Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DL Daryl Gardener visiting Washington

smith22

Redskins | Coming To Town - posted at KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)

22:18 PT: According to the Washington Post, the Washington Redskins will be having free agent DL Daryl Gardener in for a visit Thursday. "He's flying in there tonight," said agent Neil Schwartz, who declined further comment.

What do you guys think about your team going after Daryl Gardener? A lot of people have him tagged as a head case now.

The foremost reason for delays on going any further on Gardener is his back injury recovery and lost time in camp recently.

If this turns out to be a misnomer and a case where Miami just needed an excuse to unload him for a more favorable solution in something, then he could be an asset. Otherwise his risk is not compatible with the Skin's needs.

The money for Gardner and Ramsey while from the same general pot would be coming from two places. The Rookie pool dictates what Ramsey will get. They've agreed on money. The problem is that he wants to double his $$$ the minute he becomes the starter. Spurrier might start him for one game this season which could trigger that sucker.

"It doesn't bother me at all because he's a rookie and these guys are a lot ahead of him right now anyway," Spurrier said. "These three guys are sort of battling it out, and it's really just giving them some extra snaps right now."

--- I love this quote. It's a nice kick in the arse. :notworthy

Originally posted by Bufford

The problem is that he wants to double his $$$ the minute he becomes the starter. Spurrier might start him for one game this season which could trigger that sucker.

I don't think so. The media reports I've read indicate the debate over starting incentives is focused on years 3/4.

ASF

WTEM,WJLA(abc7) WUSA 9 with Atkinson are saying the agent agrees with the skins proposed contract but want escalators that can double and even triple his salary once he becomes entrenched as the starter.

Pays to not be geographically challenged.

Originally posted by NavyDave

Pays to not be geographically challenged.

Fair enough; could be I'm wrong. But this is what I read from the 7/24 WP:

Sexton and Ramsey are willing to agree to such a "slotted" bonus and relatively modest salaries, sources said. But, according to sources, they also want Ramsey's salary to jump to about $3 million in the third or fourth season if he is the starter, or they want a shorter contract so they can negotiate a new deal for Ramsey after a few years.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A53195-2002Jul23.html

Gardner visited Houston and I guess they didn't like him at all. Apparently, he ripped the kid a new one that picked him up at the airport (he was early - the kid was on time).

If I'm Washington, I think I take a pass here. If an expansion team doesn't want the risk, Washington should really steer away.

Injury risk + attitude problem = big trouble.

Posse81:

I guess if the price is right, why not take a risk? But I think he will be looking for more money than the Skins should part with on a risk. Certainly you need help on the DL but you don't need a guy that will be injured or a cancer on the team.

While I'm kinda weary about signing him because of Houston, I heard that he went to Detroit and they just went ga-ga over him. I think that he may have never seriously been in Houston's plans so they just decided that he wasnt worth it. I've never heard them in the running for Sam Adams or any of the other recently signed DT's, so I wouldn't expect them to be there.

Then you also have to look at the fact that tehy may have been signing him to come in and be a starter. At most he may compete with Santana for the starting spot, but he's basically going to be a backup/situational player to come in and help keep the other guys healthy. So as long as he's not a cancer, I say sign him.

To have them go ga-ga over him in Detroit of all places is not what I would call a compliment in the NFL world. Detroit and Cincinatti are tied for first place in the contest of the a@@hole of the NFL (and the country for that matter.) :laugh:

I say go for him if we can get him cheaply. Otherwise, screw em' and sign a guard or someone else who comes our way.

If we can get Gardner in at a modest salary that won't effect our salary cap or our ability to resign our important players I say do it. We have enough veterans in the lockerroom that can keep Gardner in-line if necessary. They can always beat the crap out of him if it becomes a problem.

For the most part I've been very much against signing Gardener. But now I'm thinking, if we can get him at a cap friendly price, and not tie much up into him, why not? He does have some baggage, but when's he's healthy he is one of the better run stuffers in the league.

And right now we're not in a position to be very picky when it comes to both the offensive and defensive lines.

So I guess I am in favor of signing him now, but I am still very concerned about the baggage he brings along. And again, he needs to come at a very decent price. I just don't want to see him sign a nice deal and end up riding the bench all season with a bad back.

Originally posted by blakman211

While I'm kinda weary about signing him because of Houston, I heard that he went to Detroit and they just went ga-ga over him. I think that he may have never seriously been in Houston's plans so they just decided that he wasnt worth it. I've never heard them in the running for Sam Adams or any of the other recently signed DT's, so I wouldn't expect them to be there.

Then you also have to look at the fact that tehy may have been signing him to come in and be a starter. At most he may compete with Santana for the starting spot, but he's basically going to be a backup/situational player to come in and help keep the other guys healthy. So as long as he's not a cancer, I say sign him.

The Houston thing isn't a big deal. Their plan from the start is to build a solid foundation of young players. I believe they didn't take anyone over 30 in the expansion draft. Gardener is 29, so I think they feel they would rather build with youth, and they don't need the baggage that Gardener brings.

Well, Smith and Dotson cannot even pass their physicals at this point. Our offensive line coach basically called our interior line a joke. Things are not looking good in the trenches. I was against signing Gardener, but our options are becoming more limited. We need a run-stuffer and I guess every professional team is entitled to have its one "Rodman type" player. I just don't want to see him in a wedding dress the week we play the Cowboys. Give him a chance, but at the right price. We need a lot of help on the offensive line! Why did we draft Betts?

To me, if the money is even close to reasonable, you make an effort at getting Gardener but you do so with the understanding that he's NOT going to be an every down player. He's simply going to be a 30 snap guy worked in to keep everyone fresh and his back strong.

If we add Gardner at a reasonable cost, it is a no brainer type of move in my view. But, the cost is the key. I'm not sinking any big bonus dollars into him in case he fails and we need to cut him. At a smallish contract, we should look at him. One with incentives is fine. One with much of anything by way of guarantee is not fine.

Archived