Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

QB debate, outside view

redman100

Since this is my first post, I hope you will bear with me for a moment. I have been following the great QB debate with some interest for a few weeks now and thought I might add a couple of comments. Sometimes it is preferable to get some outside input and see what others are thinking about the same issues mentioned on the forum.

ESPN and NFL.com have some good articles that talk about the skins and Mark Brunell and Patrick Ramsey in particular.

Phim Simms, formerly of the Giants, wrote a piece you can find at this address:

http://nfl.com/news/story/8842074

Here is an excerpt:

Sept. 13, 2005) -- One week complete in the NFL season and we've already got one team switching quarterbacks for reasons other than injury, and another team that has allowed an injury to its quarterback fuel a quarterback controversy.

"Having benched Patrick Ramsey after one week (despite starting 1-0), it's pretty apparent that the Washington Redskins must have wanted Mark Brunell to be the starter to begin with. But because they had already named Ramsey the starter, they figured they'd go ahead and give him a start and see what happens.

I haven't followed the Redskins situation that closely, but from everything I've seen and heard from people around the NFL, it was clear Ramsey was going to have a short leash. And it may have been one of the shortest leashes I've seen in the NFL -- ever. It was almost like a fan reaction, booing after one bad game and clamoring for the backup.

But I do know this: Brunell has been a very steady performer in the NFL during his years as a starting quarterback for the Jaguars. He was not great last year with the Redskins, but it was after a year of being hurt, being with a new team and a new system, and being with an offense that wasn't very good to begin with. So, of course, he was not going to look great. I think with the physical rest he's had, having played so little the last two seasons, and with a year under his belt in Washington, you'll see an NFL quarterback who still has plenty of arm, lots of experience and enough talent to get the job done. No question about that."

There is another article I will send a little later that quotes highly placed personnel directors and scouts from various NFL clubs that agreed with Gibbs decision, and more importantly, some thought that Mark's play during the post season compared to Ramsey's definately made Brunell the better choice. Additionally, some believed that the 'Skins waited too long to make the switch and should have done it sooner to give Brunell the chance to work with the first team.

So, for those of you incensed about Patrick's benching, just remember, others besides Gibbs and his team belive it was the best choice.

So, for those of you incensed about Patrick's benching, just remember, others besides Gibbs and his team belive it was the best choice.

Would these be the same "others" in the NFL that, when asked where the Skins would have been at the end of the season had Ramsey started instead of Brunell, said "In the playoffs"??...

I do thank you for the info and the links, tho...I want to hear what others have to say about the whole situation, even if their opinions aren't exactly gospel.

Would these be the same "others" in the NFL that, when asked where the Skins would have been at the end of the season had Ramsey started instead of Brunell, said "In the playoffs"??...

I do thank you for the info and the links, tho...I want to hear what others have to say about the whole situation, even if their opinions aren't exactly gospel.

In fairness to Simms, he did acknowledge the poor play from Brunell last year in making his point.

In fairness to Simms, he did acknowledge the poor play from Brunell last year in making his point.

I guess I was referring to the "highly placed personnel directors and scouts from various NFL clubs" that apparently agree with starting Brunell...just reminded me of an article last season after Ramsey beat the Giants and 49ers and almost beat the Eagles, saying that "highly placed personnel directors and scouts from various NFL clubs" were claiming that the Skins would have been in the playoffs had Ramsey been the QB instead of Brunell...

Honestly, as a Cowboys fan(keep reading please), I think that Ramsey is your best QB. Brunell is over the hill, but he still scares me for this game for some reason, and Campbell is a ways off from being a starter in this league.

Your organization has done nothing but jerk Ramsey around. The kid has shown flashes of potential, but with an offensive line that gives him decent protection, and a complete lack of targets in all the years he's been here, what do you expect. You might as well throw those years under Spurrier away, since his Fun N Gun doesn't work at this level. Trung Candidate is not a viable option at RB. The kid needs a fair shot.

I still think that Campbell was a wasted pick.

The non-Redskin fans at my job are split on this. One guy, a 49ers fan, thought it was an obvious move. So did the Eagle fan, who couldn't figure out why I wasn't thrilled about it.

One Dallas fan thought Gibbs was a liar and a fake and that this treatment of Ramsey has ruined our season. The other Dallas fan didn't know what I was talking about, as he hadn't watched any football this weekend and wasn't up on current football events.

A little un-scientific study from my office. :)

Archived