Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Westbrook and Agent break off talks w/ Iggs F.O.

TerpsEagles

He'll play all of this year for 1.5 million and unless Moats is ready next year, he'll be franchised the year after.

It is in his best interest to sign a deal somewhere in the middle. He's been offered huge money for a back that has been injured every year he has been in the league.

Lest we forget Buckhalter didn't sign a huge contract before he tore up his knee......the first time.

WB, I still think they'll get something done this year personally. IMO, this is just a situation that could have been avoided. The Eagles FO is set in its ways. Most of the time they are dead on right. Sometimes, like this, it can be frustrating to see how they operate. This will change nothing as far as how they play this year.

He is the Eagles best weapon...better than McNabb and TO. Looks like the Eagles don't want to share any of the salaray cap. This is why TO decided to take a public route...the Eagles FO screws players behind closed doors.

Westbrook is a gem...too bad the Eagles don't realize that.

Westbrook cuts off contract negotiations with Eagles

DAN GELSTON

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/football/12591970.htm

Associated Press

PHILADELPHIA - Pro Bowl running back Brian Westbrook cut off contract talks with the Philadelphia Eagles on Thursday because the two sides are far apart on a long-term extension.

"Me and my agent have told the Eagles' management that we're no longer interested in talking to them as far as the contract situation," Westbrook said Thursday. "We don't feel as though we've received a proposal from them that really represents the value that I bring to this team and my market value. I think that in the last 2 1/2, 3 years that I've been here, I've brought a lot to this team."

Westbrook, talking for the first time since reporting to training camp after a one-week holdout, had been seeking a long-term deal after signing a one-year restricted free agent offer for $1.43 million.

"It's just frustrating for me to come to work every day knowing that in the back of my mind I feel kind of disrespected by the offer that I continue to get from the Eagles," he said.

In his three-year career, Westbrook has rushed for 1,618 yards and 10 touchdowns and caught 119 passes for 1,121 yards and 10 TDs.

"I run the ball, I catch the ball, and for this team I am very valuable," Westbrook said. "I think any time a defense or any other team comes in here ... one of the players that they have to stop when they come play the Philadelphia Eagles is Brian Westbrook."

Westbrook skipped the Eagles' post-draft minicamp and sat out the first week of training camp. He switched agents, from Anthony Agnone to Fletcher Smith, who also represents Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb, and was looking for a five-year deal before the start of the season.

Westbrook said the numbers are far apart and two sides have never really come close to reaching an agreement.

The versatile Westbrook is coming off a breakout season in which he led the team with 1,515 total yards and was tops among NFL running backs with 73 catches for 703 yards and six touchdowns, despite sitting out the last two regular-season games. Westbrook was a key part of the Eagles' trip to the Super Bowl and caught a 10-yard touchdown pass in the 24-21 loss to the Patriots.

"I'm still going to come out here and be the best running back I can be," he said.

Bad day for Eagles fans...I believe I predicted this, but was told countless times that the team would get it done. Hmmm....guess I was right and others were wrong. The Eagles FO treating their best offensive threat like ham sandwich...and now we'll hear Eagles fans start to discount his value to the team as demonstrated in this Philadelphia based Comcast story...so sad...

Westbrook Feels 'Disrespected' by Offer

by Andy Schwartz

ComcastSportsNet.com

http://philadelphia.comcastsportsnet.com/view_content_0p.asp?ID=15071

Brian Westbrook trumped Donovan McNabb and Terrell Owens.

On a day when everyone expected to focus on McNabb’s rebuttal to Owens’ ‘I love Donovan’ declaration, Westbrook announced that he has broken off negotiations with the team.

Westbrook has not spoken to the media since he ended his weeklong holdout and reported to training camp. On Thursday, four days before the Eagles are to open their season on Monday Night Football against the Falcons in a rematch of last season’s NFC Championship, he decided to break his silence.

Before taking any questions, the fourth-year running back offered an explanation for his unscheduled press conference. Westbrook had hoped that remaining silent would improve his stance with the team and enable the to two sides to work out a deal.

“I’ve seen how the Eagles have done things in the past and how they’ve gone about their business as far as other players talking about their contracts in the media. I felt, and my agent felt, it would be better for us to handle things behind closed doors,” Westbrook said. “But at this point, I chose to break my silence and get things out in the open about my situation.

“In the last 2½-to-3 years that I’ve been here, I’ve brought a lot to this team. I do a lot of things – I run the ball and I catch the ball. For this team, I am very valuable. You can talk to any of the [opposing] defensive coordinators or players, one of the players that they have to stop when the come play the Philadelphia Eagles is Brian Westbrook.

“I don’t feel as though, and my agent doesn’t feel as though, the proposal that they have offered me comes close to those things that I bring to this team. At this point, we’ve decided to shut down negotiations because we haven’t received anything close to the number that we’re looking for.

