Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OT - Armstrong takes the lead

Henry

I can't help but think what Armstrong has accomplished is the most amazing thing in sports today. I'm not sure many of us realy appreciate his accomplishments because we don't follow cycling here in the U.S.

I know a lot of people thought he should have won Sportsman of the Year the first year he won the Tour, seeing as he had just recovered from cancer and all.

Back to back to back to back wins is just insanely impressive.:notworthy

Alot of Europeans dont like Armstrong especially the French.

Imagine if his team mate's bike didnt get stuck with his and added 20 plus seconds to his time last week.

It would be like tiger woods with a 5 stroke lead going into sunday.

You guys are forgetting about Greg Lemond. That tough SOB won teh Tour, then got shot by a shotgun, and with pellets still in the lining of his heart, won 2 more Tours.

And then there was Indurain (sp?) who won like 5 or 6 in a row in the early 1990's.

Still, stories about Armstong's training habits in Texas are the things of legend.

Not only has Armstrong had cancer, but stage 3 testicular cancer. The cancer had spread to both his lungs and his brain. His prognosis was not good, and he took part in a rather experimental radiation/chemotherapy program that almost killed him. The chemo alone, which in most cases damages the lungs long term, should have ended his cycling career. Read his book, "It's not about the Bike" for the whole story.

But, one thing the cancer treatments did do for him was lean him up. Before, he had alot of upper body muscle that hindered his ability to contend in the time trial stages. Additionally, having to pull the upper body up those agonizing mountain stages also hindered his ability to win the early Tour de France races. The chemo/radiation withered away his upper body, and he simply built his legs into human pistons. Amazing.......

Armstrong is in-your-face competitive, and isn't afraid to show it. They still talk about "the look" he gave his chief rival, Jan Ullrich, last year as he pulled away from him in the hills. Basically, they made eye contact and both showed with their eyes that they new Armstrong was the better cyclist and would win.

Anyway, the pansy-assed Frogs don't like that kind of thing. They prefer wine, soft jazz, and Jerry Lewis comedies. Last I heard they were being annexed to West Hollywood.

Archived