Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OT : Is this Obesity or is it Stupidity ?

Mickalino

I vote stupidity, over obesity on this one.

This man is suing McDonalds because someone put a gun to his head and forced him to eat french fries all his life. He's also suing KFC because they promised him that eating deep-fried chicken every day would guarantee him a long, healthy life. Any moron who claims he was misled by fast food chains deserves what he gets

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=571&ncid=751&e=1&u=/nm/20020726/hl_nm/fastfood_dc

NY Man Sues, Claiming Fast Food Ruined His Health

Fri Jul 26, 5:43 PM ET

By Gunna Dickson

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A 5-foot-10-inch, 272-pound man has sued four major fast food chains, claiming their fare contributed to his obesity, heart disease and diabetes, his attorney said on Friday.

The class-action lawsuit, filed in the Bronx Supreme Court on July 24, is seeking undetermined compensatory damages against McDonald's, Wendy's, Kentucky Fried Chicken and Burger King on behalf of 56-year-old maintenance worker Caesar Barber and others.

The lawsuit, which estimates that millions of Americans could be included in the claim, also seeks to have the companies label individual products with fat, salt, cholesterol and other dietary content as well as to warn users of the health effects.

New York attorney Samuel Hirsch, who is representing Barber, said consumers are not getting adequate warning about foods that could cause obesity, diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure and elevated cholesterol levels.

"Fast food chains failed to disclose the contents in terms of calories, fat grams and sodium. Even when posted, the information is not easily understandable to the public," said Hirsch.

A National Restaurant Association executive said the lawsuit "gives frivolous a bad name."

"This lawsuit, which solely makes restaurants responsible for obesity in America, swallows a simplistic notion," said Steven Anderson, president and CEO of the Washington-based association. "It is a blatant attempt to capitalize on the recent news stories on the growing rates of obesity."

LABELS FOR ROCKET SCIENTISTS?

Barber told MSNBC he didn't realize fried food was bad for him until three years ago, and that he had been eating fast food for decades because it was convenient.

"I didn't find out how bad it was until 1999," he said. "I ate a lot because I was by myself."

Hirsch, who accompanied his client on the MSNBC show, said they particularly wanted better labeling for the "real offenders--the Big Macs and Big Whoppers." Now, he said "you have to be a rocket scientist" to be able to read labels that he said were deliberately designed to be confusing.

McDonald's spokesman Walt Riker called the claims "ridiculous," saying: "Our menu features choice and variety with lots of options for consumers."

In Miami, a spokesman for Burger King, which was bought by Texas Pacific group on Thursday, declined to comment as the matter is under litigation, but referred calls to the National Restaurant Association.

"There are 858,000 restaurants and food service outlets in the country serving a variety of food that will meet anyone's specific dietary needs," said the association's Anderson. "The nutritional information usually appears on a chart at the right of the counter and is as easily understood as any nutrition label you would see at the retail store."

"The important thing to remember is that there is a certain amount of personal responsibility we all have... the issues of obesity and nutrition are much more complicated than this and involves factors such as genetics, medical conditions and the level of physical activity," Anderson added.

Guest SkinsHokie Fan

Absolutley riddiculous and absurd. I guess I should sue all the candy makers for making zits pop up on my face the last few years. Ugh stupid stupid people that have money hungary lawyers. Lawyers are the one thing that destroy wealth. They simply steal it unlike business people who attempt to create it

:cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

I can't believe the beer and liquor companies haven't been sued yet. Deaths from drunk driving accidents and the myriad diseases brought on by alcohol consumption - with no warning labels. Not to mention the trauma of waking up hungover with a "two bagger" next to you:puke:

Well, there's about a 99.99% chance that the case will get thrown out and this loser will be out of some big money.

Well, I thought that about the case where the woman sued McD's over the hot cup of coffee spilling and burning her legs. Ya know, the case where SHE put the cup of coffee between HER OWN legs while driving and spilled it herself.......... But it was McD's fault because the coffee was hot. Any bets if it had been cold there would of been a complaint about serving cold coffee?

And I thought it about the case where a woman was washing her baby in a bathroom sink. When the phone rang she left the baby in the sink. With the hot water. While she was chattng it up on the phone, the baby was getting second degree burns. (And in risk of drowning if you think of it.) But it wasn't her fault. She sued the landlord and the water heater manufacturer because it was an OLD water heater and didn't have a cautionary statement on it that said "CAUTION HOT WATER CAN RESULT IN BURNS."

This is absolutely ridiculoous!!

I'll lose respect for the legal system if this glutton wins anything!

What's next? People suing Compaq or Dell because of Carpal-Tunnel Syndrome? People suing Lifestyles or Trojans because the rubber broke?

File this one under "frivolous lawsuits"

Dont be surprised because trial lawyers looking for big bucks will target Big Beer the same as the did big tobacco.

But write now the Bill being passed for CEOs to be accountable will only help to line the lawyers pockets.

This suit should be tossed out for being frivolous but NY having liberals that are mentally challenged as they do in Cali may actually have it go all the way to the damages phase:doh:

I'd use neither "Stupid" or "Obese" but SCARY!

Unlike some of you, I think this case actually has legs and the cases mentioned by Montilar shows that stupid stuff like this can actually make it to a court room.

I wouldn't be suprised to see this guy settle in exchange for his silence.

As Rush calls it, "Entittlement Politics". Heaven forbid somebody should be required to "carry their own water", in other words, be responsible for your own actions.

Whatever. :doh:

Originally posted by Uptown Skins

This is absolutely ridiculoous!!

I'll lose respect for the legal system if this glutton wins anything!

What's next? People suing Compaq or Dell because of Carpal-Tunnel Syndrome? People suing Lifestyles or Trojans because the rubber broke?

File this one under "frivolous lawsuits"

Suing one's parents because they did not warn you that living was bad for your health :)

Archived