“I’m still going to come out here and be the best running back that I can be. It’s just tough and frustrating for me to come to work every day knowing that in the back of my mind that I feel disrespected by the offer that I continue to get from the Eagles.”

Although talks are shut down for now, they’re not finished for good. Westbrook said he does not regret signing the team’s one-year, $1.43 million tender and that he is still open to playing for the Eagles next season. He’s just putting the ball in their court.

“Until the Eagles give me a proposal that really shows that they want me to stay here, our contract talks are no longer,” Westbrook said.

Westbrook entered this off-season as a restricted free agent. After skipping the team’s first off-season minicamp, he signed the one-year tender and participated in the second minicamp. At that point, he also replaced his agent with Fletcher Smith, who also represents McNabb.

About a month later however, Westbrook did a 180 and held out of training camp for a week. Because of an obscure clause in the collective bargaining agreement, Westbrook, had he not reported by Aug. 8, would have lost a year of service in the league – and thus his right to become an unrestricted free agent following the season.

Last season, Westbrook earned his first trip to the Pro Bowl after compiling a team-high 1,515 yards from scrimmage and nine touchdowns. He averaged 6.1 yards-per-touch, more than anyone in the league with at least 200 touches, and was the only player with over 700 rushing yards and 700 receiving yards.

Westbrook is also a potential threat on special teams. Two years ago, he returned two punt returns for touchdowns, one of which was an 84-yarder against the Giants that is credited for turning around the team’s season.

The Eagles have offered Westbrook a five-year deal worth between $20 and $25 million, including a signing bonus of in the neighborhood of $9 million. Westbrook wouldn’t divulge the difference in the Eagles’ offer and the amount he wishes to be paid.

“They are far apart,” he said. “When you’re talking $3-4-5 million, that is a big difference.”

By failing to sign the Eagles’ long-term deal, Westbrook is taking a significant risk. Although he will be able to test the market after this season, a major-injury could substantially damage his market value.

“At this point, I don’t have a choice,” he said. “I wouldn’t feel proper taking an offer that is much less than market value. I wouldn’t feel comfortable doing that.”

Westbrook reportedly rejected that deal because he prefers one comparable to the one the Raiders gave free agent running back Lamont Jordan, who signed a five-year, $27 million deal that included a $7 million signing bonus.

The Saints recently signed Deuce McAllister to an eight-year, $50.1 million contract. LaDainian Tomlinson, who received an 8-year, $60 million deal from San Diego, is the highest paid back in the league.

Westbrook feels he is “close to being one of the top running backs in the game,” but there are two key differences between he and McAllister and Tomlinson.

First, unlike McAllister and Tomlinson, Westbrook wasn’t a first-round pick. The Eagles picked him in the third round, and as a result he received a signing bonus of $423,000.

“I was a third-round pick. I wasn’t a first-round pick. I didn’t get $12 million to sign. I got chump change to sign,” Westbrook said.

Now, he wants to make up for lost time. Unfortunately, in the NFL, that rarely happens. A player’s salary is always affected determined by his draft position.

“I’ve been here for three years,” Westbrook said. “I’ve contributed to a Super Bowl team, [one] that has played in [four] NFC Championship games. At this point in my career, I have to find somewhere I can make some money.”

Second, Westbrook doesn’t have a 1,000-yard rushing season on his resume. Last season, he rushed for a career-high 812 yards. But that is a result of the Eagles’ pass-first, run-second offense. Westbrook had only 177 carries last season, averaging 4.6 yards per.

“Other running backs are getting 300-something carries. It’s tough to compare,” said Westbrook, who reiterated that he is a threat to score every time he touches the ball. “If you ask any defensive coordinator out there, ‘Do you have to watch Brian Westbrook because if he catches a pass in the flat, or he gets a little open space in the running game, will he score?’ I guarantee he says yes.”

More joy from the city of brotherly love....and the 'company man.' These aren't my questions... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The Eagles will be rolling Monday, McNabb says

Quarterback Donovan McNabb spoke to reporters in anticipation of the Eagles regular season opener on Monday against the Atlanta Falcons. He also discussed wide receiver Terrell Owens. Below is an excerpt provided by the Philadelphia Eagles.

On whether he is glad the regular season is here:

"I am. We've been anticipating this to come around for the longest time. We've used the preseason as a teaching tool to put something on film to be able to watch it and learn from our mistakes. And hopefully we can go out on Monday Night and just play error-free football."

On whether he was surprised to hear what running back Brian Westbrook said:

"I didn't really hear everything. I've talked to Brian a couple times. My job is to make sure that he's kind of level in the mind and he's just ready to go at all times on the football field. Things will work themselves out. So I didn't really hear how deep he went with the whole conversation."

