Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

More Bad Press for the Redskins

Hoosierskin

I don't know that this is "bad press". As I've posted elsewhere, I think a 10-6 record might not guarantee even a wildcard this year.

Assuming the Bucs win the NFC South and no other team in that division is in the wildcard race, the following teams are all competing for a total of 5 remaining playoff spots:

Rams

49ers

Eagles

Bears

Packers

Seahawks

Redskins

Cowboys

Vikings

It's not obvious to me that we deserve to be in the top 5. We might make it, but that would be regarded as an upset, displacing a returning playoff team from that current list.

So your poll is not "bad press" -- it's just a realistic view that retains respect for the top 5 teams on that list, without dissing the Skins.

Well, this answer from a chat transcript doesn't sound too bad.

Alex(Virginia Beach): Why dont the Redskins get enough credit? They are going to win the NFC East because the Giants stink, the Cowboys are the most OVERratted team in football, and Donovan McNabb won't do anything against the Skins-D with Arrington and Trotter on him and Bailey and Smoot on the recievers

Andy Hanacek: Quite frankly, I think the Redskins' defense will be super this season and could carry the team to the forefront of the division, if not the league. Of course, this is my July prediction, so I reserve the right to change it by the beginning of the season. Anyway, I think Spurrier's offense will be just different enough to confuse enough teams and make the Redskins tough to beat. Even if the QBs and WRs struggle in the offense, which they shouldn't if it's truly a Florida offense, then the defense ought to be able to hold down the fort.

http://dynamic.espn.go.com/espn/chat/chatESPN?event_id=2070

-------------------------------------------------------------------

The media seems confused which way to lean pertaining to the skins. Either way, since the 2001 season i think the majority of them are afraid to make a prediction on the skins.They always seem to give themselves enough wiggle room so when they change their mind its not that big a deal.

Originally posted by wildbill

Well, this answer from a chat transcript doesn't sound too bad.

Alex(Virginia Beach): Why dont the Redskins get enough credit? They are going to win the NFC East because the Giants stink, the Cowboys are the most OVERratted team in football, and Donovan McNabb won't do anything against the Skins-D with Arrington and Trotter on him and Bailey and Smoot on the recievers

Andy Hanacek: Quite frankly, I think the Redskins' defense will be super this season and could carry the team to the forefront of the division, if not the league. Of course, this is my July prediction, so I reserve the right to change it by the beginning of the season. Anyway, I think Spurrier's offense will be just different enough to confuse enough teams and make the Redskins tough to beat. Even if the QBs and WRs struggle in the offense, which they shouldn't if it's truly a Florida offense, then the defense ought to be able to hold down the fort.

http://dynamic.espn.go.com/espn/chat/chatESPN?event_id=2070

-------------------------------------------------------------------

The media seems confused which way to lean pertaining to the skins. Either way, since the 2001 season i think the majority of them are afraid to make a prediction on the skins.They always seem to give themselves enough wiggle room so when they change their mind its not that big a deal.

Sorry, but I don't consider Andy Hanacek to be a ringing endorsement. He looks like he's still in college. How did this guy become an expert?

everyone that has a website or print column is not an expert, any more than an editorialist in the A Section of the Washington Post is an expert on the war in Afghanistan.

people are going on the basis of their own experiences from different teams in different sports.

new head coach, new front office = losing first season.

that is the pattern that most people come up with.

of course you can look at a team like the Jets where Herman Edwards got them into the postseason his first year.

you can take the same club and see where Bill Parcells took over a 1-15 Jets team and got them to 9-7 the following season too :)

truth is no one knows.

but one observation I can make is that Spurrier is inheriting a better core of talent than most new coaches that come into the league.

you look at what John Fox in Carolina or the guy in Detroit inherited last year and you can see why that first year syndrome is so skewed towards having a sub .500 finish.

On the other hand, I doubt Gruden will finish below .500 this season down in Tampa or Dungy will finish below .500 in Indy.

