and positive with so much negative energy coming from the media and etc?

Of course, nobody wants to say "Quarterback controversy" in this town, after all what we've been through in the past decade, but of course Patrick Ramsey's indecisions and mistakes in the preseason contrasted with Mark Brunell's obvious comfort in this offense makes it undeniable. I imagine that this is probably one of the main questions being posted, but how long are we going to keep Ramsey in, should he perform similarly to Brunell in the beginning of last season? Nobody wants to see another losing season, especially the staff and players, and least of all the fans.

MR. Gibbs,

as a die hard redskins fan i know that there is a squabble out there about who should be starting qb. i would really like to see either brunell,(since snyder paid so much for him) or campbell(since he was a first rounder). ramsey is a good back up but not much of a starter. why do you feel he is the qb to go with this year?

Hi coach and thanks for giving us the opportunity to communicate directly with you through the use of this forum and if there's any question please let me assure you that we appreciate more than words can describe.

Now for my question... Playcalling. How would you grade your offensive coaching performance in regards to playcalling. In a nationally televised game between two unnamed teams recently, one team's coaching staff was criticised over and over again for lackluster performance in regards to playcalling. I would really like to hear how you think your team's playcalling has been and what has to happen for it to get better? For example do you feel that you need to develop trust with some of your new offensive players in order to call certain plays?

Thanks again and good luck this season coach!

Kevin

Coach Gibbs,

I have a few questions, first I would Like to know Why are we like most teams in the league running the play clock down to 1 sec before the snap? I understand using clock, but we do it on every offensive possession, Doesn't it make it eaiser to time us as far as teams blitzing us that way? Also I hear you speaking about guys who are core Redskins often, Do you see Clinton,as one as well? I think he's a tremendous leader. And last are you planning on finishing your contract out here...WIN, lose , or Draw? We believe in you , and even if it starts out rough ,We have faith you will get it turned Around.

thxs

DCcat....who now lives in ATL, with R.C. Thielemann...we talk often......

BEAT dallas..

Coach,

What are some of the elements of your life outside of sports - lessons gained from family and faith - that have helped you through difficulty over all your years in competitive sports?

Thanks from a Redskins fan born in 1982.

BD

Coach Joe Gibbs:

First let me say how good it was to see you once again wearing the burgundy hat on Sunday. The black one is nice, but the burgundy one IS Joe Gibbs. I hope you stick with it, Coach. My question is regarding the play-calling protocol. In light of the Washington Post article last week, could you just clarify who is actually calling the plays? Is it Jack Burns, with you having veto power, or is he -- along with Don Breaux -- giving you suggestions throughout the game, with you actually calling the plays? Thanks, Coach. Good luck in Dallas on Monday!

Thanks for doing this coach,

What's up with the White Jerseys? How come we never wear the burgundy ones?? Also, I know Clinton said the dark socks made him feel faster and I noticed you did wear them in preseason, how come the team went back to the striped socks?

Coach Gibbs,

I have a hard time believing that Brunell underthrew everything last year because of a hamstring injury rather than just not having an arm. If Brunell Falters again the this year, will you wait as long as you did last year to give him the hook. It would only be fair.

Thanks

Coach,

Is it your position that Mark Brunell underthrew everything last year because of a bad hamstring. I thought with Ramsey starting last year, we would have won a few more games, because his ability to get the ball to player over ten yards away. If Brunell Falters again the season, will you give him the hook as you did ramsey, or give him several games to prove himself.

I love you coach, but im very confused.

Max

Coach Gibbs,

Why make the switch to Brunell after just one game? Has Ramsey really performed that poorly in practice/in tape for you to show this little faith of him? Does he have a future with the Washington Redskins, and if not, can he be a starter in this league?

Also, how soon do you think Campbell will be ready to start? Is the plan for him to start next year?

How does the team expect to score points against a Dallas defense that looked very impressive against the Chargers?

