Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cliff Smith is out playing L. Marshall 8 to 1

boobiemiles

Thats right. C. Smith is looking better at the MLb than L. Marshall as far as stats goes. So far L. Marshall has only recorded 1 tackle in two games, white C. Smith has 8. I know this isn't the sexy position that QB is, but it vital to our success.......maybe not. When L Marshall was in the game we held Rudi Johnson to 2 yards a carry, 2 yards. I know some of you don't know this but M. Lewis is getting some good things out of his players. Rudi Johnson was a pro bowler last year, and so was Tory James (he's the one that caught both int's Friday). Also A. Pierce had 6 tackles with help on 3 of them. Plus he was getting blown up by Carolina on the Counter Tre plays.

Thats right. C. Smith is looking better at the MLb than L. Marshall as far as stats goes. So far L. Marshall has only recorded 1 tackle in two games, white C. Smith has 8. I know this isn't the sexy position that QB is, but it vital to our success.......maybe not. When L Marshall was in the game we held Rudi Johnson to 2 yards a carry, 2 yards. I know some of you don't know this but M. Lewis is getting some good things out of his players. Rudi Johnson was a pro bowler last year, and so was Tory James (he's the one that caught both int's Friday). Also A. Pierce had 6 tackles with help on 3 of them. Plus he was getting blown up by Carolina on the Counter Tre plays.

As far as what matters, Smith has more tackles because hes getting beat on pass coverage and making the tackle after the catch. Plus hes playing against 3rd string. No comparison, if Smith can get it done against 1st teamers great, but until then he can't out play someone thats playing against a different caliber of players.

:psyche:

Well, stats don't mean that much in the preseason, for a number of reasons. The first team defense did not get nearly the amount of playing time as the backups, for one thing. Not playing against 1st teamers is another.

And I thought Holdman played pretty well too. I have a feeling that he'll get a ton of playing time this year.

Also, there appear to be some contradictions in your post.

"I know this isn't the sexy position that QB is, but it vital to our success.......maybe not"

?????????

"When L Marshall was in the game we held Rudi Johnson to 2 yards a carry, 2 yards.

Without checking that stat sheet, doesn't this actually make a case for Marshall?

Honestly, I don't think C. Smith has looked all that great in pre-season. He's always getting beat and made a mental mistake on not diving on the fumbled football that cost us another big play that Greg Williams is looking for.

You know I've read the hype on this board about him being a potential 1st rounder when he came out. Now, we are starting to see why his talent was passed by other teams in the league. There are 4 or 5 other MLB's that can do the same thing he's doing right now.

One thing I noticed with Marshall is on three occassions he moved people into the right position and we made a big, negative play. He seems to be taking well to the QB of the defense role and you can see the results in limited time. Smith is a big body I'd like to think can succeed. Same with McCune. But, Marshall has looked pretty good getting guys organized out there.

WTF? Is this stream of consciouness?

I think Smith has looked pretty decent, and I think its important to remember that if he is playing well Gregg Williams will find some packages that are suited for him to be on the field for.

McCune should make the team but he is in no ways playing better then Smith. He is a nice story and could be a player but I saw him out of position several times allowing I believe Keny Watson to run right by him....He needs work within the system before he'll be ready to contribute. I would put him down as a player to watch in '06(which is not that bad of a thing for a 6th rounder)....

didn't Smith lose that fumble by not falling on the ball?

I don't believe he's going to make the team.

obviously since he didn't get the ball and score, that comment makes sense. he was sorta out in the open with nothing but redskins around him. it woulda been the conservative thing to do, but i don't mind him grabbing it in that situation. should carlos rogers run out of bounds or downed himself after the pick to ensure he maintained possession? the bengals eventually getting the ball back looked like typical redskins bad luck to me. i mean he kicks the ball and it goes backwards? that's some crazy ish.

But the MOST important reason for picking the Mike is how well he handles the defensive signals and makes sure everyone is lined up correctly.

Considering how well the first string defense has played, I'd say Marshall has a firm lock on the starting position. You don't mess with something that is working well.

Archived