And I don't think Spurrier will either. :)

bulldog,

in all your comparisons each coach mentioned (Herman Edwards, John Fox, Gruden, Dungy) all had years of NFL experience either as a head coach or coordinator. Spurrier has none, that's the main reason for the predictions. I don't think there are many rookie HC, if any, that made the playoffs thier first year as an NFl coach.

Originally posted by Park City Skins

Apparently a great deal of cowboys fans voted on that one.

hey why are you blaming the Cowboy fans.

next you'll be blaming the Cowboys for(the Redskins) missing the play-offs for the past 2 years.

:cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :notworthy :cry: :cuss: :cry: :cuss: :high: :notworthy

Dollar, frankly I don't see where being an offensive coordinator in the NFL puts that particular new head coach in a better spot to succeed than Spurrier.

Spurrier played in the NFL for 10 years, he was a #1 draft pick. He has been the head of a high profile football program, hiring a coaching staff and coordinating the play of 60+ athletes for over 10+ years. He has dealt with disciplinary issues and issues of how to motivate players to perform.

And the argument he has not negotiated pro contracts or dealt with pro players in an adversarial role is ALSO TRUE FOR THE ASSISTANTS who get promoted.

Being a Head Coach is vastly different from coaching 3 quarterbacks or 5 running backs as a position coach or a side as a coordinator.

Two of the best coordinators in the past 20 years, Norv Turner and Buddy Ryan, were failures as head coaches largely because they lacked the organizational and personnel skills to be successful.

Seriously, you act as if Spurrier came from some out-settlement in Artic Alaska and has to learn to eat with a knife and fork and learn that he doesn't have to go out to a hut with a hole in the ground to take a ****. :laugh:

Perhaps Qcard and his ilk would like Spurrier more if he ran a 4.04 40. :laugh:

Of course, if he was the Cryboys coach, then he would be GOD. :rolleyes:

The fact is, Spurrier is a winner. He won at Duke (Duke!!!), he won at Tampa Bay in the USFL, and he won at Florida. Its not rocket science to understand why people on this board expect him to win here, early and often.

And it is not like he took over a team that was 5/11 the past two seasons either. He took over a team that was 1 or at the most, 2 win(s) from the playoffs. Why shouldn't fans expect Spurrier (and Lewis and the upgraded D and O) to bring in an extra win?

Originally posted by bulldog

Dollar, frankly I don't see where being an offensive coordinator in the NFL puts that particular new head coach in a better spot to succeed than Spurrier.

Seriously, you act as if Spurrier came from some out-settlement in Artic Alaska and has to learn to eat with a knife and fork and learn that he doesn't have to go out to a hut with a hole in the

ground to take a ****.

:lol: :lol:

bulldog,

you obviously missed my point about regarding my statement. I said the fact that Spurrier has ZERO NFL experience as a coach is why these bad press statemants are around.

Can't you see the logic behind it? Just being in the NFL even as a coordinator in recent years is light years ahead of when Spurrier was sucking big time in his 0-14 start as an NFL QB back before FA.

As with any job there are nuances that will need to be learned. History has proven that college coaches do not succeed in thier first year as much as they expect even since FA. That is the bases for these type of articles that this topic was discussing.

heck even recently as a few weeks ago Spurrier was clueless as to how to practice in the NFL:

From ESPN: Spurrier was setting up the practice schedule He asked lewis, "which fields do you want for the defense, the offense will take whats left." Lewis confused said "steve we only have 53 people, we practice together" unlike college where you have 88 or so.

Perhaps Qcard and his ilk would like Spurrier more if he ran a 4.04 40.

:rofl:

Seriously, I don't think it's bad press either. Why would anyone else EXPECT us to make the playoffs? There are a lot of unknowns to factor in witht this team.

When I saw bad press, I thought it was a quote by a player or coach. Maybe a negative action like a certain team is known for. A poll is not bad press except in politics. In fact, with a result that can easily be portrayed as negative, this could be a positive.

Archived