On whether it's possible to focus on football when someone feels so angry and disrespected:

"It is tough. When you're going through conversations back and forth, and it seems that nothing is moving in the direction that you thought it would go in, it's tough to concentrate. But I think (Westbrook) has handled it well. I think the leaders of this team have definitely made sure that he was in a position where he could just focus in on football. Then anything afterwards, that would be between he and his agent. So that's been my job. My job has been just to make sure that everything has been calm, going out to practice and being out at practice, and for him to understand that we all have his back. We're here for him and when he's on that field, he's one of the best running backs in the game."

On how valuable he thinks Westbrook is:

"I've said since training camp that he's kind of the secret weapon. He's very valuable in this offense, a person that obviously besides (wide receiver Terrell Owens) T.O., they have to gameplan for."

On whether he is excited that T.O. wants to talk to him:

"I've been here. I have no comment on that."

On whether T.O. has shown him the love yet:

"No comment on that either."

On whether he is glad that T.O. went public with the issues he has with him:

"It doesn't make a difference to me. My job is to lead this team to where we want to go. In order for that to happen we all have to be on the same page. With everything that's going on now, there's no difference pretty much with what happened earlier. I'm the quarterback of this team, the leader of this team, and I have to make sure that I am prepared to go out and have a great game."

On whether he would welcome a relationship with T.O.:

"I would welcome a relationship with everybody, even with you guys. I'm just that type of person. I'll sit down and talk to you and have a great time with you. However you define our relationship or friendship, that would be on you. But right now it's all about business and winning. And anything else besides that is something that we need to work on that will be between me and that other person."

On whether he has been approached by T.O.:

"I didn't really even see the interview. I guess it's supposed to come out this weekend. But when we're out on that field we have the best relationship possible, to be the best at what we do."

On whether he wonders why T.O. keeps bringing up his name in interviews:

"(Jokingly) I don't know. Maybe it's a unique name: Donovan. It's pretty sexy if you ask me."

On whether he thinks the wheels will be rolling on Monday Night whether or not some teammates are disgruntled:

"I think one thing that we have to do is we have to kind of just focus in on how we are on that field. That's kind of our domain. That's our place and when we're out on that field, you really can't tell who's disgruntled, who's upset, because everyone is kind of in their realm. And they get an opportunity to take a step forward and have fun. When everyone's off the field I can't really speak on that. I can only just do my job and that's out there on that field, to make sure all the guys are happy, all the guys are enjoying themselves and we're coming out with a win."

On whether he thinks this is the best Eagles team he has been on:

"I do. It seems that every year we continue to improve. If it's just the experience, or if it's the communication, or if it's just going out and being able to execute and having the confidence of what guys are out there. I feel that we have improved and I feel that the sky is the limit for us. We're not at a position right now where we can say we're at our best. We're in a great position where we feel comfortable going out, running plays, being able to execute and put points on the board. We continue to do that and grow each week to be exciting."

On how ready WR Reggie Brown is:

"It's tough to say right now. As a rookie, in your first preseason game, it seems you have butterflies, so you work through that in the preseason. Now that the lights are on and for us to start on Monday Night, I can just imagine what's roaming through his head. But again, it's my job to make sure he stays relaxed and balanced and understand that it's just a normal game. It's just like the preseason. It just so happens that everybody is going to be watching. And they're probably going to call you after the game and tell you how you did and what they liked about it, because no one else is playing at that particular time."

On whether the easiest part of his job is the on-field business:

"For me the easiest part is sleeping. It seems that everything is going at 100 miles an hour. If it's out on the field, if it's in the classroom going over the installation, in the weight room, if it's here talking about the same questions, whatever it may be, but when I get home, get a chance to relax and kick my feet up, that's when everything sort of calms down. I've been able to get adjusted to this whole deal and I'm enjoying it."

On whether there is room to improve on offense:

"There is definitely a lot of room to improve. And we're not taking baby steps, but kind of some big steps, as far as what we plan on doing. This offseason we brought in Reggie. (Guard) Shawn (Andrews) is back healthy. We have our given guys back there. (Wide receiver) Greg (Lewis) has obviously stepped into the position of playing the other side of T.O. When we all are out there, we feel that we can click on all cylinders to make big plays. I think the main thing for us is to just continue to focus in on that aspect of it and to be patient, and when it does happen, just enjoy it."

On whether he has seen anything from the Falcons defense in the preseason:

"It's kind of tough to say. You try not to do much in the preseason. You try to stay vanilla, give the guys the opportunity to play man coverage, to do some different blitzes and get the timing down with the blitzes. So they haven't done much. Just kind of watching a little bit of film on them in the preseason, as well as the last game we played them, they've done some different things. They're trying to apply a little bit more pressure on the quarterback and they feel confident that their front four will be able to do that."

