Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Know Your Enemy: Week 1

RiggoRanger

The season hasn't even begun yet, and already our opponents' fans are plotting against us! Check out what the lowly Cards fans think about the Skins:

AZPROSPORTS.COM

just found out that the Washington training camp is in Carlisle, about 1/2 hour from me. Does anyone know if they still charge admittance to camp? If so, I'll never set foot down there. If not, I can go scout for our first game!
stout - could you please post your observations of the3 training camp? these spurrier-lead skins are an unknown quantity right now and i'm curious about them. we face them first thing and a win would set the right tone for the beginning of the season!

Here's a little tidbit about the Cards themselves:

Cardinals | Boston Won't Undergo Surgery- posted at KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)July 11, 2002 9:53:50 PT

Darren Urban, of the East Valley Tribune, reports Arizona Cardinals WR David Boston's knee tendinitis is enough of a problem that surgery has been considered. However, Boston will try to play through pain this season instead of going under the knife. A team official confirmed on Wednesday that his sore right knee may limit him to one practice a day during training camp and could also keep him out of some practice during the season. The knee soreness is being compared to a nagging toothache -- not serious enough to sideline him but enough that he'll have to deal with the pain.

KFFL Cards notebook

That nagging knee injury could slow Boston down quite a bit, and Frank Sanders on the other side is coming back from an injury-filled season. It could be a long season for Cards fans. In other news, ice is cold. :laugh:

What a bunch of idiots. Emmitt turned pro after his junior year. SOS started at UF the following year so Emmitt never actually played for SOS. Hopefully the Arizona staff is as sharp as their fans.

Emmitt was my favorite player while I was at UF. I almost cried when I saw him get drafted by the 'pokes. ANYONE but them and I would have been happy. It sucked to have to root against him, but what can you do.

Anyway - they need all the help they can get. SOS is going to light them up!

"...we face them first thing and a win would set the right tone for the beginning of the season! "

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Oh God no!!! Please stop it!!! I can't take any more or I'm going to wet my pants. God that's funny.

Even with their draft picks to shore up their DL, I still don't think they're going to be much good against the run. I'm on record on this one--Davis has two 120+ yard days on them this season and we sweep them.....yet again.

Originally posted by Yusuf06

"...we face them first thing and a win would set the right tone for the beginning of the season! "

:rotflmao:

Oh God no!!! Please stop it!!! I can't take any more or I'm going to wet my pants. God that's funny.

Even with their draft picks to shore up their DL, I still don't think they're going to be much good against the run. I'm on record on this one--Davis has two 120+ yard days on them this season and we sweep them.....yet again.

Yeah, it's too bad they're not in the div anymore; they were everyone's favorite whipping boys :laugh:

The only time I remember the Cards beating us was by kicking those lousy last-minute field goals they were so famous for.:rolleyes:

If the NFL ever looks at contraction, you'd have to think Arizona would be a prime candidate.

Who's the next player they can develop for us? Someone on the order of Ken Harvey or Larry Centers. I'm thinking we might want Leonard Davis once he's seasoned a bit. Maybe Kwame Lassiter.

Guest SkinsHokie Fan

Wow read some of the other posts about the game vs us. Those are some pretty ignorant fans in the desert.

it's true. My brother in law lives in Phoenix and says there are more Redskins and Dallas fans at the home games than Cards fans.

most of the fans know the team is going to lose and just go to the Stadium to see the other team's stars and to get drunk :laugh:

sort of sounds like Wizards fans for the past 20 years :)

From a few follow-ups on the same thread: (My emphasis)

The Def will be an afterthought to Spurrier, but it will be in good hands. The Skins are going to rely heavily on it when Spurrier realizes that not even he can get an O rolling with the stable of QBs and recievers he has there. I think it will be interesting to see how teams game plan the skins at the beginning of the year. I think people might actually put a lot of emphasis on stacking the line against the run and stopping Davis, and giving Spurrier the dare to try his passing attack in the NFL.
If I were playing the skins tomorrow I would play 8 men in the box and stop Stephen Davis. Shane Mathews will end up the starter. He will dink and dunk you to death, if he has the running game going.

I agree with these folks (as to how I'd gameplan against Steve). (One of my favorite Star Trek lines: When Scotty points out (about the Gorn) that "We don't know anything about their technology. They may be faster than we are." Kirk's response is "They'll have to prove it"). If I'm an enemy's DC, my attitude is that I know what Steven Davis can do. Steve Spurrier is going to have to make me worry about him.

what people always fail to consider is what a talented coach can do to get production from players in his system.

I am glad to see at least one or two Cardinals fans recognize that.

Joe Gibbs won the Super Bowl with a 32 year old gimpy kneed, part-time starter in Doug Williams, and Mark Rypien, a former #6 pick who had literally no mobility in the pocket and didn't have a good touch on the short pass.

He won his first Super Bowl with a cast of characters at receiver including Virgil Seay, Alvin Garrett, Charlie Brown and a third down bakc that had been substitute teaching in the Miami-Dade system before being recalled to the NFL, Nick Giaquinto.

Up the road, Bill Parcells took a 1-15 Jets club and with many of the same performers got the squad to 9-7 the next season.

Coaches make a world of difference in the NFL and have a far greater effect on their team's success than coaches in the NBA or NHL.

Gotta agree with SonnyJ. I know SOS is no Norval, but when Turner was fired, the media threw out some stat that he had a losing record against the Cards. It's these kind of games that we have to take seriously - though I'm sure that Spurrier knows he needs the opening week W to court SKins faithful.

Plus, Boston (cokehead or not) is not an easy man to mark. Champ did well, but it was touch and go on most every pass play.

"... and giving Spurrier the dare to try his passing attack in the NFL."

This is one thing I haven't been concerned about. Successful or not, I don't think Spurrier is going to be timid about trying his passing attack in the NFL. This is pure filler.

"Joe Gibbs won the Super Bowl with a 32 year old gimpy kneed, part-time starter in Doug Williams, and Mark Rypien, a former #6 pick who had literally no mobility in the pocket and didn't have a good touch on the short pass. " - bulldog

As well as a young, back-up RB that was out of the league in a few short years ... Timmy Smith. If I'm not mistaken he still holds the Super Bowl single-game rushing record. Yes, systems can work well with good (but not great) talent.

Archived