What are you doing in practice to help minimize the penalties/turnovers that continuously seem to plague us?

And finally, are you convinced that Gregg Williams will stay here long to succeed you, whenever that time comes?

Thank you deeply for your time. Good luck the rest of the way.

Considering you gave Brunell half a season to work through his injury and low production last year, how do you personally rationalize sitting Ramsey after only three offensive possesions in the first game? I'm having a really difficult time squaring this move with everything I've come to know about you as a person and a coach -- help me get the bad taste out of my mouth... please.

Mr Gibbs.

Thanks for coming back. I have a few questions to ask. It seems as though when Patrick ramsey is in the game you gave him a short hook. I would have loved to see him back as it seems he is in the best interest to stretch the field as a QB. With Brunell He just does not seem to be able to do that. I know you dont like the qb making mistakes, but as a fan we alll want to see a dynamic offense and Brunell does not seem to be able to do that. He seems more like a manager someone who appeases the coach and tries not to lose.

Last year you gave Brunell 9 games in those 9 games Brunell went 3-6 ramsey had had 7 games in wich he went 3-4. I just read where you made the switch back to Mark I for one feel that this might not be in the best intertest of the team with brunell seeming like he cant throw a deep ball.

Is the hook gonna be short on brunell if the losses mount if even if he plays well and we dont win.

ALso it is a general rule that even you went by your first time here. that an injury is not suposed to unseat the starter. now in my observation of the game Mark did nothing to win the game and Ramsey should still be the starter.

Last part Mark struggles or gets injured Wil ramsey really want to play his hardet knowing that there is anther qb looking oover his shoulder?

Mr. Gibbs,

I just want to say first and foremost thanks for taking the time to talk to us fans! We appriciate it.

Now, I'm not going to lie and say I even come close to agreeing with the decision to bench Ramsey after just one quarter, but that's the decision that was made and I pray it works out. I just want to know what you think is wrong with our offense. We struggled last year passing and I was under the impression all offseason and throughout the preseason that the focus this year was to improve our passing game. The decision to bench Ramsey seems contrary to that impression. We acquired Moss and Patten in the offseason to stretch the field, and throughout the off and preseasons (and even in yesterday's game), from what I could see, it seems the chemistry between them and Ramsey was growing and we were going to do just that. Stretch the field. Now with this decision, the two new wide outs will have to gain that chemistry with another QB with which until yesterday they had no live game reps with. This is going to take time, I just want to hear from you why you think the wait is necessary. I also believe a lot of the problems the Skins have had in the past was due to instability at the QB position, do you feel that that's not an issue?

In regarding starting Brunell; was the turnover issue the only issue you had with Ramsey? Other than the turnover, I think he played fairly well. I ask because in today's NFL, turnovers are inevitable....so when Brunell has a turnover or two, will the QB carousel continue? If the carousel won't continue, then why bench Ramsey after just one that was totally his fault while Brunell (which was allowed 7 turnovers last year before being replaced) continues on and gets a chance to redeem himself? How would you respond to fans who see this as not playing the best QB but as favoritism?

Also, are we looking at anyone specifically as a backup to Brunell (rarely do QBs last 16 games) or do you feel Campbell is ready?

Coach Gibbs:

As a QB, Mark Brunell is a dead as KFC. Your decision to replace your starter with him after one rocky start is not only exceedingly precipitous but reminds many of us of your predecessor's affinty for the ridiculous Danny Wuerffel.

:doh:

The rookie Jason Campell is surely not ready to put into the position of having to start (and to put him in that position would not be doing justice to his abilities), and you now have alienated you only credible starter.

If the first half of this year goes the way the first half of '04 did-- and because of the performance of Mark Brunell-- then perhaps YOU need to be benched. The defense of Greg Williams is the only aspect of your team that distinguishes it from the rest of the 2nd tier teams that litter the league; I suspect there are some who reckon Mw Williams deserves to be Coach.

Archived