The Eagles already put an offer on the table for Westbrook that is greater than what Tiki, Rudi Johnson, and Domanick Davis signed. They aren't offering him "chump change".

Are any of those guys on a team that went to the SB recently? Stop bashing WB...the FO has $12 million to play with.

It's okay, though. Another unhappy camper on the Eagles team...I'm sure they'll do fine this year. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Brian Westbrook called himself one of the best running backs in the league. And that he feels he should be payed like one. Is he one of the best runningbacks in the league? You decide, before the obligatory eagle bashing.

One of the best RB's? He's not among the top RB's in terms of rushing, that's for sure, but he's a very diverse weapon and works well for that Offense. He's probably built well for that O and I'm sure the FO made him a nice offer. I don't think he'd perform as well or be called upon as much on another team. He'd be wise to take this offer, but it doesn't look like it'll happen. We'll probably be hearing the same stuff from him this time next year.

Are any of those guys on a team that went to the SB recently? Stop bashing WB...the FO has $12 million to play with.

It's okay, though. Another unhappy camper on the Eagles team...I'm sure they'll do fine this year. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Nice logic. I'm sure you wouldn't take Westbrook over LT?

I'm not bashing Westbrook. He's a valuable member of the offense who has already received a fair offer. Hopefully a deal will still be worked out.

Nice logic. I'm sure you wouldn't take Westbrook over LT?

I'm not bashing Westbrook. He's a valuable member of the offense who has already received a fair offer. Hopefully a deal will still be worked out.

I doubt a deal will be done this year...it's gone on too long and it's become another TO situation. And WB's tone was not too conciliatory.

Funny how stubborn the Philly FO is while sitting on $12 million.

I guess great cap managment might include knowing when to spend it.

WB deserves some of the loot.

I doubt a deal will be done this year...it's gone on too long and it's become another TO situation. And WB's tone was not too conciliatory.

Funny how stubborn the Philly FO is while sitting on $12 million.

I guess great cap managment might include knowing when to spend it.

WB deserves some of the loot.

Sure he deserves some of it. They have 5 players they are looking to extend right now and Westbrook is one of them.

Neither you nor I know whether he'll be signed before the year ends, and it hardly resembles anything Owens has done/said.

Westbrook has not yet proven himself to be a top back. Yes, he is multi-talented and an exceptional receiver, but is this the guy you want carrying the ball on fourth and two at the goal line in a Super Bowl? :)

I think the Eagles should are doing the right thing in having him play for the $1.5 million and then they can make other arrangements for 2006.

Remember that his size and durability issues also come in here. He got hurt in 2003 and that hurt their postseason chances.

What the Patriots did should be the case study for the Eagles.

The Patriots ran Antowain Smith that final year to the postseason and then let him go. They then went out and found a guy that can carry the ball 340 times a season and gain 1,700 yards and 12 tds in Corey Dillon.

The Eagles in my mind need that Corey Dillon or Curtis Martin type of runner that is consistent and durable, knowing he his going to be there for 16 games and be a tough runner when the team needs the tough yards :)

Westbrook has not yet proven himself to be a top back. Yes, he is multi-talented and an exceptional receiver, but is this the guy you want carrying the ball on fourth and two at the goal line in a Super Bowl? :)

I think the Eagles should are doing the right thing in having him play for the $1.5 million and then they can make other arrangements for 2006.

Remember that his size and durability issues also come in here. He got hurt in 2003 and that hurt their postseason chances.

What the Patriots did should be the case study for the Eagles.

The Patriots ran Antowain Smith that final year to the postseason and then let him go. They then went out and found a guy that can carry the ball 340 times a season and gain 1,700 yards and 12 tds in Corey Dillon.

The Eagles in my mind need that Corey Dillon or Curtis Martin type of runner that is consistent and durable, knowing he his going to be there for 16 games and be a tough runner when the team needs the tough yards :)

This is where you and I disagree :)

Heck, would you give it to Portis on 4th and 2 in the Super Bowl? We didn't even play in the Super Bowl last year and we had people clamoring for a bruising back for short yardage.

The Pats may have ridden Smith to the Super Bowl... but they got him for nothing to begin with because he was cut. When they traded for Dillon... they actually "showed him the money".

I think the Eagles have to bite the bullet on this one. They've been good about letting some talent go.... but Westbrook is someone who is a PERFECT fit for that offense. And in that offense, he IS a top 5 back in terms of production.

I've been skeptical of Eagles runningbacks for years... but Westbrook was awesome last year. A top 5 back for sure.

If I'm the Eagles.... Westbrook doesn't get away. They've got 2/3 of the core of their offence right now (McNabb/Westbrook)... with Owens out at the end of this year.... I'm sure they can pick up another receiver next year. But why mess it up now?

Archived